It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:04 am 

Trying to focus on positives, I agree with what everybody else has said

- Ben continues to impress on the offensive side, even if it doesn’t drop I like the aggression and especially how quick he pulls the trigger shooting 3s
- Think we only get burned once, maybe twice backdoor. That was a bigger issue earlier on
- I really like the way Dawson plays, he was getting after Loyer. Think he will be special for us, pretty similar build to a young Marques Townes
- Hutty looked pretty good!
- Quinn jumped in pretty seamlessly after sitting this long
- Saint has a clear off-season objective of purely focusing on speed/agility work

Also thought it was weird how long Davidson kept in some starters when we clearly started rolling out the bench/walk ons

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:03 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
Thanks for posting the link. I wonder what was edited out in the middle.

I listened to the radio postgame. Drew said something along the lines of “I’m embarrassed right now. I hope all the guys in the locker room are as embarrassed as I am.”

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:23 pm 

With respect to the turnovers comment in the interview and the interview itself, I was negatively struck by Drew calling out players by name - Kennedy - on a prompt question on the ball screens. Normally the answer is “we have to do a better job” Not Quise let him go and played bad D, because I had drawn it up correctly.

Secondly on the turnovers, this is the result of moving to a higher possession offense. You flow ISO’s and flares etc trying to create shots at a higher clip than the previous system did. With that comes higher turnovers, particularly when you don’t have the personnel to run that style of system. Again, calling out the seniors for their turnover issues when in fact they are playing in a system that is not designed for their skill set is the classic “don’t look at me, I gave em the right stuff, they just screwed it up.”

It shows a lack of maturity on Drew’s end. And he will get better. I just think it will be a lot like a PM post Illinois State...in other words, Drew may be a really really good head coach after a couple of stops post Loyola.

All that being said, at least we don’t have Illinois’ issue w Underwood because those guys are quitting on him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:18 pm 

I disagree with previous post. Drew’s last comment was I’m not doing my job when my guys are not ready to play. Drew took ownership of needing to do better. His comments on Quise were fair cuz it was obvious to anyone watching the games that the turnovers were not due to defensive pressure and were up at the top of the key leading to dunks and fast breaks. Just lazy passes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:36 pm 

I think we are close. Fewer turnovers and making an open shot is the difference between winning and losing. Although we won a lot of games over the last few years, the margin between winning and losing has been small. The little things make a difference. Last night, we missed several wide open threes and bunnies. That is the difference between winning and losing. If we tighten it up, then we can win some games. Defense is not as good as it has been. No Williams, Richardson or Aher on this team. The offense is different and we do get some good shots. With this roster, we should be more consistent on offense. We are not going to win shooting 43 percent from the floor and 27 percent from the arc. We need to shoot closer to 50 and 35 to win.

I don’t think Coach’s comments are unfair. Kennedy and Norris have been around long enough that he can be frank with them. I am sure they are all frustrated. We need more consistency from our veterans.