It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:34 pm 

Exciting game, fun to watch, raucous atmosphere. UIC really pumped the game up...had a tailgate party for the students...had a great band,,did a great version of Chicagos 25 6 or 4 and we won!11 fortunately,,,and if you looked at the stats you would probably say, lucky.
25 turnovers..
..if you're a bakery that is not bad....lots of these came when the ball handler lost his dribble and there was no one to throw it to and like old Fran Tarkenton we threw up some Hail Marys..I think this will be fixed. but we had a lot of players just standing around...

2/14 percentage from 3.
This is now 3 games where we have shot poorly from 3. I thought in the first two games we were shooting in a hurry b4 they got set. Yesterday Norris got off some good 3s as well as Edwards and Schweiger but only 1 went through the net. I think we need to get them in better position. I think it means that our offense is still out of whack
26 Personal Fouls
While some of the fouls looked a little ticky tacky most were committed when the other team got miss matches. We continue to switch on high pick and rolls...leaving our center guarding their point guard and then their point guard just takes it to the hoop. In all 3 of our games the opposing teams point guard has been the leading scorer. I have to think that something is going wrong at the back end of the defensive assignments...cuz your center guarding their point guard seems to be an equation for disaster.

bits and pieces.
We might have seen the coming out party for Schweiger.
We need Kennedy back..he will help offensively and defensively.
We have a problem at center. Welch is smart and has a lot of positives offensively but he got pushed around by the UIC centers and Golden is slow if they are going to continue to have the center switch and guard the point guard. So I guess they will continue to try and mix and match.
Coach Drew has us playing at a fast pace both offensively and defensively. Seems to me we may not have the personnel or experience at this point to be successful at that pace. Totally different from the offensive and defensive pace (fewer double teams) we ran under Coach Moser.
As my buddy keeps telling me." Lots of new people they are just going to need more time to get it together" Hope he is right......but last night was a lot of fun.We have some exciting but not yet fundamentally sound players.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:15 pm 

I agree with most of what's been written. We just have to slow down. If we can play slow, then the can play fast.

And the fouling was an issue last year, too. We had great defenders who covered up for it, but we were consistently putting teams in the bonus early last year, same as now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:53 am 

Schweiger looked great. I love that he went to the rack with that confidence. He's got a great handle. Very fun to watch him get downhill. We need some shooting to keep the lane open for him, Quinn, and Kennedy. If he can hit the 3 reliably himself he's going to be hard to guard.

I thought Welch and Golden both did a good job when switched onto a guard. Maybe against better shooting teams they won't be asked to do that but UIC's #4 was fast (too fast for our guards sometimes!) and I watched both of them stay in front of him and force contested 3s. They're going to have their hands full when conference hits and they're guarding 7 footers but they do a good job of letting us switch everything without complex hedging routines.

Ugly game but it was fun to win. UIC clearly gave us their best shot but couldn't hang for the last 5 minutes or so. Not a good one for Quinn but hopefully he learns from it. We will win plenty of games this year but we're going to drop some against bad teams that we can't put away.

The T against Bryce was the worst technical I've ever seen in person. He gets mugged by their 54, 54 flexes on him after fouling him, and then when Bryce turns around to say something he gets T'd up. Awful. Then 54 plays boyscout to the refs. :roll:

UIC's arena sounded like Gentile when a call didn't go our way.