It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:16 am 

JCT wrote:
Seems to me like the wide open offensive pace is a bid to get the young kids to buy in, because they're allowed to show off their athleticism. It's one thing to allow that if they make 60% of their shots and don't turn the ball over, but if they're making 42% of their shots and turning it over worse than any Loyola team in a generation, it can't go on.

I don't know what goes on in practice, so it's hard to say what the offensive plan really is, but this is certainly how it looks.

But you're 100% right. We have to get the basics right. Defend without fouling. Rebound. Take care of the ball. Get paint touches.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:17 am 

Agree with everything that's been said.....It's gonna be a long year...and require a lot of patience.

Just want to add one thing....and I realize he is basically a freshman after getting no minutes last year .....but nobody looks more lost than Saint. So I don't understand why he is on the floor more than anyone than Braden. On a team full of guys lost on defense (right now anyway) - he is the most lost. Many of the wide open 3's that Tulsa shot in the second half were his responsibility. He is just too slow to cover ground or to stay in front of his guy. Tripped over his own feet on at least one sequence. He missed the rim entirely on 3 of his first 4 shots - all of which were forced. He seems to be the guy that Drew wants to build around (Big minutes....and Front and center and enlarged on the team poster) - but I don't know......needs to start showing a lot more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:45 pm 

Sloth84 wrote:
Agree with everything that's been said.....It's gonna be a long year...and require a lot of patience.

Just want to add one thing....and I realize he is basically a freshman after getting no minutes last year .....but nobody looks more lost than Saint. So I don't understand why he is on the floor more than anyone than Braden. On a team full of guys lost on defense (right now anyway) - he is the most lost. Many of the wide open 3's that Tulsa shot in the second half were his responsibility. He is just too slow to cover ground or to stay in front of his guy. Tripped over his own feet on at least one sequence. He missed the rim entirely on 3 of his first 4 shots - all of which were forced. He seems to be the guy that Drew wants to build around (Big minutes....and Front and center and enlarged on the team poster) - but I don't know......needs to start showing a lot more.

I'm noticing the same defensive lapses with Quinn, Schweiger, and Edwards. They each have flashes, but more moments where you're slapping your head. They're all shooting horribly, to make matters worse. A little worrisome that Thomas and Schweiger, in their second years with the program, seem as lost as the newcomers.

One or two of them needs to step up, and we'll see whoever does get the most playing time as the season wears on. It's very ugly to watch at the moment though. And does make me wonder why not give Wilson some run... but I guess Drew sees them in practice all week, so he knows better than I would.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:23 pm 

I think the gamble Coach is making on some of these guys is that if we have any chance at all in the conference season they need to be contributors. Maybe tightening the rotation last night turns getting smoked by Tulsa into a close loss but at some point Saint, Schweiger, and Quinn are going to need to not be liabilities on D and turnover machines on O. This is not prior teams with 5-6 established guys and we're trying to figure out who the next contributors are. This team has 4 guys - Braden, Quise, Welch, and Alston. 5-8 are up for grabs. As far as Wilson's lack of PT, who can say for sure. It is surprising to bring a grad transfer in on a team this young and to not see him at all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:42 pm 

jmiller2794 wrote:
I think the gamble Coach is making on some of these guys is that if we have any chance at all in the conference season they need to be contributors. Maybe tightening the rotation last night turns getting smoked by Tulsa into a close loss but at some point Saint, Schweiger, and Quinn are going to need to not be liabilities on D and turnover machines on O. This is not prior teams with 5-6 established guys and we're trying to figure out who the next contributors are. This team has 4 guys - Braden, Quise, Welch, and Alston. 5-8 are up for grabs. As far as Wilson's lack of PT, who can say for sure. It is surprising to bring a grad transfer in on a team this young and to not see him at all.

I wonder if the portal factors in at all? The guys who have already transferred aren't going anywhere, especially seniors Golden and Wilson. So I guess there is some incentive to give plenty of PT to young guys you want to keep around to keep them happy, especially if you expect big things out of them in future seasons.