It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pre-game
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:11 am 

Has there ever been any concrete evidence the University wanted Hamilton's closed? That was the rumor when I was a student. With everything else failing it seems possible that they just couldn't keep going. I don't live in the area any more but it seems strange no one can keep a bar open.

Cunneen's was and is my preference for hanging out when I'm in the neighborhood. But back in the day I would see students studying in there so it may not be the pre-game vibe you're looking for.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:37 pm 

jmiller2794 wrote:
Has there ever been any concrete evidence the University wanted Hamilton's closed? That was the rumor when I was a student. With everything else failing it seems possible that they just couldn't keep going. I don't live in the area any more but it seems strange no one can keep a bar open.

Cunneen's was and is my preference for hanging out when I'm in the neighborhood. But back in the day I would see students studying in there so it may not be the pre-game vibe you're looking for.

I thought the University ended up just buying the place and operating Bar 63, but I could be wrong about that. Either way, without Hamilton's "creative" policies I'm sure it turned into a huge money pit.

Same problem I imagine Bulldog's had -- outside of the students, most of whom can't legally drink, the residents in the area aren't a huge barhopping demo. The yuppies that are your prime moneymaker are generally living closer to the loop.

Maybe they can expand Bruno's a bit. If you're truly desperate, they serve beer at Blaze Pizza...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:36 pm 

Coming from a current student (21+)..The O is still alive and kickin ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:14 am 

are you talking Dons Oasis???? Oh the stories I could tell!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:07 pm 

Appears Porkchop is leaning into the void left by Bulldog. Just got my season ticket packet and season tickets holders get 50% off drinks 2 hours prior to any home or away basketball or volleyball games.

Hope they’re up for the spike in traffic.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:24 am 

bmh_twosix wrote:
Appears Porkchop is leaning into the void left by Bulldog. Just got my season ticket packet and season tickets holders get 50% off drinks 2 hours prior to any home or away basketball or volleyball games.

That first game is going to be a complete disaster!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:51 am 

Really a shame to hear about Bulldog's. My guess, a franchise gone poor, or lack of worker issue.
Was a great spot for us and a pre-game meal, but sensed it going all downhill last winter, service & quality-wise.

At least there's still Bruno's!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:30 pm 

Robbie Aces wrote:
bmh_twosix wrote:

That first game is going to be a complete disaster!!!

Anybody going to try this tonight?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:50 am 

Following up on this topic.....

Has anyone attempted Porkchop yet for pregame or postgame?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:08 pm 

So I heard that LU was trying to stop under age drinking and over drinking incidents on and near campus...there was also talk they were trying to buy the whole block and put in a combo practice facility and track....the stumbling block was the storage place....Hammies was such a great Chicago bar ...as is Brunos.....I lived above Cunneens for a couple years ...glad to see it is still going.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next