It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:27 am 

1. I am not sure what this game said.
on the positive side the stats were not bad.
We won the assist turnover battle
We won the steal battle.
Shot the ball decently 51% 36 from 3%
Decent from the line
We had some new offensive sets that gave us some new looks..
We seemed to keep responding until we got to several crucial possessions.

On the Negative side.
We just keep getting beat by point guards...The defense of the high pick and roll just seems to have been ineffective. A lot of teams do it. we used to do it really well but now teams seem well prepared for it and get the point guard into the lane or open for 3shot.This is just not the same defensive talent. Essentially without putting any blame on Schweiger he is trying to replace Lucas Williamson who was an elite defender,
GW looked like the way more composed, confident team. Even w/o the students the gym got loud and the game got close they did not blink.

Some general thoughts on game and A-10
Th A-10 is not going to be easy. GW who had almost a whole team of P-5 transfers had better overall talent and did not seem to care a whole lot about our past accomplishments.
We had several chances to get back in this game but rushed the offense and put up quick shots.
JCT described the team as lethargic...and have been wondering what is going on? They do not seem to have the same energy...Something seems to have changed in what used to seem like a great team attitude. I dont see much connection between Drew and the team..????
When it came down to it we lost to one guy who had an incredible night...and a team who hit some tough 3s
JCt mentioned that when we played zone it looked awkward. But if I am correct it we have played it in 6 possessions in two different games, 3 of those possessions we got a turnover and score and in the GW game we got 2 stops out of 3. I think this team needs a defensive change....and maybe the zone is it or at least played more. We just keep getting slower defensive guys matched against quicker guys.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:43 pm 

I’m gonna try to watch the game again at some point but for me Alston appears to be the biggest weakness on defense and teams seem to be working to get him on the ball when the scoring guard has the ball.
I think we have looked better and been more effective the limited amount of time we have played zone and also when pressing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:45 pm 

Unfortunately the only stats that matter in my mind are:
GW 32-50 from the field; team shoots it at 45% clip coming and it was on the road. That is lack of team preparation on the LU end.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:45 pm 

I have rewatched this game as well as a few previous games. Our concerns have evolved over time and now that turnovers are better, the defense is the issue. Braden and Quise on the floor are small and paying the price for a switching defense. Their lack of height could be covered if our bigger guys were more aware and quicker to rotate with conviction, not getting caught behind or in nowhere land.
The most egregious turnovers are coming between interactions with Ben and Braden, mostly at the top of the key leading to break away dunks, or lost offensive possessions. Ben is a talented freshman and I hope he takes on the defensive aspects being just as important as offense. Both Tom and Bryce seem to get caught out of rotation. Maybe stop switching and play straight up, using Dawson or Jalen, (both bigger guys) for some size with a few defensive stops.
Also I hope Saint gets confidence to take it to the rim as Ben does. I’ve seen him pull up and pass out rather than go the distance. He has the size to do this, maybe needs some encouragement.
I thinks we are our worst enemy more so than the competition.,
Was Drew running the defense when Porter was here?
I’m on board not needing to win every game and get the players on the floor for future use. Defense needs someone to take it on and relish the role.
Go Ramblers….