It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:22 pm 

Mental performance coach, strength and conditioning coach
I don't know how to address this at all. A head coach relying on this structure is something I'm not familiar with. Is this an unnecessary layer? Is the solution something very simple? I just don't see a fix at the moment and clearly neither does Drew.
I had a long talk with a Big East coach and we discussed the ability to recruit the combination of a super quick point and a tall 2 guard as being essential in conference play. This seems to make sense yet LU had its greatest success with Ben and Clay. That's one of the reasons I love basketball, Every successful team finds its own path.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:11 pm 

That video was pretty rough to listen to. Crazy how fast the fortunes have changed. Here is hoping they find whatever they are looking for and we get back on track.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:26 pm 

I remain in the same camp today as I was from day 1: He’s not ready for this job and LU shouldn’t go to the A-10.

This team competes in the Valley, probably would finish 3rd / 4th this year and go the the NIT given the credentials built. Might be looking at 4 league wins in the A10.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:36 pm 

Trying to sort things out here
1. I was watching a Missouri Valley game the other night...and my thought was we could beat those guys. My point is we have a good Missouri Valley team but not a good A-10 team. I think regardless of team chemistry we are in for a long season.
2. The turnovers are a result of a. Inexperienced players b. some sloppiness c. Sometimes just players being overmatched by better athletes. The point guard from VCU seemed to me to be the equal of Lucas Williamson
3. Losing magnifies everything and makes it more difficult.
BUT....as an alumn who is now going to his 6oth year of LU games...I want...to see the kids play hard, I want to see them be a team and get along...I want to see the Coach communicate in a positive way..and I want to see us continue to graduate our players....I want to see a great game day atmosphere with the students involved and the band with the bassoon player just keep ripping it out......and of course I would like to see Ws. all of these are controllable even w/o the Ws...
Going forward I expect to see this resolved....A reset to our old default...play hard, play for each other...Coach needs to communicate with the team and establish a baseline of expectations..in a positive way...and those who will not abide by this need to leave now. I never expect to see kids thrown under the boss in a press conference again....and a baseline needs to be established for Coach as well and if he cannot abide by that then .....I have talked to Coach several times and find him to be a good guy and would like to see him be coach for a long time...but... In talking to a friend he thinks Coach should be suspended?

Then of course there is our part....like someone else mentioned..I will be there, going to support the kids that take the floor and play hard.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:04 pm 

Rambling0101 wrote:
I remain in the same camp today as I was from day 1: He’s not ready for this job and LU shouldn’t go to the A-10.

This team competes in the Valley, probably would finish 3rd / 4th this year and go the the NIT given the credentials built. Might be looking at 4 league wins in the A10.

Disagree,,, heck we could have stayed in the Horizon League……..
I think the schools in A10 and LUC will become a good fit for everyone. No doubt the challenge is on the table and we need to make it successful. Recruiting up will happen. Kids are out there that want to play at this level at schools of this caliber. Gotta go find them.
Way better media coverage will help too. Stay the course….
BTW, I expect, as Sr Jean says that the scoreboard at the end of the St Joes game will show a big W for the Ramblers…..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:11 pm 

Yeah I agree. Drew may or not be right guy for LUC, but jumping to the A10 was 100% the right move.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:14 pm 

So my stance on the A10 is when you are king of the conference, and that conference is a 1-2 bid league. You stay.

Horizon we were bottom feeders so I don’t quite see the comparison. A-10 is a jump - in the top half of the conference - for night in night out games.

We have plenty of ability to hang around and be a mid pack type of team in the A10 (Davidson post Curry) that gets hot every now and then and makes the tourney.

My contention is that in the Valley we would never be “out” of making a St Louis run and catching a bid even in the off years.

Obviously- my thoughts have zero to do with financial differences between conferences, so if the package is significantly bigger in A10 then maybe I’m wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:41 am 

Well, I don't think the shift to the A10 is a problem. We just did it at a point in time where we graduated a ton of players in the same year and have 11 new faces. Some of the teams of the last 5 years would have competed in the A10 and may have even dominated it. Just a quirk that we happen to be shifting over when we were going to be down a bit this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:09 pm 

Here are my points:

(1) The A10 was a great move. I miss the local flavor of the teams, but it is no doubt a step up in class. We just picked a bad year to move.
(2) We are paying the price for keeping the older players. Not only did it cost playing time for younger players, but it also cost us roster spots. I am not crying about it, but we are paying for it.
(3) The makeover of the roster is more than I thought. There were only a handful of players who returned. Welch, Norris, Kennedy, Thomas and Hutson. Norris started every game. Kennedy and Hutson started 19 games, Welch and Thomas did not start a game and played less than 10 minutes a game. Thomas and Hutson are not playing much at all. We are replacing 65% of the minutes played last year. If you take away the minutes Norris played, we are replacing 85% of the minutes played last year.
(4) The new transfers have not flourished. Our best transfer is a Division II player. I don't think it is coaching as much as these players don't seem to fit. I think you can blame the coaches for not getting more out of them, but still the players need to take advantage of the time they are on the floor.
(5) For most of us, coaching has changed dramatically. First, there are coaches for coaches. Players have their own shooting coach, strengthen coach, sports psychologist, etc. It is crazy. Second, the interaction between player and coach is completely different than what it was when I was young. In the last few years, I had the pleasure of being an assistant to a twenty-something coach who coached teenagers. The coach was able to get the best out of the players, more than older coaches did. However, the candor and the strategy discussions were eye-opening. These kids know a lot more than we give them credit. The players are incredabily knowledgeable. I don't think most of us can comprehend the relationship between a young coach and his players. I think Drew will find his way. He comes from a coaching family and has a lot of connections. He will figure it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:58 pm 

I would recognize an ugly game like that anywhere ... it was one of those totally gross growth games and will be followed by a splendid performance by all. Don't give up on these Ramblers! They are feeling their way and by season's end will look more like a Loyola Basketball team! Don't forget, this is the hand Coach V was dealt. Hold your judgement 'til season's end, that is the time to evaluate the coaching job! Go Ramblers, beat St Joseph's Saturday!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next