It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rambler Rubin Meetup
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:11 am 

Both Lu and I (from Podcast63) are planning on going to watch future Rambler Miles Rubin and his Simeon team take on Curie this upcoming Thursday (1/26). The game is at 5PM at Curie. We hope to see you guys there. Wear maroon!!

Post subject: Re: Rambler Rubin Meetup
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:16 am 

Sounds fun! Here's the location if you aren't familiar:

4959 S Archer Ave
Chicago, IL 60632-3695

It's a block from the Orange Line Pulaski Station.

More info: curiehsathletics.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:32 am 

Thanks JCT! You’re the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:33 am 

Commenting just to bump this closer to the top. Entry is $8 cash. Game is at 5. Hope to see some fellow Ramblers there!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:20 pm 

JB,,,make sure you give us a run down on the game and thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:31 am 

Sun Times had a long article about Curie's upset of Simeon....

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/1/26/ ... los-harris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:22 am 

Miles played fantastic. He scored Simeon's first 6 points to go along with 2 blocked shots in the first 5 minutes of the game. Unfortunately Miles picked up 2 fouls in that same time period and was taken out of the game until the second half. I continue to be impressed with Miles touch around the rim. In the second half he had a couple nice touch shots, including an alley oop that he tipped in and showed great body control. In the fourth quarter, he was able to show off his rim running ability. He got down the court on a handful of fast breaks. He finished a couple with dunks. He got fouled on one, but didn't get the call. Another time he went up for an alley-oop and the pass was a bit too low for him to finish it. On defense, Miles really hunts for shot blocking opportunities, and he's damn good at it. Honestly, there was 2 separate times when he got a blocked shot where it might've been better to just allow the player to shoot a bad shot and look to get ready to grab the rebound and go. He also once or twice would double the ball handler on a drive and get stuck in the air trying to block a shot, while the ball handler dished to Miles' defender for an easy layup. Honestly, those plays were just excellent ball handling by the Curie player. Don't worry though, Miles is one of the most gifted shot blockers I've seen play in a while. He will benefit from coaching help at the next level to decide when to contest a shot and when to go for a blocked shot. In my opinion, Miles' teammates did not play well in this game. Although it didnt help that Miles picked up 2 fouls in 5 and a half minutes, Simeon's guard play was not very good when it usually is solid. Simeon turned the ball over many, many times. Also, when Curie hit the game winning shot, there was still two seconds left in the game. I have video of Miles' brother Wes calling a timeout with 1 second left, but he wasn't awarded the timeout. Just more chaos added to a fun and crazy high school ball game. Miles will need to bulk up in college, but his athletic ability alone will make him the best center prospect we've had in the last 20 years (I'm not counting Krutwig since he evolved out of no where, and wasn't considered a highly touted prospect by any outlets). Miles touch around the rim and defensive communication were things that I noticed and was pleasantly surprised by.

Miles finished with 14 points, 8 rebounds, 8 blocks, and an assist in about 20 minutes of play.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:03 am 

Thanks for the report...Sounds like he is a keeper but may not be an immediate answer to some of our issues? Do you seem him as a starter next year?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:10 am 

Newspaper account alludes that Curie might have had the home court benefit. Curie players talk about how they basically dared the refs to call fouls, mentioned physicality as a strategy. I wasn't able to go, but that's what it sounds like between the lines... Still....

I think I'll need to read more about the kid from Cali... anyone have any links/info?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:29 am 

natetheskate wrote:
Thanks for the report...Sounds like he is a keeper but may not be an immediate answer to some of our issues? Do you seem him as a starter next year?

Always have to worry a little about the transition to college, especially for a guy who hunts blocked shots. Easy to get burned at the next level. But he seems like a player who can figure it out pretty quickly. Since he's local, he'll get a nice, long summer in the weight room, too.