It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:05 pm 

Former Loyola target and DePaul Prep player (current Illinois player) Terrence Shannon Jr has been arrested in Kansas on rape charges. Seems like we dodged a bullet there from a character standpoint.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:26 pm 

He hasn't been convicted of anything at this point. How about giving him his due process before making judgements on his character?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:13 pm 

If I remember correctly from when he was being recruited, he was related somehow to a former Rambler . I can’t remember who or what the relationship was.

Not a good situation, to say the least, no matter what the outcome and facts end up being. If he’s innocent, it’s terrible to be put through and have to fight it. If he did it, well that’s terrible for obvious reasons. Either way, if this isn’t dropped quickly, I have to think his college career is done.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:15 pm 

Little update here, for anyone interested:

-Hutty (UNI) - Panthers have three wins in a row, albeit against not the best competition (N. Ill., Alcorn St., Prairie View A&M). Hutty scored 11, 7 and 1 point and grabbed 4, 2 and 2 boards. Notably, against NIU, he had 6 assists but also 4 TOs. He still hasn't hit a 3 this year (0-4) and is shooting a brutal 51% from the charity stripe. UNI is sitting at 0-2 in MVC play, which really gets going tomorrow.

-Saint Thomas (North Colorado) - Saint has put up some nice numbers (27 points vs Colorado, 24 points vs Air Force). Might have gotten hurt in their most recent game as he only played 6 minutes vs N. Arizona. He's been a pretty high volume shooter--22 shots vs Colorado (2-8 3P) and 13 shots vs Air Force (3-5 3P). He is also rebounding at an impressive rate (17 boards on 12/11 vs Tex A&M-Commerce, 9 boards vs Colorado, 10 boards vs Air Force). Overall, some impressive stuff from Saint as he leads the team in points (17.4 PPG), rebounds (9.4 RPG), assists (3.3 APG) and steals (1.7 SPG).

-TY Johnson (UC Davis) - TY is getting some big minutes and has had some decent games. Not shooting great but had 10 assists vs UCSB. Most recent game against Cal-Poly, he played 32 minutes but only shot 2-10 from the floor (1-2 from 3). His best game of the season game on 12/16 vs Pacific, where he put up a big 30 points (12-19 shooting, 5-8 from 3). Overall, I'd characterize his season ahs inconsistent. He is averaging 14.9 PPG (2nd on team), 3.4 APG (team leader), 1.6 SPG (team leader), 3 TPG (team leader). I think this is a good level of competition for him. He's gotten his FG% up to 45.9 and 3P% up to 35.1.

-Paxson Wojcik (North Carolina) - Paxson's minutes have been dropping quite a bit. Playing only a few minutes in UNC's bigger games (2 min vs OU, 2 min vs UK, 8 min vs UConn). UNC beat familiar foe Charleston Southern by 45 a few nights ago. Paxson played 11 min but shot 1-4 (0-3 3P) with two points. He had a nice moment with Porter after UNC's win over OU.

-Marquise Kennedy (UIC) - Quise has only played 5, 4 and 8 min in UIC's last three games (all losses, to SIU, Incarnate Word & UW-Green Bay). After a nice start to the season, the Flames have sputtered quite a bit, sitting at 7-6 overall (0-2 in MVC play). Not sure if Quise's lack of playing time is due to nagging injury or a coach's decision.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:01 pm 

"He hasn't been convicted of anything at this point. How about giving him his due process before making judgements on his character?"

No, I am perfectly comfortable not wanting Loyola student athletes making the news for being arrested for rape. A university is built on its reputation both inside and outside of the classroom. Loyola doesn't need any scandals, even if this turns out to be a Duke Lacrosse situation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:42 am 

Great story about Saint Thomas...

‘Best I’ve ever felt’: UNC basketball player Saint Thomas credits tending to mental health for strong game on the court

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:54 am 

Wow...thanks for posting the article...lot to unpack there....glad he is doing better and thriving...just guess wish he had been talking about LU...For whatever reason seems like Drew was feeling a lot of pressure last year...hopefully everyone has grown...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:22 pm 

Been a while, so I figured I would check in with our former Ramblers:

-Hutty (UNI) - Hutty has been getting a consistent ~20 minutes per game. Panthers have lost 4 of their last 5 games, including most recently, a loss to UIC (ha ha, who could be so bad as to lose to UIC, ha ha...right, right?). They find themselves in a three-way tie for 5th in the MVC at 7-7. Hutty putting up 8.4 PPG, 4 RPG. Had a nice game vs MoSt on 2/7, putting up 14 points, with 8 boards, 2 assists, 3 blocks and 2 steals. He's fixed his FT shooting a bit recently, but is still under 60%. I'd like to see him get more shots from deep, as I think he has that ability. But UNI seems to be using as a traditional back to the basket center. Overall, he's been a fairly average MVC center. Wouldn't have much of a role on our squad with Dame & Miles.

-Saint Thomas (North Colorado) - The Bears are sitting at 8-3 in the Big Sky, 2 GB of Eastern Washington at 10-1. A legit chance to win their conference tourney and dance. And Saint Thomas has been critical in their success. He's averaging 20 PPG (good for 27th in the country), 9.9 RPG (17th in the nation), basically averaging a double-double. Points scored in his last 10 games: 37, 27, 20, 20, 20, 20, 18, 29, 12, 23. On 2/3 vs Weber St., he shot 13-13 from the free throw line. He is a high volume shooter, putting up ~15 shots every game. Not the best shooter from deep (33%) but a very acceptable 48% from the field and 87% from the charity stripe. Happy for him. Seems to have found a great home.

-TY Johnson (UC Davis) - Like N. Colorado, UC-Davis sitting in 2nd in conference play at 10-3, one game back of 11-2 UC-Irvine. And TY has been a big part of that success. He's scoring 16.5 PPG (2nd on team) and 3.3 APG. Has his 3P% up to 34.7%, which is decent for a PG. Seems to be a steady scorer, although he's had some pretty bad TO games (including 7 TOs on 1/13, 5 TOs on 1/20 and 5 TOs 2/8). Wonder what his role would be on this team, if he had stayed.
, 1.6 SPG (team leader), 3 TPG (team leader). I think this is a good level of competition for him. He's gotten his FG% up to 45.9 and 3P% up to 35.1.

-Paxson Wojcik (North Carolina) - After a big dip in numbers, in UNC's last two games, Paxson saw 22 minutes in a home loss to Clemson and 18 minutes in a road win vs Miami. Didn't do a ton stat-wise with those minutes (7 points, 6 boards, 1 assist vs Clemson and 0 points, 3 boards vs Miami on 0-2 shooting). Not sure if there was an injury for UNC or if someone got benched after their embarrassing loss vs Georgia Tech. UNC is tracking towards a 1 or 2 seed in the tourney. Hope Paxson continues to get nice minutes.

-Marquise Kennedy (UIC) - Quise has started getting some better minutes, hopefully a sign he is feeling healthier. No big games points-wise. But has been grabbing a few boards and steals every game. UIC is on a two game win streak (@ISUr and vs UNI) after a seven game losing streak. Against the Redbirds, Quise played 21 minutes, scored 5 points (2-3 shooting), grabbed 2 boards and 2 steals. Against UNI, he played 18 minutes, scored 4 (2-5 shooting), grabbed 5 boards, 3 assists and 2 steals. Love seeing him getting more time. Every win by UIC helps us a tiny bit, as they are by far our worse loss of the season and quite the millstone around our NET ranking.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:27 am 

Huttie and Marquis play today in the quarterfinals of the Valley tournament. UIC upset SIU yesterday in double overtime. Marquis had 7 in 21 minutes. Gotta feel a little for Coach Mullins losing Jones and Damask to Purdue and U of I through the portal. What a team that would have been this year.
I really enjoyed going to March Madness

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:00 am 

natetheskate wrote:
Huttie and Marquis play today in the quarterfinals of the Valley tournament. UIC upset SIU yesterday in double overtime. Marquis had 7 in 21 minutes. Gotta feel a little for Coach Mullins losing Jones and Damask to Purdue and U of I through the portal. What a team that would have been this year.
I really enjoyed going to March Madness

I think the fact that Mullins had Jones & Domask, who are now two top tier Big Ten players, on his roster and was able to do diddly squat with them might say some things about his coaching... It's a tough situation for him and SIU. He was so beloved there as a player.

Quise got hurt near the end of the game last night. Hope he is alright. UIC has so much talent. Isaiah Rivera just took over the game last night and carried the Flames on his back during both OTs. Hope they beat Bradley tonight, but the Braves are pretty solid this year.

I miss Arch Madness as well. One of the best conference tourneys in the country and so easy to get to for us Chicagoans.

I'll update this thread when the Big Sky (Saint Thomas) and Big West (TY Johnson) tourneys get going.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next