It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:28 pm 

Dansen wrote:
Des Watson (transfer from Davidson) commits to us. Played 29 mins, averaging 9.4/3.8/1.1 . Ohio native

Interesting that the second year in a row we have an inter conference transfer (Sheldon, albeit we were on the move). Probably had his worst game of the year against us

Little scouting report from one of the big Davidson Twitter accounts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:52 pm 

I don't get it. Don't see how a Small Forward that can't shoot...making a lateral level move..... is going to help us. We need shooters, an experienced big, and point guard. This guy is none of that. This tells me that another roster spot is going to open.....someone is entering the portal. If not, then we are down to 2 open spots - perhaps 1 if we sign another high school kid. We now have too many needs and not enough spots.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:47 pm 

"Athletic wing" is certainly a position of need, and Watson seems to fill that. It wouldn't surprise me if Drew decides he doesn't want a traditional big and instead runs lineups out there with Dame or Miles or Welch as the biggest guy. I am not sure if that's the best approach, but I could see it happening. Dame plays bigger than 6'8 and Miles is a shot eraser.

It'll be tough to sell a true PG transfer on coming here when we have Braden playing 35+ min a game. You'll have to convince him that he will get minutes on the floor with Braden and that Quinn won't be a major factor at PG.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:55 pm 

A 6'5 depth guy, defender, and hard worker.
Also makes nearly 75% of his FT's too - which would be #4 best on the team.

We should like this guy!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:03 pm 

Barron follows English to Providence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:12 pm 

Yeah not very exciting as he seems like a pretty low-ceiling guy as 6-5 wing with shooting numbers that bad. I'm guessing Drew likes his defense and effort in general, so maybe he'll get a few minutes after Drew gets pissed at Phil or Ben for doing something stupid on defense. Maybe having a high-motor guy on the bench/in practice pushes the other guys.

That being said, I think backup PG is the more important "role player" pickup we can get. If we can get another impact guy like Dame then great, otherwise we're going to have to depend on growth from the Sheldon and younger guys, which is fine. I just think Quinn as backup PG next year is not a great idea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:47 pm 

I like the Watson add a lot. Noticed him watching Davidson play at VCU-- he was the only player on Davidson that could match VCU's quickness. Scored 19 in that game and made a lot of defensive plays coming from nowhere. Had a couple of games where he got 9 rebounds, which we could use. He joined the starting lineup for the rest of the season in their game against us. Not a very good three point shooter (about 25%), but he shot 76% from the line as a starter (we shot 69.7% as a team last year).

All that being said, if he can play lockdown defense on the opposing team's small forwards and close out well on three point shooters, he's worth adding just for that. And he had two years of eligibility remaining, right?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:22 pm 

JCT wrote:
I like the Watson add a lot. Noticed him watching Davidson play at VCU-- he was the only player on Davidson that could match VCU's quickness. Scored 19 in that game and made a lot of defensive plays coming from nowhere. Had a couple of games where he got 9 rebounds, which we could use. He joined the starting lineup for the rest of the season in their game against us. Not a very good three point shooter (about 25%), but he shot 76% from the line as a starter (we shot 69.7% as a team last year).

All that being said, if he can play lockdown defense on the opposing team's small forwards and close out well on three point shooters, he's worth adding just for that. And he had two years of eligibility remaining, right?

Totally agree. Being down on this makes no sense to me. We need A10 players. Well...?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:19 pm 

My take on Watson:

1. He's athletic and 6'5", two things we need.
2. He's allegedly a great kid and a hard worker. I have a feeling this was important to Drew after having a couple of kids who seemed to have their own agenda last year. Plus, I believe he has grown about 3 inches and gained 20 pounds since HS. He may just be growing his body. He also came on and became a starter latter half of last year. He was on an upswing and just maybe coming into his own.
3. Davidson is a well coached team. He was starting, so we have to assume he has been taught well.
4. Now, this pick- up and how good it maybe is dependent on what Drew does with the last two open slots. Watson as a part of a good athletic team as a piece could end up being a good pick up. I think he can contribute on a good team. He is just not a guy who is gonna carry a team. In that context, it's not the sexiest pick-up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:49 am 

Most of the Davidson folks I interact with on Twitter were big fans of Des, sad when he left and frame him much more as an on-ball 2 than a Jaemeril Wilson clone which it seems like some folks in here believe him to be.

We need guys who can create their own shot period. Des did that at Davidson and will do it with us.

As for the shooting, its already on the roster. Edwards, Dawson and Lewis + Norris if he doesn't always have to have the ball in his hands are the shooting. We probably need to accept that even if some dont agree/see it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next