It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Guys who left
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:22 am 

Just curious to see how our transfers out have done.

Demezi Anderson Detroit Mercy 10ppg 27 mpg 43% fg%

Kooper Kaifes Samford 2.5 15 31

Paxton Wojik Brown 14 33 42%

Frank Agunanne SMU 0.5 4 33%

Baylor Hebb Colo St. U 2.2 13 48..........1.8 assists pg

Ty Johnson UC-Davis 15.5 27 47 2.8 assists pg

ISAIAH Bujdoso after Hutchison JC and Tarelton in Texas cant find him

Post subject: Re: The Guys who left
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:08 am 

I wish we would have given Damzei a better trial, and I'm upset that Frank left. The others? I think they all found a better test of their talents than they'd get at Loyola, especially in the A-10.

What about Indiana State's 6'10" freshman center Robbie Avila, who reportedly really wanted to go to LU? We blew him off before we got the commit from Miles Rubin. And why did we let Wes Rubin go? Wes can play the frickin' 3 at 6'7" or 6'8". That's Michigan State size.

In the A-10, it's not really practical to be looking at 6'1" point guards, 6'3" shooting guards or 6'5" forwards unless they're exceptional role players-- 45% three point shooters, steals leaders, 6'7" with hops and blocking instincts.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:33 pm 

Wes Rubin is going to be the real good fish that got away…..

Here’s the info on Avila from the Indiana State site. 6-10, 240, along with those high school numbers and a good freshman season thus far is very Krutwig-like. How did our staff not give this kid a closer look??????

Quote:
A four-year letterwinner at Oak Forest High School ... One of the highest-rated commits for the Indiana State men's basketball program ... Rated as the sixth-best player in the state of Illinois and the 54th-best power forward nationally by 247Sports.com ... Finished his career as the Bengals all-time leading scorer ... Averaged 23.9 points, 10.6 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 2.1 steals and two blocks to help Oak Forest to a 25-8 record as a senior ... Shot 72.1 percent from the field, 41.9 percent from deep and 84.4 percent from the free-throw line ... Earned 3A First Team All-State honors from IBCA, the Journal Star as well as the Chicago Sun-Times ... A Chicago Sun-Times All-Area selection ... Earned First Team All-State accolades from the Champaign News-Gazette in 2021 after averaging 25.8 points, 11.5 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game while shooting 65 percent from the field during his COVID-shortened junior season.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:57 pm 

I've been wondering what happened with Avila, too. He's having a heck of a year for ISU. I will say he has an EXTREMELY not-A10 body, but you never know.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:44 pm 

I found interesting that Paxson Wojik has beefed up to 200lbs... He was soooo skinny when at LU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:03 am 

To be fair, we weren’t building for an A10 roster cuz who knew? Also these kids make choices too? Or do you know that LUC nudged them out. From what I’ve seen this season, Avila in A10 would not be a lock but more of a project. Seems to be more verticality and speed needed.
A10 play is faster, quicker with less structure than our previous conference.
Three point shooting, like it or not, especially when left open is a high percentage make, and players needed that routinely do so. On defense motion is valued over bulk as all the things I was taught to not do are now part of the offense, ie:cross court passing and baseline cross court drives with no intention of a shot but a cross court to the corner pass to get a three by design. We’ve been killed by these plays this season. One more and I’ll quit, A10 bigs have better hands and accept passes to dunk quickly with authority. Less fancy footwork, fakes and off the glass layups. Above the rim.
Dayton is all about Camara and Holmes. Most other lineups are about guard play and the three point shot being primary and big guys to rebound with authority and put backs.
Happy Sunday morning.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:35 am 

Ramblerguy wrote:
To be fair, we weren’t building for an A10 roster cuz who knew?

This is a great point above. I had never thought about the roster build out. It always seems the A10 teams have more length, athleticism and offensive fire power than what we frequently saw in the Valley. The Valley seems a more grind-it-out-defense oriented league.