It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:30 pm 

Love this effort. Look like a different squad out there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:53 pm 

Missed layups and free throws were tough. Would have loved to see us take a lead to half.

Defense still needs to be better.

But turnovers and fouls down. Team seems to have a high level of energy. Supporting each other.

Now the big test. The dreaded second half.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:02 pm 

goramblers2011 wrote:
Missed layups and free throws were tough. Would have loved to see us take a lead to half.

Defense still needs to be better.

But turnovers and fouls down. Team seems to have a high level of energy. Supporting each other.

Now the big test. The dreaded second half.

I’m not feeling confident about the second half. I’m proud of the effort from the team though, it seems they focused heavily on minimizing turnovers and fouls in practice and Drew got them in the right headspace.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:25 pm 

Blers42 wrote:
I’m not feeling confident about the second half.

Yep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:59 pm 

Few thoughts:

-Overall, a much better performance than what we saw in Philly. I think it's clear that even when we play decent, we just aren't on the level of SLU, VCU, Dayton.

-Javonte Perkins is an elite scorer and was the difference maker tonight for SLU.

-Jalen Quinn had a real nice game getting big minutes in for Quise.

-Defense still giving up too many open looks. Another game giving up over 75 points. Every A10 game thus far.

-SLU had a lot of fans in the house. Much better people than the BU and ISU fans that'd come to Gentile.

-Would like to see Hutty get some minutes.

-On the offensive end, could have been a much closer game if we finished some of our bunnies (Kennedy & Golden each had a missed layup that come to mind), if Schwieger hit his open corner 3s and if Alston hit his free throws (he's going to get a lot of them given his style...).

We play like this Saturday, I think we get our first A10 win.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:28 pm 

Pluses:. Quinn, less turnovers, increased effort and heart and the Pack being back

Minuses: Defense, FG%, free throws, overall second half collapse and the number of SLU fans (expected a big turnout given the number of Chicago catholic high schools that feed SLU)

Still lost by almost 20 but happy with the turnover reduction

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:48 pm 

It wasn't a totally pitiful game, but still bad. Still trying to find our level in the NET, Kenpom, etc. Will we hit 300? A down year for us should be what St Bonaventure is having right now. Ranked 150, not 280. We should pretty much never have a year like this.

Offensively, it seemed like we generated some good shots.

There are guys on this team who are some of the worst defenders I've seen in a long time.

I don't know what Drew would say, but I also don't know how you watch your team lose a lead, see a halftime deficit go from 4 to 9 immediately, then go to 17, and you only call one time out. How do you end that game with two TOs in your pocket? And no the sub timeout doesn't count.

On the postgame, Drew seemed... skeptical about Marquise. Said he didn't know, he was told something happened in warmups, he couldn't play, then he could play in the second half. "I hope he hasn't given up on this team" was more or less a direct quote. Unfortunate especially considering that Marquise is a guy who seems to get hurt every game and keeps playing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:21 pm 

I want to be positive, because I liked the effort and only nine turnovers is great. But...

We let them shoot 58%, while we shot a tick below 40%. Shot selection is a problem. We kept driving to the hoop, into traffic, against a team that's built to deny inside shooting. SLU is 40th in defending against two point shots, and (surprise!) we shot worse from two than we did from three in this game. We got away with it in the first half, because they had foul trouble.

SLU completely controlled the tempo in the 2nd half. Rebounding was bad-- outrebounded by 15 for the game, including the play where Okoro was surrounded by Ramblers, got the offensive rebound, and was fouled.

A lot of missed free throws kept us under 60 points again, which probably won't win many A10 games. We've scored under 60 points in 3 of our 6 A-10 games, and 64 points in one of the other three.

We were outscored by 13 in the second half. That's the fifth straight game where we've been outscored by double digits in the 2nd half, and we've been outscored in the second half by 12.3 points on average in A10 play.

Despite the improvement in turnovers, we dropped 11 more places in KenPom, into the 240s.

Need Marquise back, hope Dawson isn't out too long.

This team is still trying to find out where the bottom is.... so I'll end with a positive note. Last year, Duquesne had a similar season, starting 6-7 and winning their first conference game on the road before losing every game from there on out. 1-16 in conference, 6-24 overall, 280 in KenPom. This year, they're 13-6 overall, 3-3 in the A10, and 110 in KenPom. So it's possible to turn things around fast after a really bad year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:42 pm 

We've gone from a defense people make videos about to a defense where half the guys on the court forget they have to guard somebody.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:13 pm 

Just listened to the post-game presser. Hate that comment Drew made about Quise. Unacceptable to even really imply that. Quise has fought through more injuries than anyone on the squad and has always put his body on the line. What was Drew thinking with that comment?