It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:40 pm 

I’m not sure how many games ago it was (10-12?) when Valentine made his post game comments and began the tossing of his team under the bus…at that point I said he’s not ready for this job. I stand by it. And I still stand by that we aren’t ready for the A-10. You can’t undo the A-10 move, but you can unwind a bad promotion at year end.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:05 pm 

I'm not writing to defend Drew Valentine but to comment on the firng of a head coach.
It does not make sense to me to fire a head coach unless you have someone better, with a firm commitment, to replace him. The exception to that being the situation where you just want to get rid of a scumbag like Bruce Pearl.
Just who are the head coach candidates currently available and would be likely to take the job if offered?
Would Dan Mueller, Gregg Marshall, Marty Simmons, Todd Lickliter, or Greg Lansing fit the bill?
If not. Then who?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:34 pm 

Rambling0101 wrote:
I’m not sure how many games ago it was (10-12?) when Valentine made his post game comments and began the tossing of his team under the bus…at that point I said he’s not ready for this job. I stand by it. And I still stand by that we aren’t ready for the A-10. You can’t undo the A-10 move, but you can unwind a bad promotion at year end.

There was never going to be a perfect transition to the A-10 but it was the right move. Whether Valentine is ready or not is still to be decided but I’m not very confident. I still Think it’s too early to tell, it’s confusing how the expectations were so high in a second year coach (youngest in the league) that lost majority of his team and joined a new conference. Reading that back makes me feel like an idiot for thinking that this team would actually do well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:08 am 

JC64 wrote:
Just who are the head coach candidates currently available and would be likely to take the job if offered?
Would Dan Mueller, Gregg Marshall, Marty Simmons, Todd Lickliter, or Greg Lansing fit the bill?
If not. Then who?

If I had to make a list:

Bryce Drew
JR Blount
Bryan Mullins

* Matt Lottich as first assistant

That being said - Drew should another year, but I do think we need to invest in a former head coach as an assistant to help him next year. That probably should have been done at the end of last year, knowing that turnover and new conference coming.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:21 am 

We're not in the locker room or at practice, so who knows what that environment is really like, but from what the results have shown this is a clear "give the guy some mentorship" offseason. There have been several missteps this year, although it seems like there's at least been progress. The conference adjustment is clearly going to take time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:41 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:

That being said - Drew should another year, but I do think we need to invest in a former head coach as an assistant to help him next year. That probably should have been done at the end of last year, knowing that turnover and new conference coming.

I think that is supposed to be Dan Hipsher's role. He has D-1 head coaching experience and has been around D-1 basketball for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:51 am 

goramblers2011 wrote:
ToledoRambler wrote:

I think that is supposed to be Dan Hipsher's role. He has D-1 head coaching experience and has been around D-1 basketball for a long time.

Just seems like he's not around Loyola that much.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:41 pm 

Please stop. This line of thought is silly.

I understand that fans are short for fanatics. However, the idea that we should replace Coach Valentine after two seasons is nonsensical. I am sorry, but if you think we should replace Coach Valentine, I don't think you have much of a recollection of how we got to where we are. We were very good in the MVC, but even then, our margin for error in the MVC was slim. We had a lot of close games and were able to navigate a series of championships, but they were not laughers. We didn't dominate teh league like Gonzaga has done.

We have moved up in class. After watching this year's team, I am not sure that you can say it has underachieved. I think we had an unrealistic understanding of our talent. I watch our team and I see a team that runs out of horse power. We don't have the depth or the talent. Our team makes unforced errors and misses open shots. There are some good role players and there are young players that need more time to develop. This should not be unexpected considering we have 11 new players. The players on the court are battling. St Thomas gave up, but the other players have not shown any signs of giving up.

Drew Valentine can coach. Consider last year.

He coached a team to a 25-8 record, won the MVC (when ever team wanted to crush us because we were leaving the Valley).
Last year's team had the 2nd best season in the last 50 years of LU basketball.
The team lost arguably its greatest player and replaced him with a walk-on and two Ivy League transfers.
Last year's schedule was the hardest schedule in the last 30+ years.
He was on pace to break Coach K's win record in 47 years.

You can't argue with his first season. It was the 2nd best season in the last 50 years.

If we fired him, we will be Depaul. We will never get a good coach.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:53 pm 

You make a lot of good points 88.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:56 pm 

Rambler88 keeping it real.

For the billionth time, Drew isn't going anywhere.

There's been some recent chatter and open pondering about personnel changes & staff shakeup. Mostly angry fans on twitter and elsewhere if you can find it.

So what should realistically happen, wisely, is a staff supplementation. It's obvious Drew needs some extra help.

Really like the idea(s) of looking for an associate with A10 coaching & landscaping experience, who can help navigate the ship and be in Drew's ear often. Not sure what Hipsher's role really is, since he's not present at most games. Seems like this is the most important need.

Not sure what a few of our other assistants are doing during games. Very little assertiveness it seems. Seeking upgrades there could help too - though each one has the qualifying credentials and has earned their roles.

Not sure if this is up to both the H.C. and the A.D..
Don't know what their budget is, but perhaps it's also time to invest in staff upgrades too like they've done to everything/everywhere else surrounding the school and bball program.

I don't know about you, but I see it as a great sign Pres. Reed is still attending all of our home games.