It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:01 am 

I know it's a stat that people love/hate and it can be deceptive especially in garbage time, but the +/- stats from the past few games are interesting.

Tom Welch had 4 points and 5 rebounds in 30 minutes against Albany, but had a +16 to lead all players on the day, even better than Alston with 17 points and 11 rebounds (12 on the plus minus, just ahead of Norris with 11). Shows that Welch does a lot of little things that don't show up with traditional stats.

In the Clemson game, Alston led all players with 23, but Norris, Welch, and...... Jayden Dawson (!!!) were right behind with 20 each. Dawson was significant because he only played 17 minutes.

Golden, Thomas, Edwards, and Hutson are all underwater in the plus/minus from the past THREE games (UWGB, Clemson, Albany), which were generally really good games for the team. We need someone (or two) from that group to step up and become a reliable contributor off the bench.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:14 am 

Where do you get the plus/minus stats? I've been wanting to check on that, so thanks for posting it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:28 am 

What has happened to Sheldon Edwards? Is he injured or just buried on the bench?

Amazing to me that Golden is not really contributing at all.[/quote]

Great post. These are the 2 guys that you figures would be major contributors.....if not starters. And 11 games in we literally have nothing from them except Edwards game saving buzzer beater agains Farleigh Dickinson.

I hope Edwards wrist is still bothering him and that's the issue....because then there is hope he will recover and be a contributor. Fact is his shooting has been awful since that first game....and since he is not a good defender....Drew has had him on the bench the past 2 games.

Golden remains the one of the biggest mysteries in all of college basketball. 4 star recruit who averaged about 9 and 5 as a 3 year starter in the Big East.....he moves "down" a conference level and he can't earn more than 7 or 8 minutes for us? And looks lost and disinterested for all of those 7 minutes? Against many opponents that did not have strong post players? Just bizarre.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:52 am 

And with A10 play starting soon, it will be important for one or both of Golden and Hutson to contribute besides Welch, as a "big." Without that, I'm afraid it could be a tough time in the conference.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:08 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
Where do you get the plus/minus stats? I've been wanting to check on that, so thanks for posting it.

Final box scores on the Athletics website show +/-
https://loyolaramblers.com/documents/2022/12/18/Loyola_MBB_vs._UAlbany_Box_Score.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:32 am 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:36 pm 

You can also find the + - on the LU site..If you go to Mens Basketball schedule and then do the PDF box score it is there for every game

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:44 pm 

Caught the Dayton game at the UC this past weekend. Few concerns:

1. Their fans took up the entire lower bowl. I think there are going to be A LOT of Dayton fans at Gentile. Even heard a lot of them talking about that game. Hoping that with our students and season ticket holders, we can be 70/30 Loyola. But Dayton fans will be like early MVC ISU & Bradley fans.

2. They have a big guy, DaRon Holmes, who is going to be a nightmare for us. I am not sure I see any of our bigs being able to slow him down. He has a really good post game.