It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Season Stats.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:08 pm 

https://loyolaramblers.com/documents/20 ... _Stats.pdf
1. turnovers/assists 428/464 w/o Brandon Norris 303/398.
Other than Brand Norris we did not take care of the ball and our ball handlers were poor.
Philip Auston more than doubled his assist to turnover ration 30 assists, 63 turnovers.

2.Steals . Our opponents had 249 . We had 175...A lot of ours were just poor passing and receiving. But that is 75 more possessions right there.

3. While rebounding , 3 pt shooting and overall shooting were not great factors free throws were. We can say it was officiating or bad defense or other teams were quicker but the end result was our opponents shot 130 more free throws and made 130 more free throws. We had 21 fouled out to 3 for our opponents. Some of this can be explained by being behind but not to this margin.

While we can argue whether it was coaching , poor play by the players or other teams were taller and quicker.....giving up the ball through turnovers and steals led to the other team getting 65 more shots and 130 more free throws...and when the margin was about 5ppg....those things add up....

Whether these deficiencies can be made up through training and skill improvement or we need to better our roster or a combination of both will be up for debate as well.

I left looking at these stats thinking that maybe pound for pound, inch for inch.Bradon Norris is one of the best players in the NCAA...and he played the last third of the season with a injured hand

Post subject: Re: Season Stats.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:16 pm 

Hey Nate,
Are those turnovers/assists numers reversed?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:37 pm 

I know he had five(!) yesterday, but turnovers weren't really a big problem for Alston IMO, and I don't really expect him to have a lot of assists. I wish he'd give up the ball sooner on the fast break, but his turnover rate was only 15.3% (KenPom). Him, Edwards, Dawson, and Wilson were the only guys on our team below 20%.

Compare that to Kennedy (23%); Welch (24.3%); Schwieger (24.4%); Hutson (27.6%); Saint Thomas (28.2%!); (Quinn 32.9%!!)

For what it's worth, Hutson was a lot better in the conference season at 13.7%.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:39 pm 

Yep got em turned around.
Alston also disrupted defensive and offensive continuity by being slow to his spots, missing assignments and throwing himself into groups of defenders like he was in a mosh pit. But I do not know if I have ever seen a player rebound his own missed shot more than Alston. I do think he should have more assists because he is often double teamed...which means someone is open. He is the astronomical black hole as the ball goes in and never comes out. Tremendous athlete with a high ceiling but now he is very un-refined as a basketball player.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:59 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
Alston also disrupted defensive and offensive continuity by being slow to his spots, missing assignments and throwing himself into groups of defenders like he was in a mosh pit. But I do not know if I have ever seen a player rebound his own missed shot more than Alston. I do think he should have more assists because he is often double teamed...which means someone is open. He is the astronomical black hole as the ball goes in and never comes out. Tremendous athlete with a high ceiling but now he is very un-refined as a basketball player.

Fair point about the double teams. Really hope he gets better about the defensive assignments, too.