It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: MVC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:21 pm 

Still have a little nostalgia for the MVC. Watched SIU just dismantle a more athletic Missouri State team with just grind it out defense. Mullins and SIU are tied for first and there are 7 teams within two games of the lead with 6 games to go. 4 teams tied at 10-6 one at 9-7 and 3 at 8-6. The new teams are doing well with Belmont at 10-6 and Murray at 8-6. UIC is struggling at 2-12.

Post subject: Re: MVC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:02 pm 

I watched part of that game as well. Drew's assessment that in the A10 teams have more talent and more guys you have to plan for is 100% true. We certainly would not be 2-8 in the MVC.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:22 am 

During the "Loyola Fan Club" podcast, Tom Welch basically said the MVC is more of a "chess match" that involves constant defensive adjustments and game planning. While the A10 more so lets their talented athletes make plays on offense.

I still like the MVC a lot. I think any of Drake, Bradley or SIU could win a game or two in the tourney. To me, they are the three best teams in the conference. All have a lot of experience, good coaching and stingy defense. A good combo in March!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:12 am 

I watched that SIU game as well. I really enjoy watching Coach Mullins lead his players. Both he and his program are headed in the right direction. I also have a warm spot in my heart for the MVC. The basketball is high-quality, the fans are dedicated and by the time a team survives the season and Arch Madness, they are ready to cause some serious trouble in the tourney. What will truly take the MVC to the next level is if/when they can consistently get multiple bids in the tournament. I remain convinced that the #2 team in the MVC will beat the #7 or #8 team from the Big10, Big12 or other P5 conference that is awarded too many bids.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:53 pm 

PM and his Sooners are in 9th place in the Big XII and they just thumped #1 Alabama. The issue is, there are only 68 spots in the NCAA tourney.