It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:12 am 

SIU insiders confirm there will be a serious conversation about a dismissal.

I'd be flipping out like all of SIU fans if any of our guys transferred out to P5's and lit it up with them too.

Recruiting is not the issue. It's a systems and scheme issue.

Another consideration, they've had (3?) athletic directors in a 5 year span. That is also not good.

After a frivolous comeback, SIU had a 98% chance of winning the game with 40 seconds left in the game. Mind blowing......

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:36 am 

RamblerRagas wrote:
SIU insiders confirm there will be a serious conversation about a dismissal.

I'd be flipping out like all of SIU fans if any of our guys transferred out to P5's and lit it up with them too.

Recruiting is not the issue. It's a systems and scheme issue.

Another consideration, they've had (3?) athletic directors in a 5 year span. That is also not good.

After a frivolous comeback, SIU had a 98% chance of winning the game with 40 seconds left in the game. Mind blowing......

Followed SIU this year. They had SO many meltdowns in the final minutes of games. Mullins cannot help but try to play "hold and stall" ball with the lead. It bit him in the ass over and over and over. And it seems he didn't learn his lesson at all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:15 pm 

SIU officially parting ways with Mullins. Feel really bad for him. He loves SIU, gave them everything he had. Just wasn't enough. Really tough to end that way with the school you played for.

Will be interesting to see where he lands next. Maybe back to Porter's staff?

Also will be interesting to see what route SIU takes in the coaching search. If they were smart, they'd following Indiana St.'s roadmap and hire an up-and-comer in the D2 ranks with a creative system.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:05 pm 

I am hearing some rumors that Mullins was offered an associate position on the OU staff last summer, had SIU wanted to do this last year.....

This will be interesting to watch. #searchSZN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:18 am 

There were some “big money” (in quotes) donors who were pushing for Mullins to be replaced…but, I will tell you, in my experience as an SIU alum and conversations with people in my network…this was not a popular decision with many, many small to let’s call them currently medium donors. They’d better hit a home run with who they hire to replace B Mullins, or support for that program (or the people in charge, at the very least) is going to nosedive fast.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:21 am 

where were the big donors at SIU when they needed to keep Jones and Damask?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:38 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
where were the big donors at SIU when they needed to keep Jones and Damask?

Correct. That’s why I put it in quotes. SIU was slow to the game to set up a proper NIL structure, and a few other things. When you look at the 5 years Mullins was there, you had Covid years, a sea change in transfers completely changing how coaches had to recruit, and NIL coming in with a lot of mid major athletic departments, including SIU, slow to the game. And through all that SIU won more than they lost with a first time head coach, including a 23 win season. And his reward was to be fired with a flowery kick to the curb. Looking at all that together is why a lot of people are not happy, and why it’ll be hitting the lottery if they can convince anyone better to take the job.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:52 pm 

It will be interesting who takes over. I think people who know Mullen will look at the short time frame he was given and wonder why. They may have created a situation where they might have to “overpay” the next coach. They have boxed themselves into the new and upcoming coach ranks, i.e. a coach looking for that 1st D1 job. More established coaches might not want to consider a situation where a school fires a good basketball coach and has had the turnover they have had in their administration. They might have to overpay the coach AND show they have NIL money for him to work with.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:23 am 

Unfortunately, Saint Thomas and the #2 seed Northern Colorado Bears were upset by the #8 seed Idaho State Bengals. Saint played all 40 minutes in the loss. Shot a disappointing 4-11 from the field (12 pts), grabbed 6 boards and had 9 assists.

TY Johnson and the UC Davis Aggies grabbed the #2 seed in the Big West tourney. They have a bye to the semifinals, which will be played Friday. The #1 seed is the very tough UC Irvine Anteaters.

Hutty and the UNI Panthers got smoked in the semis of Arch Madness vs the Sycamores.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:14 pm 

Northern Colorado lost in the Big West championship. Saint Thomas "opted out" of playing in the team's CBI game. He officially entered the transfer portal today. He put up 19.7 points, 9.8 boards and 4.2 assists--big time numbers. I expect him to land at a P6 program.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next