It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:57 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
We've gone from a defense people make videos about to a defense where half the guys on the court forget they have to guard somebody.

Quote of the year :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:07 am 

Few Thoughts:

1. Can you play better and still lose by almost 20? Yes. We had a season low in TOs and probably in fouls as well. You would think we would have been right in the game, but we weren't. Why? Keep reading.

2. Shooting. We got plenty of inside looks and shots in the paint that didn't go. Our three inside scorers were 5-20.Alston was 4-13, Golden was 0-4, and Welch was 1-3. It appeared there may have been a couple of non-calls, but 5-20 doesn't cut it. Overall, we were 19-48 from the floor. We had only 4 less shots than SLU. So, 39% with the big three and rest of the team shot 14-28 or 50%. Some of the misses included layups by Quinn, Quise, Norris. We shot the three well, 8-18 or 44%. We left some points at the FT line going 13-20 for 65%. Alston was rough going 6-12 frim the line. We took some extremely quick shots that allowed SLU to get out in transition for some easy open looks. I will get to our defense next, but the culprit tonight was poor shooting from 2 where, despite everything, we normally are solid.

3. Defense was nice for first 10 or 12 Minutes of the game and then got worse. Second half was not good at all. This includes some sloppy work on the defensive glass. We are terrible playing screen roll. We consistently go underneath the screen and our defender guarding the screener just does not show to stop the dribbler. SLU was consistently coming off screen and doing one of 2 things. First they would penetrate a dribble or two, elevate and shoot an open 10 or 12 footer. The second thing they would do is to either stop and shoot or flatten out a bit and shoot the 3. These shots were basically uncontested. Now, you have to credit SLU. They were really coming tight off the screen there was no space for a defender to get through. This is a well coached team. We never adjusted. I have already mentioned the defensive glass.

4. I know we had some injuries, but I was actually OK with the new starting lineup. It's obvious that Quise is not physically right . They have been managing his minutes the whole year. I like Quinn starting with Norris. It gives us a bigger 2 guard. When Quise gets back, pair him Dawson when he gets back. Each freshman thus has a veteran guard and it gives you chance to rest Norris. I also like Welch, Jermil on the second grouping. It gives us more offense with either Alston or Ben.

5. We are not mentally strong as a group. We are like the dog that has been kicked too much. We normally start out in good shape. Once the other team punches back and gets into the game, we start to really decline. It's as if we are waiting for bad things to happen to us. Once we get to this point, we start to dribble too much and we don't move the ball or our bodies.

6. DREW MUST STOP TALKING AFTER THE GAMES. His comments are not painting him in good light. I get he's a young passionate guy, but he's also frustrated and it comes out. He's also too truthful. He should have played Quise off and said he tweaked his leg and we will know more tomorrow. Coach speak 101. His other comments should have been we made good progress with TOs and Fouls, but we just didn't shoot well tonight and we did better on defense, but need to clean up some stuff still. Bam, 45 seconds and get out!

7. The team looked like they were into the game while it was close they were excited. This is a good sign.

8. Miles Rubin was at the game. He's probably thinking he will be a starter next year if he stays with us. He would be correct.

9. The conference season is a bust. These games are now nothing more than exhibitions and practice to get ready for the A10 tournament. Keep getting better, scratch out a few wins and let's be dangerous in March.

Last edited by Mudville21 on Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:26 am 

Great stuff, Mudville. Appreciate the analysis on our defensive woes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:05 pm 

Drew's post game conference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efe4w05vxtw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:20 pm 

Reading between the lines, sound like Marquise might be transferring? Which would make sense, as next year's tournament chances seem in the slim-to-none zone based on current performance.

On one hand, I do like that Drew's oversharing postgame comments allow some insight into what's happening behind the scenes. On the other hand, those insights paint a very troubling picture about the locker room, not to mention that Drew isn't even savvy enough to not let his grievances with players slip out in public is a huge red flag in itself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:27 pm 

RAMBLOR wrote:
Reading between the lines, sound like Marquise might be transferring? Which would make sense, as next year's tournament chances seem in the slim-to-none zone based on current performance.

On one hand, I do like that Drew's oversharing postgame comments allow some insight into what's happening behind the scenes. On the other hand, those insights paint a very troubling picture about the locker room, not to mention that Drew isn't even savvy enough to not let his grievances with players slip out in public is a huge red flag in itself.

The more we have to watch these post-game press conferences and clues being revealed, the more I am reminded of the Sheryl Swoopes saga and what a calamity that was and what a bad fit this might be.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:57 pm 

RAMBLOR wrote:

Not only does it paint a bad picture of the locker room, it also strains the relationship with the players. It's immature and unprofessional and I only see it creating more issues with a team Drew already appears to have lost.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:46 pm 

“I hope he hasn’t given up on this team.”

Your head coach describing a 4 year veteran.

End of story, 3 feet over didn’t work and won’t work. Cut the chord with Drew or that final 4 and sweet 16 will be backseat memories for years to come.

It is inexcusable to lose this team the way he has.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:01 am 

It seems to me that either someone had a serious conversation with Drew about his post-game interviews or he watched himself and realized what it looked like. This one, the tone was more positive. But several times he seemed to to start to blame the players and stopped himself. The biggest slip was the Kennedy thing, but he sort of walked that back a little before it got worse. You have to feel sorry for the guy. He was obviously blindsided by how things have turned out, and nothing he's tried has worked.

This may seem very subjective but was very real to me: I thought the team looked enthusiastic and ready to play when they came out of the locker room for final warm-ups. But the coaching staff, to a man, looked defeated. Every head was down and nobody was talking. The contrast with the St Louis staff right in front of me was striking.

The only thing that matters for the rest of this season is signs of character and signs of improvement. I was glad to see some of both in the SLU game and I agree with many of the comments above that reflect that, especially with regard to the individual defense in the first 16 minutes of the game.

Many on the board are commenting on the move up to the A-10. The physical difference is certainly noticeable, as it was between the Horizon and the MVC. Same for the athleticism of the 4s and 5s. But I don't doubt that our last five teams that were pretty dominant in the Valley would have been upper echelon teams in the A-10. Moving up to the A-10 is not the reason, or even a reason, for the team's poor showing this year. That began with the near loss to FDU, the squeaker at UIC, the disaster at Myrtle Beach, etc. None of those were A-10 teams or even good teams. Whatever the problem is, it didn't start with conference play. As for the 11 new players, that's certainly a factor, but they did have extra time together because of the foreign tour. The biggest change this year, as someone else mentioned, is the absence of the incredible defense we got from Lucas and Uguak.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:23 am 

goramblers2011 wrote:
Just listened to the post-game presser. Hate that comment Drew made about Quise. Unacceptable to even really imply that. Quise has fought through more injuries than anyone on the squad and has always put his body on the line. What was Drew thinking with that comment?