It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:44 pm 

Dansen wrote:
I haven’t ever been a Hutty truther per say, but it was odd that with Golden’s struggles this year especially early on that Hutty couldn’t ever get any minutes. Happy for him.

Same here.

Great to get a win. They said on the radio it's been like 31 days.

Ramblers! A-10!

One game out of a tie for 11th place!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:02 pm 

The happiness shown by the players as the buzzer sounded was palpable. I hadn’t been able to make a game since Albany (also a win, FWIW, just sayin), and after finally hearing about what happened on the bench a few games ago…I definitely took note of the attitudes after. Not saying we’re gonna go on a huge run of wins (although that would be nice), but it didn’t feel as bad as I feared. And the crowd….the CROWD….after 7 straight losses I was ready for the worst. It was not the worst. It was great.

See you all Feb 4.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:05 pm 

We are off the schnid....congrats to the players and staff and the fans that hung in there.
as Dansen mentioned the bench outscored the starters significantly in the first half and overall for the game. It was the depth we were talking about b4 the season began.
The players looked more confident tonight and Hutty in particular played with a certain determination.
Thought we ran some really good offensive sets and defensively also did some great things , in particular the way they double teamed the big Bonnie post player 32. not all the time but enough to complete some good defensive possessions.
Thought the key in the end was Schwieger hit a 3 from the right wing. we got the ball back. There was a time out and they ran a play for Scwieger to get another 3 and he nailed it..6 points boom, boom. I could be mistaken but I think that play was called during the time out.
Sheldon Edwards did not get a second of playing time. I did not notice if he was on the bench, did anyone else?
Coach's' demeanor on the sidelines seems better. What do people behind the bench observe.
Boy that W felt good.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:49 pm 

Held em to 31% shooting and a very good job by the coach I’ve been hounding. He changed rotations, stuck with hot hands etc. Well played and coached game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:03 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
Sheldon Edwards did not get a second of playing time. I did not notice if he was on the bench, did anyone else?
Coach's' demeanor on the sidelines seems better. What do people behind the bench observe.
Boy that W felt good.

Correct on Edwards. 0 mins

Coach was excellent today. Not once was anyone chewed out for mistakes. Maybe they read thru the discussion board and our Twitter vents. A lot of positivity, smiles and calmness today. At one point during play he gave a pep talk to the guys on bench and it ended with smiles and handshakes for each guy. Very excellent.

Winning Is Fun !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:27 pm 

RamblerRagas wrote:
Not once was anyone chewed out for mistakes.

Not true. Coach chewed out the manager who didn’t have the clipboard ready. Manager tried to plead his case to London who just laughed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:03 pm 

Great new(ish) A10 catholic uni rivalry for us, my thoughts:

- Great win, happy for Quinn, Hutty and Wilson getting significant playing time and contributing a ton.

- Played good defense today, held them to 55. Our 12 TOs didn't help but at least it's not 20. Everybody was diving for balls and taking charges. Honestly the Bonnies seemed to have an off-shooting night but we'll take it.

- Quise looked like he was having fun which based on the gossip, he wasn't a happy camper.

- Golden started but was quickly pulled. He still looks lost out there much of the time.

- Braden is still struggling from the 3 line. Hope he finds his stroke. We need him. (Does anybody feel he's quick releasing all the time, even when he's wide open and he can calmly setup the shot?)

- Schewigs was initially cold but made some big threes which allowed us to pull away with momentum

-I thought the Pack was sparsely attending the game but they were just coming in late. They added the 6th man out there and I think annoyed the Bonnies

- Drew did seem to be less animated than usual which is good. He needs to add more calm and steadiness right now than going off on the players who are already beating themselves up

- Sheldon needs more playing time. I not sure why he's in the dog house but let him out. We need him and his energy if we are to keep improving

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:16 am 

OK, little late with my thoughts because I went out and celebrated the first ever A10 win for LUC!

Here goes:

1). Shooting. I mentioned against SLU how our 2 pt shooting was horrific. Today, it was spectacular! We finished at 51.1 % overall, but a deeper dive really tells the story. We were bad from 3 pt range (more on this later) shooting only 5-19 which pencils out at 26.3 %. Braden and Quise were a combined 0-9. However, 2 pt shooting was 18-26 or 69.2%. While were making layups today, the big difference was our execution in the half court. We ran some really good stuff, especially in the second half. This was old LUC precision in the man to man offense. While the 3 pt shooting was bad in general, we did hit 3 huge 3s late in the 2nd half. Alston hit one and then Ben hit two back to back that really were daggers…..Onions Baby!

2). Did you notice we had 4 players in double figures? They were four guys who did not start! Welch, Wilson, Hutson, Kennedy. If you can get 40 plus points from your bench…you are gonna wins some games. I mentioned after the SLU game that I liked the new starting lineup because if gave us more pop off the bench. Now the surprise here was Hutson. We may not have thought he would be a double figure scorer today, but give Drew credit. He recognized that the Bonnies had a true post up center who was too big for Golden or Welch. Hutty came in with great energy and the offense when it went to him was getting him the ball rolling to the hoop. It was not throw it to him and watch him try to back in. He’s more effective catching in flow of a play. He also hit a 3 and had a coupe of blocks. Great job by Hutty today, but more importantly, he kept himself physically and mentally ready to play when called on.

3). Loved the minute distribution tonight. The guy whose minutes were out of whack was Norris. He struggled a bit and he could have played 3-5 minutes less. Good energy, when you play 9, those minutes keep guys involved, read and energized.

4). Some stats…TOs were at 12, not horrible but some of them were just silly, like clearing a defensive board and rushing and throwing the ball to the other team. We easily could have been under 10. We continue to reduce fouls. We had 15 total and the Bonnies never got into the bonus too early in either half. This was good. Defensive rebounding was horrible! Bonnies had 17, yep..not a misprint..17 offensive rebounds. We were playing good defense but gave them many 2nd, 3rd opportunities to score which kept them in the game. We could have held them in the 40s!

5). So, overall, these last two games were refreshing. We showed glimpses against SLU and played 40 minutes today. When the Bonnies came back a little, we did not rollover today. I don’t want to get out over my skis…but is this the game that gets us back on track? We will see as we hit the road for Duquense and Dayton next week.

6). Funny but curious. Bonnies’ fan were chanting 1-6 towards end of game. I don’t get it because the one is a win over the….BONNIES!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:15 am 

Post Game ----Better!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONOWaKxZ0Os

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:07 am 

Mudville21 wrote:
6). Funny but curious. Bonnies’ fan were chanting 1-6 towards end of game. I don’t get it because the one is a win over the….BONNIES!