It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tracking Former Ramblers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:41 pm 

Liked this thread in prior years so figured I'd start it for this season. Interesting (to me at least) to follow guys who have transferred out of the program. Will try to keep it relatively updated.

- Jacob Hutson (UNI) - Hutty got the start for the Panthers against a strong mid-major team in North Texas. He was third on the team with 32 minutes. Finished with 11 points on 4-10 FG (no 3PT attempts). I watched the game and thought he looked OK. Missed some very easy bunnies and had a couple ugly free throws. Overall, Jacobsen is going to give Hutty big minutes and I think he is going to be a solid MVC center. Fits in well there. Panthers lost in OT in a fun game.

-TY Johnson (UC Davis) - Johnson is "the guy" on this years UC Davis team. In their opener, he finished with 28 points on 11-18 FG (6-12 FTs, gross). He had the game winning layup in a 79-78 win over Pepperdine.

-Saint Thomas (Northern Colorado) - Haven't played a D1 opponent yet, but Saint appears to be a big part of this year's team. Played 21 min vs "Colorado College" and scored 9 points on 3-8 shooting (0-3 3PT). Played 28 min vs "Northern New Mexico" and led the team with 20 points on 6-9 shooting (2-5 3PT).

-Marquise Kennedy (UIC) - DNP in the team's opening 11 point loss to Cincy. Hope to see him on the court on Tuesday at Gentile.

-Baylor Hebb (remember him?) left Colorado State and is now at UTEP. Thinking he has to sit this year as a two-time transfer. He DNP in either of the team's two opening blowouts vs non-D1 teams.

Think that's it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:20 pm 

goramblers2011 wrote:
Liked this thread in prior years so figured I'd start it for this season. Interesting (to me at least) to follow guys who have transferred out of the program. Will try to keep it relatively updated.

- Jacob Hutson (UNI) - Hutty got the start for the Panthers against a strong mid-major team in North Texas. He was third on the team with 32 minutes. Finished with 11 points on 4-10 FG (no 3PT attempts). I watched the game and thought he looked OK. Missed some very easy bunnies and had a couple ugly free throws. Overall, Jacobsen is going to give Hutty big minutes and I think he is going to be a solid MVC center. Fits in well there. Panthers lost in OT in a fun game.

-TY Johnson (UC Davis) - Johnson is "the guy" on this years UC Davis team. In their opener, he finished with 28 points on 11-18 FG (6-12 FTs, gross). He had the game winning layup in a 79-78 win over Pepperdine.

-Saint Thomas (Northern Colorado) - Haven't played a D1 opponent yet, but Saint appears to be a big part of this year's team. Played 21 min vs "Colorado College" and scored 9 points on 3-8 shooting (0-3 3PT). Played 28 min vs "Northern New Mexico" and led the team with 20 points on 6-9 shooting (2-5 3PT).

-Marquise Kennedy (UIC) - DNP in the team's opening 11 point loss to Cincy. Hope to see him on the court on Tuesday at Gentile.

-Baylor Hebb (remember him?) left Colorado State and is now at UTEP. Thinking he has to sit this year as a two-time transfer. He DNP in either of the team's two opening blowouts vs non-D1 teams.

Think that's it?

Thanks! I've been hoping someone would do this.

Paxson Wojcik started for North Carolina!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:56 pm 

Looks like Isaiah Budjoso, who was a freshman for the 18-19 season (wow that was a long time ago!), is playing his 3rd season for Brock University in Ontario, two games so far and he started in both playing just under 20 min in each.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:24 pm 

Forgot about Paxson! He had a great season with Brown last year and walked away with an Ivy League degree. Now starting for one of the most storied college basketball programs. Pretty cool. I'll be sure to include him in future updates.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:06 pm 

TY Johnson. The on that got away.....which is sad and strange as he would seem to fit perfectly in the style that Drew is trying to play.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:57 am 

thanks for starting the post. Always interested in those guys that leave.
you could see the basketball IQ and solid fundamentals in Paxson (coaches son) when he was at LU. I am curious to see how he has physically matured. He was so skinny when he was here at LU. Also curious if he left or we chased him away. You could see that Ty was not happy with his lack of playing time. Wonder if is physical traits would have translated to the A-10.
After watching some not so good basketball last year and a questionable performance against FAU you have to think that part of the job of a coach is being a good chef...getting the correct ingredients for the dish you are trying to make. No tremendous talent on the Final Four team but the correct ingredients for the dish Porter was cooking. Right now not even sure what dish we are trying to cook and feels like we are just grabbing ingredients off the cupboard shelf....I think I like farm to table.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:00 am 

Does Wes Rubin count as a former Rambler?

This might be a be straying slightly off topic, but were either Marcus Domask or Lance Jones being recruited by Loyola when Mullins left? They're both with Big Ten teams in their grad/covid year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:08 am 

The one that hurts is TY. He’s exactly the type of guard we need. Fast, capable of penetrating and creating his own shot. I am not sure why he left, but letting him get a way hurts. He’s not perfect, but he would be upgrade over Quinn and Dolan.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:40 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
thanks for starting the post. Always interested in those guys that leave.
you could see the basketball IQ and solid fundamentals in Paxson (coaches son) when he was at LU. I am curious to see how he has physically matured. He was so skinny when he was here at LU. Also curious if he left or we chased him away. You could see that Ty was not happy with his lack of playing time. Wonder if is physical traits would have translated to the A-10.
After watching some not so good basketball last year and a questionable performance against FAU you have to think that part of the job of a coach is being a good chef...getting the correct ingredients for the dish you are trying to make. No tremendous talent on the Final Four team but the correct ingredients for the dish Porter was cooking. Right now not even sure what dish we are trying to cook and feels like we are just grabbing ingredients off the cupboard shelf....I think I like farm to table.

To be fair, even the Final Four team had some rough games to start the year. I’m not sure anyone in their right mind was thinking NCAA potential after the Boise State (and Milwaukee) disasters.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:52 pm 

Remember we were w/o Custer for UWM and someone else was injured....Boise...who can play on a blue floor.?