It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ITS AMAZING
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:17 pm 

how in one year a head coach can go from being a genius and one of the best young minds in the game to a well less than that.

If we take a deep breath I think we have to consider that

1. last year we had a senior laden team with a ton of experience and they knew the system.

2. we had two defensive stalwarts in Lucas and Aher and they could shut down players like Green of N. Iowa and Mosley on Mo State.
defense can keep you in games. This year we do not have it.

3. we have ten/eleven new players and you have to figure out who can do what and what are your best combos. You are also under pressure to see what the
freshmen can do so they don't leave.

4. there was a significant upgrade in conference. Watch an MVC and then watch the A10. A significant difference.

5. This is Drew's first year when he is at the center of attention and has to take the heat. It is clear from his body language that he does not know how to do this. He cannot look the questioner or the camera in the eye. He seems very nervous and yes wrongly tries to deflect blame. There should be no hint of discord in the locker room. The blame should be we. Watch Porter in his news conferences to Oklahome. He is not happy but clearly he lets everyone know that ultimately the loss or non performance falls on him.
THIS IS WHERE THE MENTOR THAT WAS HIRED TO THE STAFF NEEDS TO WORK WITH DREW. THIS IS VERY "COACHABLE". The AD was smart enough to know that he would need help. Time for the mentor to step up and if he is not listened too the mentor should resign.

Drew will be fine. He can recruit. These downturns happen to almost every coach. Read about Coach K at Duke who thought he was going to get fired when he was called into the AD office after this first year. Drew can recruit; he is smart. He will get through this and the program will be fine.
The AD needs to tell him to relax.

This has been a tough year for the alums and fans. Most of us expected more and in retrospect that was unfair.
IF Drew stays (and there is no indication he won't) the program will be fine; if he were to leave for whatever reason, the program will be set back.

Post subject: Re: ITS AMAZING
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:53 pm 

Nice take a breath post....I would add that we may not have great chances to win on the court for the reasons you have mentioned...but we can win in the Stands...I hope the fans and students keep coming to games. If we can show the team that we support their effort even though we may not the Ws we want that would be great.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:35 pm 

Great analysis. Don't forget Knight's defensive contribution. He may have been undersized, but he was sneaky good at blocking shots at key times of the game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:35 am 

Nice positive perspective 25. The only issues I have are can Valentine really recruit? We don't really know that yet. And transfers in, except for Alston who has given us more than somewhat expected, have been disappointing, especially Golden and Edwards. And the excuse of so many new players has not stopped other programs, notably Providence, from matching or exceeding last year's results. While I did not not think we'd compete for an A10 championship or get an at-large bid, we have not been competitive, except for Clemson (those fans much really hate the loss to us). I think that Coach should throw out the play book he had from the beginning of the year and get back to simple basketball. It can't hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:58 am 

I feel like it's way easier to find "good recruiters" than it is to find coaches who can make kids dig down to play hard defense and enjoy it.

Our problem before in recruiting was that we were in a crappy league, no one knew who we were, we had ultra-high admission standards, and we hadn't had success for many years. The very best recruiters in the country would have problems with that. Now we're supposed to have solved all those problems. So let's get Miles Rubin to play with Phil Alston and Ben Schweiger and a lock-down on-ball defender who can score and drive to the basket (Quinn looks like he could be a candidate for that....), add a couple of longish three-point threats (6'5" with a wingspan) and maybe a rim-protector, and let's go.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:34 am 

JCT....glad you mentioned Quinn as a lock down defender. In the St.Louis game they were trying to get the ball to #3 Perkins who had already lit us up with some silky 3s...Quinn hounded him for a good 10 seconds , through around and under several screens and did not let him get the ball...It was impressive. Reminded me of Ben Richardson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:34 pm 

Quinn had so many steals on the France trip and has looked very good defensively this season. I think the problem was that we really needed him to run some point and let Braden play off the ball more (which is what they did against St Louis especially in the first half) but early in the season he just kept turning the ball over or making bad decisions when he was in there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:58 pm 

Boooom! wrote:
Quinn had so many steals on the France trip and has looked very good defensively this season. I think the problem was that we really needed him to run some point and let Braden play off the ball more (which is what they did against St Louis especially in the first half) but early in the season he just kept turning the ball over or making bad decisions when he was in there.

I think Mudville said this in another thread, but I really like the idea of paring up Braden/Jalen and Quise/Jayden.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:28 pm 

goramblers2011 wrote:
Boooom! wrote:

I think Mudville said this in another thread, but I really like the idea of paring up Braden/Jalen and Quise/Jayden.

Yeah it's a great idea, keeps us from getting too small on the perimeter. Seems like a moot point now with Dawson possibly done for the season, and I guess Kennedy possibly leaving?

That's one of my big frustrations with Drew this year, he substitutions just seemed punitive rather than having any strategy or plan behind it. Braden plays all game because he tries hard in practice, even though that hurts his productivity, and everybody else gets yanked the second they make a mistake.

Seems like Drew tried to implement his preferred up-tempo style throughout the offseason/pre-season, realized too late it wasn't gonna work with this roster, and is now just kind of winging it.