It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Thoughts on the Season
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:58 pm 

While there are many negatives right now, I want to focus on some big takeaways:

1) This season should not be a surprise. Much has been already said about how much we lost from our team last year. One key thing too is that with Ty and Saint no longer on the team, we basically lost an entire recruiting class. Those two were supposed to be the next guys up, but became even more holes that we need to fill. The newcomers simply are not enough to make up for the losses. On top of that, our returning players are not A10 starters. Braden is a great player, but it become so much harder for him when he is consistently going up against larger guards and taking a beating. Marquise is just struggling with injuries. Look through every A10 roster, and it is hard to find many spots where one of our players would take over a starting roll.

2) Despite the losses, we have been competitive in most games for the past month. We started out this conference schedule taking a beating each game over and over. I’m not a fan of moral victories, but we have really been holding our own in games lately, even if it means not having enough at the end. I know everyone wants to win, but with everything mentioned in point 1, I really am pleased with the way Drew has gotten a lot out of these guys and has them competing every game.

3) The development of our younger guys is impressive this year. Schwieger looks incredible, and the fact that we have him for potentially 3 more years is exciting. Jalen has also looked better and better as the year has gone on, and Jayden showed flashed before his injury. The progress that these guys have shown this year should excite everyone.

4) Interesting decisions will follow in the off-season. We know Golden and Wilson will be gone, but unsure what will happen with Braden and Marquise. Also Saint does not seem like he will be back, so that opens another roster spot. We could see some big changes come next year.

Long story short, we just don’t have the team to compete, but Drew has really gotten the most out of them this past month. I see this change as progress from the coaching staff and adjusting to the new play style. We’re staying competitive in games where we often have an inferior roster, and the emergence of young talent should excite everyone. Let’s try to win a game or two in Brooklyn and then regroup and get ready for next year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:34 am 

It's interesting you have this take -- I feel more of less the opposite. To me, I think Drew maturing will have a much greater impact on this team than roster upgrades. See my post in the Fordham thread for the full rant I guess.

I think he has a few years to fully right the ship, but he needs to show improvement next year. If it's as dismal as this year, I think we've got to pull the plug early.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:44 am 

I think that having another year under everyone's belt. Valentine most especially. I look forward to Miles Rubin coming in as I think he will have an impact from day one. With the last few games that I have seen I don't know if it would be the worst for any number of Welch, Norris, or Kennedy to move on after this year. It would allow us to jump more into the future of the roster and get young guys experience. Kennedy does not seem to have the same athleticism as he did as a freshman.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:05 am 

Amidst all of the discussion, the need for more effective defense seems to be overlooked. Looking over KenPom all top schools play serious D. Even A10, Fordham was totally in your face for every inch of space. Quisenberry was really solid. In Big 10, and it kills me to mention them, but Northwestern D is up there and with two very good guards, it’s enough to be competitive. Solid D and two guards… that’s the floor to build from. Players need to feel good D is required, not optional cuz you have offensive skills.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:13 pm 

I love our guys. However, I agree with your point in number (1)— very few of our guys would start on most A10 teams.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:44 pm 

I don't agree with the KenPom comparison of the MVC vs A10. I think they are day and night different.

The A10 teams are bigger, quicker and more aggressive on both offense and defense. Our recruiting wasn't a match for that. I agree with Jdubs that it will be interesting how the team will be rebuilt during the off season knowing know how we match up (or "don't" is the more accurate phrase)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:15 pm 

kato669 wrote:
I don't agree with the KenPom comparison of the MVC vs A10. I think they are day and night different.

Certainly not this year as the A10 has been a decidely mediocre conference. There is not one win amongst all the teams against a ranked opponent. IDK if it is just a down year or part of a larger downturn. We shall see.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:25 pm 

Ramblerguy wrote:
Amidst all of the discussion, the need for more effective defense seems to be overlooked. Looking over KenPom all top schools play serious D. Even A10, Fordham was totally in your face for every inch of space. Quisenberry was really solid. In Big 10, and it kills me to mention them, but Northwestern D is up there and with two very good guards, it’s enough to be competitive. Solid D and two guards… that’s the floor to build from. Players need to feel good D is required, not optional cuz you have offensive skills.

+1