It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:51 pm 

Can’t make free throws. Can’t make threes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:26 pm 

Free throw shooting needs to be better to win games. 65.5% is grade school level. Embarrassing.

3-pt shooting needs to be better to win games. 23.5%? Come on.

Our senior leader guards, Braden and Quise need to be better to win games. A combined 1-8 and 5 points? What the heck is that? Braden is 0 for his last 10 from deep, most of them WIDE open. If he isn't hitting open 3's, his value on the court drops big time. But we don't really have much backing him up so we continue to ride him 35+ minutes a game.

I am so tired of this God damn losing crap. Especially at home to teams that talk nonstop BS to us and our fans. It's humiliating and annoying.

I am so tired of seeing Hutson ride the bench after putting up good limited minutes. Meanwhile, Welch has been atrocious for a few games now as Golden's backup. Why the hell is he getting big minutes over Hutson?

I am just so damn tired of this season. If we shoot average from 3 or average from the charity stripe, we probably win. But we can't seem to put it together. The talent isn't there. The coaching isn't there. The athleticism isn't there. At least they haven't given up. And at least Sheldon hit a few 3's.

Can't wait to get kicked in the nuts again on Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:36 pm 

Man…love Loyola more than anything but each loss moves me closer from being crushed to just plain apathy.

Also, at some point I’m going to really want an explanation as to why Edwards was racking up DNPs for a major portion of the season. Baffling to me based on the way this year has gone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:13 pm 

Agreed. The lack of 3 point shooting (other than Edwards clutch shots, glad he's out of the dog house) and FTs hurt badly.

Happy we kept ourselves in the game, crushing ending though.

Good rivalry, I think we found our Bradley replacement..the team you love to hate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:17 pm 

I think Braden's problem is more than just the minutes. He's taking a beating every game. It's just so much more physical than we're used to playing. Watching tonight's game, he just had to fight through a body every possession. As tough as he is, it's wearing him out, and his shot is off as a result.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:38 pm 

Getting pretty sick of the double technicals when we answer back in kind. If it's not a tech when they do it, why is it a technical for us when we do the same thing in response. One of the refs ended up shoving a Fordham player who was still aggressive after a call was made. Jeeebuss.... What's going on here?

Nothing was as bad as the outcome-based officiating in the last regular season game we played in the MVC (the OT loss at UNI that gave the regular season title to UNI while also dropping us to 4th seeding at Arch Madness). But wow, the officiating so far in the A-10 is far below average for the MVC. Late whistles, the deference to athleticism, the trash-talking, the attention-seeking refs, explaining to one side and not the other, confusing calls like the one in Dayton with the foul and double technicals, etc. Letting the physical stuff go the way they did in this game was really bad, and clearly favored Fordham.

If we made our free throws and hit an average number of threes, we would have won this game. But our guards got beat up, bruised, and bloodied (not exaggerating, bloodied), just trying to get the ball across the time line on every possession. The double technical should have been a single technical... I was 30 feet away from it and saw it developing. The no-call on the foul on the Golden dunk followed by a basket on the other end was a four-point swing.

To be fair, I was sitting at the opposite baseline from the Golden play, and I haven't yet watched my recording of the game. Over on my baseline, I saw Alston get elbowed in the face, just short of mugging by the Fordham defenders, and a lot of under-the-radar elbows, pushes and smacks across the head on drives to the basket.

When I say deference to athleticism, what I mean is allowing quick guards to get away with offensive fouls and sometimes travel violations because they're doing it quick... the Golden play... VCU gets a lot of them, DeLoach in particular... moving screens galore... anything goes on trash talk and unsportsmanlike gestures...

This league can't expect to win big non-con games and postseason games if their "best" teams have been coddled, the officiating style adjusted to favor them, deference given to a particular style of play, etc. That's what happened to the Horizon League during the LeCrone era, and they sank into irrelevancy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:42 pm 

RamblinTank22 wrote:
I think Braden's problem is more than just the minutes. He's taking a beating every game. It's just so much more physical than we're used to playing. Watching tonight's game, he just had to fight through a body every possession. As tough as he is, it's wearing him out, and his shot is off as a result.

Norris' legs have no spring left in them because he's been playing 38+ minutes every game. He was 0-7 on threes last game, and they drew up a play for him to take a three at the top of the arc late in crunch time in this one.... clank!. He wasn't even hitting free throws, and statistically over the year he's our best free throw shooter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:02 am 

Last year Braden also logged 35+ minutes a game, but the offense ran through Lucas. This year Braden is logging the same minutes, but the offense runs through him. He has to constantly be on which is far too much to ask. That’s the key to his poor shooting

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:17 am 

jdubs wrote:
Last year Braden also logged 35+ minutes a game, but the offense ran through Lucas. This year Braden is logging the same minutes, but the offense runs through him. He has to constantly be on which is far too much to ask. That’s the key to his poor shooting

He played 32.7 minutes per game last year, and 31.0 the year before. But I agree it's been a lot more physical this year.... longer arms, more pressing, quicker opponents, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:20 am 

JCT wrote:
jdubs wrote:

He played 32.7 minutes per game last year, and 31.0 the year before. But I agree it's been a lot more physical this year.... longer arms, more pressing, quicker opponents, etc.

My apologies, should have definitely checked that number but felt like he was in every minute last year as well.

Last edited by jdubs on Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next