It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:10 am 

I dont think the sky is falling but I am worried we didnt learn anything from last years experience. We seem to have a similar issue with rotations and recruiting 1 and done transfers and similar turnover issues due to guards that lack athleticism. Its possible FAU is simply that much better than us and the second issue solves itself when we play lesser teams, but I sort of doubt that. The first issue wont resolve itself without action from the coach and last year he never took the necessary action.

Obviously its just one game and we'll learn more here in the next few weeks. In the meantime I hope Dawson heals up quickly because boy oh boy did he look electric.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:02 pm 

Ramblerguy wrote:
Oh and one more thing.. What was that half time all about? Am I missing something?

I guess Barstool's whole thing is fat 40-somethings "being wacky." Oh and can you believe it -- the announcers had money on the game. They don't care WHO they offend!!! I know that because they talked about it, let's see... every goddamn second of the game. Somebody might want to tell them when there's gambling commercials in every single NFL ad break, it's no longer edgy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:03 pm 

Only dropped to 79 in Kenpom, so according to the analytics we weren’t quite as disappointing as we all feel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:21 pm 

01grad wrote:

On a side note, one part I did see was when I believe Dawson went down with an injury? Was he able to come back?

He seemed to hurt his knee. Went down under the basket. Tried to come back in a couple of times but didn't last long.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:22 pm 

440Rambler wrote:
similar turnover issues due to guards that lack athleticism.

But TEN of our turnovers were from Watson and Quinn who supposedly ARE athletic!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:42 pm 

If you don't think Bradens inability or to get away from a defender in any meaningful way hinders the offense and leads to turnovers from him and others than were watching different teams. A motion offense that creates no separation off the motion isn't an offense in my eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:50 pm 

I’m not saying the turnovers shouldn’t be a concern, but I think a lot of us are dismissing the insane amount of talent and experience of the opponent, merely because their jerseys said “FAU” and not “ Arizona,” “ Kentucky,” “ North Carolina,” or “Gonzaga,” who coincidentally are all teams FAU is ranked ahead of. All five starters returned, and have 40+ games of experience playing together in their system. That’s tough to beat. Imagine if Krutwig would’ve came back after 2021, and that’s basically the type of veteran talent FAU has this year. We would have been a top 10 team as well if we had Norris, Uguak, Williamson, Clemons, Krutwig, Hall, Kennedy and Schwieger and Chris Knight in 2022. We certainly would have gotten out of the first round of the NCAA tournament. He probably would’ve been a four or five seed.

Combine the talent and experience they had with all our newcomers in game 1, and it’s easy to see why we should lose this game by 13. It’s a shame we didn’t get to play this one 5 games into the season when we have a more established rotation. We might be only 4 or 5 points slower than them. You insert a brand name team in for FAU, and I think we would all feel decent with the result of the game, considering our guys and it being their first game together.

There may be a time to panic, but I don’t think right now is that time. This is not a bad loss.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:12 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
I’m not saying the turnovers shouldn’t be a concern, but I think a lot of us are dismissing the insane amount of talent and experience of the opponent, merely because their jerseys said “FAU” and not “ Arizona,” “ Kentucky,” “ North Carolina,” or “Gonzaga,” who coincidentally are all teams FAU is ranked ahead of. All five starters returned, and have 40+ games of experience playing together in their system. That’s tough to beat. Imagine if Krutwig would’ve came back after 2021, and that’s basically the type of veteran talent FAU has this year. We would have been a top 10 team as well if we had Norris, Uguak, Williamson, Clemons, Krutwig, Hall, Kennedy and Schwieger and Chris Knight in 2022. We certainly would have gotten out of the first round of the NCAA tournament. He probably would’ve been a four or five seed.

Combine the talent and experience they had with all our newcomers in game 1, and it’s easy to see why we should lose this game by 13. It’s a shame we didn’t get to play this one 5 games into the season when we have a more established rotation. We might be only 4 or 5 points slower than them. You insert a brand name team in for FAU, and I think we would all feel decent with the result of the game, considering our guys and it being their first game together.

There may be a time to panic, but I don’t think right now is that time. This is not a bad loss.

Agreed. The game against Creighton might tell us how much we learn and improve from this one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:56 pm 

I am disappointed with losing, but I am optimistic. This was a mismatch from the day they announced it. They are an experienced, skilled team. They were a machine last year. We are rolling out with a half dozen new players. FAU was one of the best teams in the nation last year and it looks like they will do it again. It's amazing they have the schedule they have. They will play Butler, Illinois, Texas Tech, the Bonnies and Arizona. Based on what I saw last year, they will be a formidable opponent and a top ten team all year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:47 pm 

I actually think a very telling game will be UIC next week. Creighton is a tough task to get comparison with in my opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next