It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

How much longer will be Drew Valentine be HC?
Before the end of the season 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
End of the season 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 more year 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
2+ years 82%  82%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 17
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:35 pm 

I will always support the boys, but I’m starting to believe more and more that Drew is not cut out to be a D-1 coach at this point in his career. Last year’s success can be attributed to guys Porter recruited. His inexperience is clearly showing in a vastly superior conference. I’ve seen how bad the team play in person and on television. They just look so fundamentally unsound.

Also, who knows if the Saint Thomas fiasco was the first example of losing the team?

This is just a poll and how I feel. Please respect that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:58 pm 

This is a silly thread and should be deleted.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:02 pm 

Understand your frustration, but even though we lost that was honestly one of best games the team has played all season. We were a 14 point underdog, took it to OT, and didn’t get a single call all game.

Unless they fire Watson, which they most certainly will not based on all the other athletic success, or he leaves for another job, I don’t see any way Drew doesn’t get at least a 4 year run. The whole CBB landscape is still a mess from the Covid year and the first year of free transfers. Porter got time and he developed. Who do you think we could get to step in and do a better job next year?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:03 pm 

It's my policy to not remove anything that's not profane or attacking others, so this poll definitely stays. At first I was going to vote for 2+ years, but that wouldn't accurately reflect my view that Drew Valentine will be our coach for at least four years barring scandal. That's not a guess, that's a fact. Trying to start up a "movement" to get rid of him at this point is really absurd. This is only year two, and we've been to the NCAA Tournament for only the third time in the past 35 years under his watch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:18 pm 

goramblers2011 wrote:

What’s silly about it? I’m serious about this. I’ve been giving the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt, but this team continues to play consistently poorly, with the turnover numbers not improving. Our offense is inconsistent and looks shaky when the press is on. Plus, if the locker room is starting to be lost, it’s got to be addressed before it’s too late. That’s something as a fan that weighs on my mind.

We’re in a highly competitive conference where basketball is king. I like his recruiting, but success on the court breeds results. He might be a wonderful person and great basketball mind, but I’m starting to have my doubts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:24 pm 

ROWDIE_09 wrote:
goramblers2011 wrote:

What’s silly about it? I’m serious about this. I’ve been giving the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt, but this team continues to play consistently poorly, with the turnover numbers not improving. Our offense is inconsistent and looks shaky when the press is on. Plus, if the locker room is starting to be lost, it’s got to be addressed before it’s too late. That’s something as a fan that weighs on my mind.

We’re in a highly competitive conference where basketball is king. I like his recruiting, but success on the court breeds results. He might be a wonderful person and great basketball mind, but I’m starting to have my doubts.

It's hard to continue to say the locker room is lost when they just went into the toughest place to play in the A10.and went to OT.

I've had my frustrations with Coach Drew and staff this year too. But to think he is anywhere close to being fired in his 2nd season (when his first season was an NCAA tourney appearance) is pretty ludicrous. He is considered one of the bright young minds in the game. He has some talented freshmen. He landed a superstar through the portal in Alston. And is bringing in one of the better recruits LU has ever had in Rubin.

He'll be given at least 3 or 4 seasons here. I didn't mean to disparage your opinion. But I do think there's a 0% chance he is fired this year or next (absent a scandal or the players rebeling for some reason).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:31 pm 

goramblers2011 wrote:
ROWDIE_09 wrote:
goramblers2011 wrote:

It's hard to continue to say the locker room is lost when they just went into the toughest place to play in the A10.and went to OT.

I've had my frustrations with Coach Drew and staff this year too. But to think he is anywhere close to being fired in his 2nd season (when his first season was an NCAA tourney appearance) is pretty ludicrous. He is considered one of the bright young minds in the game. He has some talented freshmen. He landed a superstar through the portal in Alston. And is bringing in one of the better recruits LU has ever had in Rubin.

He'll be given at least 3 or 4 seasons here. I didn't mean to disparage your opinion. But I do think there's a 0% chance he is fired this year or next (absent a scandal or the players rebeling for some reason).

I totally respect your decision and appreciate that you’re not being disparaging. I love his recruiting and passion(especially since I went through the JW era).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:07 am 

The poll posting is just another example that many/most fans just have no clue what it takes to operate a D1 program. Pretty easy to spew this crap from your recliner! This poll is fair-weather-fan BS! Valentine is a young head coach playing the hand he was dealt due to extra Covid elgibility claimed last year. Considering he is blending 11 new players into his system, in my opinion it is not fair to judge his performance until season's end. Good Luck Coach and go Ramblers!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:27 am 

Look, D1 basketball is a business. Plain and simple. Dr Rooney was a huge basketball fan and she funded the program. Why? Well, she a basketball fan, but she realized the affect a good program could have for the school, enrollment and revenue. We have a new President now and at some point if we slide into mediocrity, will he still want to invest millions into it? So, it's fair to question how much leeway you give a young first time coach.

As far as the poll goes, perhaps some longer time frames could have been listed. I don't Drew is in jeopardy yet, but it would be naive to think Steve and Administration isn't having conversations about it.

As they say, "Hope for the best, but plan for the worst."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:01 am 

Rambling On wrote:
The poll posting is just another example that many/most fans just have no clue what it takes to operate a D1 program. Pretty easy to spew this crap from your recliner! This poll is fair-weather-fan BS! Valentine is a young head coach playing the hand he was dealt due to extra Covid elgibility claimed last year. Considering he is blending 11 new players into his system, in my opinion it is not fair to judge his performance until season's end. Good Luck Coach and go Ramblers!

Agree 100%

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next