It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:13 pm 

Lots of serious thought going on here and nice to see. We are paying the price for last season’s success. Virtually everyone on this team, except Phil and Wilson were planning a career in the Valley. Well, back in the day, Porter had the same issue and it took two solid years to get up to speed. I’m not even thinking about throwing in the towel on Drew because I do not see that anyone else could have done better.
Our freshmen show well at this level and size wise, Quinn is an A-10 guard to be. Ben’s skill set is excellent but getting up to A-10 speed is a work in progress. Quise is amazing, and his effort is something to admire. As others , I suspect he is playing thru challenging physical issues and am impressed with his toughness.
Whatever was up with Thomas was at least a distraction and maybe worse. As a result, we are one short of what we thought we had for this year. Did any of us think Golden would be ineffective? I sure didn’t. But….
So, in parallel, but at a different level of expectation, look at Dayton’s season. Fans are screaming that the coach doesn’t know anything and should be replaced because players are underperforming, sound familiar? Seems the ez path to blame the coach.
Personally I think we belong in this league and will prove it in a reasonable period of time. Stay the course here as fans and critique, but at the end of the day support the program, the coach and the players. PS check out the You Tube on the incoming player from Cali. His explanation of playing in the second half seems prophetic as it relates to this team. I love his attitude and can’t wait to get him in here. Guess why he wants to be here? He believes in the coaches and their plan for his development. Finally as to Porter rumors, seriously? He walked on us in a heartbeat. And no way on earth is it a good idea to go back to relive the past. Whatever he did for us was excellent, but its over and done. Let’s live in the present and future please….Drew can do this.
Go Ramblers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:51 pm 

I do not have the same concerns about Coach Valentine. I think talks about replacing Coach Valentine are good fan board fodder, but they are silly. Porter Moser is not coming back. It is premature to discuss making a change. We would set this program back if we pulled the plug on Coach Valentine.

We definitely shifted up a class. There are no Evansville or Indiana State's in this conference. Just think how many games we would have won last year with this level of effort.

We replaced 65% of our minutes from last year and it shows. I am not sure there is much he can do when the players don't execute. There are lapses in defense, there are terrible turnovers, missed free throws and missed shots. Other than Norris, our returning players were not starters. Welch play a few hundred minutes last year. Quise and Hutson started some games last year. It may be a crisis in confidence, but the players are not executing.

We are beginning to see Quinn and Schweiger develop, but they are not consistent. Wilson brings a little old man Schweiger Y game stuff, but he has not done it on a consistent basis. I don't recognize Edwards and Golden. They seem lost when they are in the game. I think we discounted the advantage of having players with 5 years of experience.

Coach Valentine is rolling players into the game, but no one player seems to stand out. Players dictate playing time. I don't see anyone standing out.

I think there are things he could do better, but this is the hand we were dealt given what we did last year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:04 pm 

Well said, JCT, I agree 100%

This was always going to be a rebuild year, in more ways than one. Sometimes everything goes right, and you still find yourself with a decent season (2019), other (most times) it’s a struggle for much of the year. It reminds me a lot of the early Porter years. Even 2016 to an extent. And in all of those years there were rumblings and voices saying maybe Porter needs to be replaced (some on this board). But those in the know, knew, and stayed the course. It obviously worked out. I am more than willing to stay the course for a few more years to see if it plays out. Why? Because even if it doesn’t, we’ll be in the same spot in a few years that we would be if we blew it all up now: rebuilding from scratch….almost certainly without any of the recruits Drew has coming in.

And the talk of Porter coming back is just loopy. I don’t personally know Porter, but I know of him, and have personally heard him talk (in the media and in regular conversation) of how much he hates the process of coaches being fired…especially coaches trying to build a program the way they want it. He’s passionate in those beliefs, because he was on the wrong end of such decisions at Illinois State. And I would say there is absolutely no chance he would do that to someone as close to him as Drew. Zero, zilch, nada.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:39 pm 

yikes...the offense in the second half reminded me of my grand daughters dance class recital...she is 7. I rewatched the second half in hope that it will replace giving up something for Lent. I dont think we even got a shot off in the first 5 possessions...we had 10 possessions where the guards roared into the lane. we got two hoops from that. 4 shots were swatted away...couple thrown away passes and a couple times the ball just exited their hands like Samantha from Bewitched was in the crowd. Few of the possessions went past 20 seconds. Some of the turnovers were just horrible, trying to catch a pass with one hand, driving right into defenders....dribbling and dribbling and dribbling. We did so much pick and roll unsuccessfully. Against the Bonnies we were so successful at the post player diving to the basket, not yesterday. And what a contrast from the first half..where we got so many clean looks...This group is so inconsistent...I am hoping we find the key to the puzzle...soon...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:44 am 

I will briefly give a counter to Drew and particularly the added contract year.

You don’t hire a prospect when you’ve gone to a final 4 and sweet 16 in the previous 5 years. If Mullins had stayed, then yes he should have been elevated to Head Coach. That’s the Gonzaga, Dayton, Xavier model that was so successful in continuity for stepping stone type of jobs.

I don’t feel Drew had enough experience in taking over this type of program. Evansville? Sure. But, not this program.

I said in an early post, I think he will be successful one day, but I truly don’t think it’ll be at LU.

Lastly - this rebuilding year being discussed now, was certainly not the talk preseason. Drew
made a mistake moving away from the system PM designed and did so without the personnel. Now he’s scrambling, tossing players under the bus and generally looks miserable and confused on the sideline.

I stick with my assessment- he ain’t ready for this type of job.

Pull the chord while you can.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:09 pm 

Does anyone have a thought about who would be a good replacement for Drew and would be willing to coach the Ramblers?
I understand that Gregg Marshall might be available.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:12 pm 

Yes, it has been a disappointing season for all of us.
We can, as has been done, debate what went wrong and why.
That said, it is time to support Drew and the program.
It would not be prudent to replace him as head coach. It is much too early to conclude that he can't coach.
IT WOULD BE A PURE PANIC MOVE that would set the program back.
Players would exit and recruits would question the program and its stability.
It is a transition year.
I am certain that behind the scenes Drew is being mentored and will learn the PR aspects to the job.
A lot of our angst comes from a fear of returning to the bad old days.
We have a great AD and the new President is very pro basketball program and will provide the support needed.
Drew and the program will be fine. On the women's side Allison will also turn the women's program around.
So better days will come.

As for Porter ever returning to Loyola, it would NEVER happen. He will do fine at Oklahoma.
The portal cost him two starters this year: Gibson left for DePaul and destroyed Loyola with his three point shooting and Harkless his best defender left for Nevada. But he is on track/ Lost four close Big12 games but his win today against number two Alabama will quiet any discontent.

I

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:46 pm 

Certainly important to know who you can bring in before you would decide to get rid of Drew. And if you are going to move away for Drew you must have a commitment to a top coach..Depaul has struggled with finding a coach since they decided Joey Meyer was no longer a good coach. Marquette struggled for a bit then bit the bullet and brought in Shaka Smart. To me it is not so much the x and o s but has his reputation suffered so that he can not get the Jimmy and Joes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:29 pm 

25yearstreak wrote:
On the women's side Allison will also turn the women's program around.
I

Agree with you on Drew. But from what I've seen (and some of what I've heard), not sure I agree on the women's side. But that's another convo.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:35 pm 

25yearstreak wrote:
Yes, it has been a disappointing season for all of us.
We can, as has been done, debate what went wrong and why.
That said, it is time to support Drew and the program.
It would not be prudent to replace him as head coach. It is much too early to conclude that he can't coach.
IT WOULD BE A PURE PANIC MOVE that would set the program back.
Players would exit and recruits would question the program and its stability.
It is a transition year.
I am certain that behind the scenes Drew is being mentored and will learn the PR aspects to the job.
A lot of our angst comes from a fear of returning to the bad old days.
We have a great AD and the new President is very pro basketball program and will provide the support needed.
Drew and the program will be fine. On the women's side Allison will also turn the women's program around.
So better days will come.

As for Porter ever returning to Loyola, it would NEVER happen. He will do fine at Oklahoma.
The portal cost him two starters this year: Gibson left for DePaul and destroyed Loyola with his three point shooting and Harkless his best defender left for Nevada. But he is on track/ Lost four close Big12 games but his win today against number two Alabama will quiet any discontent.

I

Agreed on all counts.