It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:03 pm 

Horrible last play. Only one option and makes no sense to throw it inside when your best shooter is inbounding and not drawing the defense towards the arc

Last edited by jdubs on Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:06 pm 

Whichever coach is responsible for that last play call should be fired tonight. Awful.

Embarrassing loss. Truly unacceptable stuff. Coaching staff NEEDS a shakeup. A dead last finish with 20 losses and numerous blowouts necessitates some shakeup.

Good second half effort from some of the guys. Edwards is a legit offensive threat, something we haven't had all year. Could have used his offense in some of his DNPs....

Hutty with some more high effort minutes, looked better than Golden. But still road the bench for nearly the entire game. Joke.

URI is awful. We are awful-er.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:26 pm 

I agree. We take one of our best offensive threats to inbound the ball. He's also one of the shortest players in the floor. We ask him to try to throw a long cross court pass over a defender. Just silly. That's Gene Hackman in Hoosiers using Jimmy as a decoy. Only difference, our Jimmy and team didn't tell coach it was a dumb idea.

Just another massive disappointment. We did some dumb stuff, but battled and were in position to go to OT or win and then the coaches called that play.

There are some bad teams in the A10, and we are one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:39 pm 

I still don't understand A-10 officiating. It's situational, I guess. Let them play, then strict (like the ticky tack call on Alston with 2.2 seconds left in a tie game). There was a one possession where (I swear) Loyola was fouled four times. It was immediately followed by a play where Rhody made a layup while being fouled.... (it was a mid-air body collision by two players) if Rhody missed the layup, maybe the whistle would have sounded. But they made it, so no whistle. Then two minutes later, the ticky-tacks came back. Also saw a ref telling Valentine after he was upset by a foul that "if there was one more outburst like that.." (couldn't read lips any more).

I don't understand. I thought I lived in the real world where if you saw something happening you pretty much knew it happened. This A-10 officiating world is a little bit different-- sometimes things everyone know happened did or didn't happen depending on whether the ball bounces in or out of the hoop. If it feels right that one team fouls another, that's what happens. If you want to see how something shakes out before blowing that whistle, you can go a half second or a full second before deciding, and the whistle is what changes reality-- not actual events. It's like all the A-10 refs are Keanu Reeves in sunglasses and suits.

In scouting this game for the preview, I had seen maybe 20 minutes of game action by Rhode Island, looked over the roster, researched their injuries, and looked at the stats. It still didn't prepare me for how much better they are athletically in person, all around. Athleticism (length, leaps, quickness) can make up for a lot of mistakes. URI got 12 offensive rebounds to our six. Turnovers were pretty even. They got to the free throw line primarily by using their quickness, and hit 18 of 21 attempts.

In the criticizing the coaching department, I don't understand Hutty usage. Hutty played four minutes, two points, two rebounds and had a +5 in the +/-. Got the crowd going with his tenaciousness. Of all the players we have, Hutty has been the most meticulously drilled in fundamentals, I think-- almost to a fault. He played great.

I'm really kind of sick about this one. Walking home alone in the dark after the depressing loss, I thought about the huge, uphill climb we're facing to get up to speed and median competitiveness in this league. I know that we're not a great team this year, but still... If we can't beat the 14th place team at home, if the ref crew is willing to call a shooting foul where contact is not immediately evident on us with 2.2 seconds left in a tie game, if the bench guys from second-do-last place teams are 6'8" and are hitting two of three threes (despite URI being the worst three-point shooting team in the league), if the style of defense we've been using to have success doesn't work because A-10 refs think calling a foul on a moving screen is chicken shit, then I don't know where to go from here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:43 pm 

Norris for 3 for the win. He’s earned that right to take that shot, miss or make, right? Maybe he fires it, or maybe he does a hesitation fake with 1.6 then leans into the shot for a foul. Either way, he should be taking the last shot. Jesus …

The play we DREW up didn’t even give us a chance to get to the line on a foul to take it to overtime…. Do you trust Phil to make 2 free throws even it up if he’s fouled?!?’!?

Such a poor plan to end the game …

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:04 am 

Just went to the Rhody site and they couldn't believe they got the foul...
---
Post by steviep123 » 1 hour ago

Phew Phew Phew. Glad Carey made up for the turnover there. I have to admit that foul was a bit weak, but they called some weak ones on us.
-------
Post by rhodyblue12 » 1 hour ago

I’ll take the win but that was a tough foul based on how they had called the game up to that point.
-------

I know it's bad to complain about officiating, but this is a serious, ongoing systemic problem in this league.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:11 am 

It’s borderline hilarious to me that a fanbase of a program with a Final Four, Sweet 16, tournament appearance and NIT appearance in the last 5 years believes we should not severely criticize and question a coach who finished 15 out of 15 teams in a mid major conference, with ten 10+ blowouts - REGARDLESS OF ROSTER TURNOVER.

Whatever you think about the turnover issue - there’s one thing I know for sure - every single one of us on this board could have recruited, conditioned, prepared and coached this “Final 4/Sweet 16/NCAA, NIT appearance” program to a last place finish in the A-10. maybe none of us could have beat Drew’s success, but we all could have tied it. There’s very little difference between 0-18 and 3-15.

It’s probably not a firing - but SOMETHING needs to change in 3 weeks. This is the wrong trajectory.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:14 am 

I used to agree with Toledo so much that I thought Ramblermania readers would think it was one person with a sock puppet. But I completely disagree now.

Tonight Loyola lost by two points against a coach who's gone to the Elite Eight as an A-10 head coach, and then had three winning seasons out of four at Indiana. That head coach is going to finish with 20 losses in his first year back in the A-10.

There's another first-year head coach in the A-10.... He used to be head coach at Kansas State, where he made the tournament three years out of four, including earning a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament and getting to the Elite Eight. Then he took South Carolina to the Final Four. This year he lost to Loyola at home in his first year in the A-10.

Look, this league is pretty tough. Building a team that works well in it is a multi-year project. It should tell everyone something that there hasn't been a dominant team over a long stretch since Temple left the conference for the AAC. Seven different A-10 tournament winners in seven years.

The four bottom teams in the A-10 men's basketball standings right now are coached by Drew Valentine, Archie Miller, Frank Martin, and Fran Dunphy-- all of whom have been to the NCAA Tournament and have a winning record. They're also all first year coaches with their teams in this league.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:42 am 

JCT wrote:
The four bottom teams in the A-10 men's basketball standings right now are coached by Drew Valentine, Archie Miller, Frank Martin, and Fran Dunphy-- all of whom have been to the NCAA Tournament and have a winning record. They're also all first year coaches with their teams in this league.

That's an interesting fact.

We really got hosed by the refs in three games this year. Of course that still leaves a pile of double-digit losses.

On the other hand, it seems like we aren't that far away from competing. The lineup that engineered our comeback played fantastic defense. We got to the free throw line. We only had six turnovers (unfortunately they led to several easy buckets). With as rough as it's been, you can find five conference games that we win if we're just a little better shooting threes, making free throws, rebounding, avoiding turnovers, playing together for 40 minutes... usually if just one or two of those were a tiny bit improved, we have the 8 or 9 wins I expected.

We need more shooters and more size to rebound. I think the coaching looks a lot better if we're a better rebounding team, too.

Now having said that, we have three seniors coming back, so I don't know how exactly we manage it.

Anyway, time to figure out where the hell LaSalle is and try to end on a high note. I'm assuming it's on the east coast? Will we even come home before Brooklyn or stay on the road all week?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:14 am 

On this ref thing.
They all work in multiple conferences, “A10” refs.
Many are highly rated as they do a lot of games.
So it’s NOT an A10 thing, just a “ref” thing. Brutal call last night as it’s a game changer and he’s gotta know that. Shoulda let it go and settle in OT so both sides get equal crack..
Ramblers last few games other than SLU and Dayton have been close and contested. We’ll get there. Let’s do LaSalle at get a W.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next