It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:04 pm 

Lol, I hope you’re kidding. That lineup is comical, Braden is the only one that can dribble a ball. We already have a turnover issue with this team

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:18 pm 

RAMBLOR wrote:
The main target in the portal should be a experienced backup PG -- doesn't need to be a guy with huge upside, just a reliable ballhandler and a decent on-ball defender. Next priority should be trying to convince Hutty to come back, and try to get Wes Rubin to re-commit. Could we use another lengthy wing?

I'm telling you, the issue is not as much about the roster as Drew needing to mature as a coach, and I think a shakeup on the staff might be necessary to achieve that. Is the roster perfect? Of course not, but anyone can see Drew is not putting them in positions to succeed. Rotations make no sense, basic issues take way too long to correct (see the press issue from earlier), and more inexperienced coaches run circles around him in-game, both with adjustments and working the refs.

Is it possible/legal to lure Wes Rubin back? I thought he signed with UNI officially, officially. Don't know what the specific reasoning was for de-committing in the first place.

Drew had very good post-game remarks about Edwards's situation, shot selections, defensive efforts, and the DNP's. At one point, this guy was to be our sixth man. Hopefully this triggers confidence and many more minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:01 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
Mudville21 wrote:
"Absolute ref show - felt like I was back in 1990 watching Mahorn and Laimbeer mauling Jordan there. The one working along baseline and our side of floor was abysmal. Too bad he never came by the water coolers for a refreshment."

Ha, after we got on them a couple of games ago, the refs must of talked about our section by the water.!

Most of the time it's too loud in the arena to really get after the refs. At least where I am on the baseline.

Ye of little faith! When they come by for water where we sit, we are about 20 feet if that from them and during timeouts, they can hear it...they acknowledged as much at the previous games by looking at us and making gestures.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:09 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
If I were coach, I’d start and play primarily with:

C- Hutson
F - Golden
F - Welch
G - Alston
G - Norris

Toledo, I'm sorry, but the Ramblermaniac Leadership Committee held an emergency meeting, and you've been given a two game suspension for this post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:22 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
I’ve never really had an opinion on Hutty either way. He’s had games when he helped us get to a conference championship game, and a monster game against ASU… and he’s had games where he looks completely lost and outmatched.

All I know is
1) we need to get bigger in the future
2) we need to develop (both personnel and style) for the future.
3) this season, whether 4,5 or 6 games left, is not OUR season to make noise.

If I were coach, I’d start and play primarily with:

C- Hutson
F - Golden
F - Welch
G - Alston
G - Norris

Forget worrying about foul trouble. Just run the biggest lineup you can. See if you can muscle and rebound your way to wins. That’s what we’re gonna have to do next year anyway.

Rotate Ben, Kennedy, Wilson or whoever to give starters short breaks. At this point it hurts nothing - and it throws teams off with a different look.

I agree on Hutty. He has actually given us some good minutes this year. It would be a shame if he left, but I could not blame him.

Under no circumstance would I take Ben or Jaylen out of the Starting lineup. I would not start Welch or Hutty. Ben gives you another scorer, slasher and he needs those minutes. Quinn also needs those minutes. Quinn's main issue is fouling. He has stabilized a bit and figuring it out on offense a little bit more every game, but he can't stay on the floor because of the fouls. I would look for Hutty to be first off the bench for Golden, Welch to first off the bench for Alston, Quise first off the bench for Norris or Quinn and Edwards first off the bench for Quinn or Norris depending on flow of the game. There are minutes there for Ben, Jaylen, Hutty, and Edwards if we change our thinking that the 3 seniors have to play the bulk of the minutes. Wilson can be worked in depending on size and match ups, but at this point his minutes should not be a focal point as he is gone at of the year. Focus should be on who will be here next year and getting them every possible minute we can on the floor for their development.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:25 pm 

Mudville21 wrote:
ToledoRambler wrote:

I agree on Hutty. He has actually given us some good minutes this year. It would be a shame if he left, but I could not blame him.

Under no circumstance would I take Ben or Jaylen out of the Starting lineup. I would not start Welch or Hutty. Ben gives you another scorer, slasher and he needs those minutes. Quinn also needs those minutes. Quinn's main issue is fouling. He has stabilized a bit and figuring it out on offense a little bit more every game, but he can't stay on the floor because of the fouls. I would look for Hutty to be first off the bench for Golden, Welch to first off the bench for Alston, Quise first off the bench for Norris or Quinn and Edwards first off the bench for Quinn or Norris depending on flow of the game. There are minutes there for Ben, Jaylen, Hutty, and Edwards if we change our thinking that the 3 seniors have to play the bulk of the minutes. Wilson can be worked in depending on size and match ups, but at this point his minutes should not be a focal point as he is gone at of the year. Focus should be on who will be here next year and getting them every possible minute we can on the floor for their development.

Great post, your plan strikes me as 100% the right moves to make -- this rotation would be the best of both worlds in competing the rest of the year and preparing for next year. It makes too much sense, that I'm sure it won't happen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:43 pm 

In terms of the near future, we must be planning to hit the transfer portal / JUCO game hard this offseason. We have one commit (Rubin) and we aren't recruiting any other '23 high schoolers. There will be a minimum of two openings (Golden/Wilson), almost certainly three (Saint) and most likely one or two more as a result of transfers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:57 am 

Dansen wrote:
Lol, I hope you’re kidding. That lineup is comical, Braden is the only one that can dribble a ball. We already have a turnover issue with this team

Whatever. We've got turnover issues as much as we have size/rebounding/physicality issues. We're not going to have success in this conference next year with 6'7'' Tom Welch playing the 5 position and 6'6'' Phil Alston playing the 4 spot. We're going to have to get bigger - but if we don't want start working on it now for the last 4 or 5 games, so be it, I guess.

Norris is our PG next year. He's got the experience and leadership and that position is locked up - but he's a small guard at 6'0.

Alston is too talented not to start next year but, at 6'6'', he's going to have to become more of a guard, particularly if he has pro ball aspirations. Keeping him down in the 4 spot is just going to continue to make him more foul-prone and less effective.

Rubin is 6'8'' for next year when he comes in, and I would presume he's going to be in the 4 spot.

We're going to need a center and another 6'4''+ guard next year to compete. I personally would like to see us get started on preparing for the future now, rather than spinning our wheels. We're not getting the opposition in foul trouble early to equalize the game... maybe a bigger lineup does that.

What's the worst that's going to happen? Worst case - we lose the next 3 games by 12-15 points? We've been watching that all season anyway...