It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coaching Staff 23-24
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:41 pm 

Twitter seems to think some big announcement is coming, but I cannot find anything credible regarding the assistant coach search.

Denzel Valentine?
Clayton Custer?
Lucas Williamson?
Keith Clemons?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:55 pm 

I don’t know anything, but besides getting an alum in the door I’d be pretty stoked for Matt Lottich as a top assistant if that’s a possibility

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:09 am 

Clayton and Keith would by great adds from an alum perspective, however imho, Coach V. needs veteran assistants to back up his decision making and to challenge him on team strategies/play calling and to drive player recruiting

I'll wait to see how everything shakes out on the "big announcement"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:25 am 

Agree. It would be really cool to have two recent alums on the bench, both of whom experienced great success as players here. Both have really bright futures in the coaching world and are well-respected in the Loyola community.

But neither have a ton of experience. And Drew coached both of them (as an asst only for Custer) so I can't see either of them pushing back or critiquing him. I'd like to see a veteran coach added to the bench who won't feel the need to be a 'yes man'.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:21 am 

I would think Keith comes in as a support staff role. Maybe DOBO/video coordinator is they stay in house for one of the other AC roles. Could also be a newly created role if there’s budget available.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:27 am 

Well this would check off a number of boxes, and be an interesting A10 twist. Current and long time SLU assistant coach…

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:54 am 

Clayton Custer it is!!!!!!! Getting the band back together

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:58 am 

Love it. I wonder if we will pick up Clemons as well and add a third coach.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:18 am 

Excited to see Custer on the bench once again. Good add by Drew. Young up-and-comer who has P6 experience, both as a a player and coach. Hopefully we get an older vet now to round out the staff (+Clemons if we get one more spot or there is another departure).

In somewhat interesting news, Matt Gordon left Porter Moser and is joining Roger Powell's staff at Valpo. He's been tied at the hip with Porter for a very long time. Wonder if there was a falling out. I think he was basically the 2nd or 3rd in charge at OU so going to Valpo as an assistant seems like a step down.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:32 am 

goramblers2011 wrote:

In somewhat interesting news, Matt Gordon left Porter Moser and is joining Roger Powell's staff at Valpo. He's been tied at the hip with Porter for a very long time. Wonder if there was a falling out. I think he was basically the 2nd or 3rd in charge at OU so going to Valpo as an assistant seems like a step down.

Possibly.... makes you wonder considering the misery down there. "Don't leave from happiness," said former coach. :roll:

Gordon is a local. Went to St. Rita. Many connections to the region. Valpo closer to home. I'm thinking this was why.

So will there be a hire from outside for the top assistant, or is everyone on staff getting a promotion?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next