It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:33 am 

Friday, November 18, 2022 8:30 p.m.
HTC Center, Conway, S.C.

Going into the last game of the first day of the 2022 Myrtle Beach Invitational between Loyola and Tulsa, every underdog had taken down the favorite. The two P5 teams, Texas A&M and Colorado, the two teams ranked above Loyola in KenPom, both lost. Boise State, the other top 100 KenPom team in the tournament and the Ramblers' probable next opponent also lost. This left Loyola with a wide open path to winning the event, favored by 7 points over Tulsa. But as the team has done 65 or so times in their last 3 games, the Ramblers lost the handle on it and kicked the opportunity out of bounds for yet another turnover. Loyola lost 85-66 to Tulsa after being tied 30-30 at the half.

Now Loyola is on the loser's side of the bracket with all the pre-tournament favorites, so it's not going to get easier. Friday's opponent is Boise State, who got smoked by Charlotte, 54-42. In that game, the Broncos scored only 11 points in the first half and trailed by 20 midway through the second half. BSU's leading scorer Max Rice (son of coach Leon Rice) was limited to only four points, and second-leading scorer Marcus Shaver, Jr. was held to nine.

The Broncos lost a lot of players after last season, when they won the Mountain West tournament for the league's auto bid, and worked their way into the AP Top 25. This year they were picked to finish 3rd in the resurgent league's preseason poll, behind San Diego State and Wyoming, just ahead of Colorado State. But they're looking a little shaky in the early going, having lost to South Dakota State in their home opener, and to Charlotte at Myrtle Beach. They picked up a win over regional rival Washington State at home. Boise State sits at 97 in KenPom, down from 83 yesterday. The Ramblers have fallen from 70 to 84 overnight.

BSU is likely to start 6'7" sophomore forward Tyson Degenhart, 6'10" junior center Lukas Milner, 6'7" junior guard Chibuzo Agbo, 6'5" senior guard Max Rice, and 6'2" senior guard Marcus Shaver, Jr. Coming into the MTE, Rice was BSU's leading scorer at 18 per game, and Shaver averaged 16. Degenhart led the Broncos in scoring on Thursday with 14 points, but it took him 15 field goal attempts and some free throws to get there. Shaver was the leading rebounder with 10. Naje Smith, a 6'7" senior forward, is the sixth man-- the rest of the bench players do not usually play more than 6-8 minutes per game.

This young college season has been full of crazy upsets-- Louisville losing to Bellarmine, Florida Gulf Coast over USC, Sam Houston State over Porter Moser's Oklahoma team at Lloyd Noble Arena, Temple over Villanova, Prairie View A&M over Washington State, UC Irvine over Oregon, UC Davis over Cal, Cal Baptist over Washington, etc. Every game on the first day of the Myrtle Beach Invitational has been an upset. Boise State lost their home opener to South Dakota State (a buy game), and Loyola needed a full-court heave and a buzzer-beater to keep from losing their opening night buy game. The backlog of experience because of an extra year of eligibility for the COVID year and the revolving door of the transfer portal has evened out the talent and experience levels, especially in the high mid-major ranks. St. Bonaventure returned four points from last year's team; not four points per game, four total points-- two baskets from an entire season.

But inexperience and a lot of new faces is no excuse for the turnover situation through the first three games. Last Friday's game at UIC was the program's single worst game for turnovers (25) in at least the past 12 years (I don't have the game-by-game records before that). Last night's 22 turnovers has only been exceeded twice in the 350+ games played over the last 12 years. And 18 turnovers in Loyola's first game of the year was the season high in turnovers in several whole seasons over the past decade. So the first three consecutive games to start the season have had turnover totals that would be the worst in a typical season, the worst in a typical a four-year college career, and the worst in a generation-- back to back to back.

Last season Loyola made 404 turnovers in 33 games, which was about the middle of the pack in college basketball (12.2 per game). That was up from 364 in 31 games (11.7 per game) in 2020-21. Through three games so far this year, Loyola leads all of college basketball in turnovers and is on pace to make 715 turnovers in a 33-game season. Until the turnover problem is fixed, there are likely to be several more embarrassing halves of basketball where the opposition buries the Ramblers with 55 points.

Loyola game notes: https://loyolaramblers.com/documents/20 ... _Notes.pdf

Boise State game notes: https://broncosports.com/gameday/mens-b ... bball/134/

TV/Streaming video: ESPN+ https://www.espn.com/espnplus/player/_/ ... 4a6801f31c

Radio/Streaming audio: https://loyolaramblers.com/watch/?Live=122&type=Live

Live stats: https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=435064

Vegas odds: Loyola by 0.5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:23 pm 

Another disappointing half. At one point Boise was like 3 for 18 and we could not make any hay. Still committing UNFORCED and STUPID turnovers. SLOW down! Still committing STUPID reach in fouls. Our defense is playing way too high on the floor. Why are we defending 45 feet from the basket? The space behind our defense is massive. Once someone gets beat, there is zero chance to help. We are small and we can't even double post because we are playing so far out. This looks nothing like Loyola system defense. None of the wall principals in the locker room are being followed. Did they take it down?

Are we doing any of the things in the attached video?

https://www.google.com/search?q=loyola+defense&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwil6eLgpbn7AhUYmokEHZ37BDwQ_AUoA3oECAEQBQ&biw=1366&bih=587&dpr=1#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:d696141a,vid:1cxcJB8kC9o

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:51 pm 

This team has been so hard to watch. The disciplined Loyola teams that we have been use to seem to be gone. I’m not feeling good about this year, I don’t understand what they were practicing in the off-season. I’m not impressed with Drew’s coaching so far and this feels like his true first year, last year he got bailed out by all of our seniors and sticking to Loyola fundamentals that Porter set up.

With all of that being said it can’t get much worse than this. They’re going to eventually clean up these small mistakes. There’s no way they can remain dead last in the league in turnover ratio.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:08 pm 

Are they gonna clean it up? They got to practice early due to French trip and this our 4th game of the year. This is painful to watch. No offensive flow at all. Too much one on one. Our defense gets worse as each game goes on. We have scored 13 points in the second half with 5:08 to go.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:11 pm 

Mudville21 wrote:
Are they gonna clean it up? They got to practice early due to French trip and this our 4th game of the year. This is painful to watch. No offensive flow at all. Too much one on one. Our defense gets worse as each game goes on. We have scored 13 points in the second half with 5:08 to go.

I mean they’re dead last in the league in turnovers, I don’t have much confidence in the team anymore but when you’re rock bottom there’s only one way you can go. The odds of them getting better are much higher than them remaining the worst team in the league in terms of turning over the ball.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:16 pm 

Man, we kind of stink.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:19 pm 

goramblers2011 wrote:
Man, we kind of stink.

It’s going to be a rough year. Had a feeling this was going to be the case but I never imagined it would be this bad.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Mods please fix that link for me lol.

Last edited by Blers42 on Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:25 pm 

Would love to hear Drew in the post-game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:41 pm 

Blers42 wrote:
goramblers2011 wrote:
Man, we kind of stink.

It’s going to be a rough year. Had a feeling this was going to be the case but I never imagined it would be this bad.

[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jGSvx ... eRefresh=1[/youtube]

Mods please fix that link for me lol.

I was saying that exact quote at least five times today.

Bright side, if you told me we were going to be playing Texas A&M on Sunday, I'd be thrilled about making the championship game!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:43 pm 

He's got his work cut out for him man.

If we can't shoot from three, it's not going to matter that much if we clean up turnovers and fouls and rebounding. There's no margin for error if you can't shoot.

I mean, tonight we turned it over about seven fewer times but we had seven shots blocked. Not really any beter.