It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: MOSER/upcoming Year
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:49 pm 

This got me looking at the ACC a little. It's a serious down year, but I noticed Georgia Tech ahead of only Louisville. They are 20-35 (6-27) since we ousted them from the tournament.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:52 pm 

He needs NIL $; right now they have very little in the budget. I’d be stunned if he leaves, but who knows…the landscape of college hoops has shifted so much in the 2 years since he left.

Big12 is one helluva of a rough conference that is for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:05 pm 

OU crushed #2 Alabama. OU beat Florida and Ole Miss. Maybe Porter should go to the SEC?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:03 pm 

Rambler88 wrote:
OU crushed #2 Alabama. OU beat Florida and Ole Miss. Maybe Porter should go to the SEC?

If thats the goal, 2025 will be the latest it will happen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:24 am 

Porter needs to change his recruiting player profile. The question is he flexible enough to do so? Recruiting shooters is good, but in a P6 conference, they have to be bigger, quicker to get shots up and defend. Drew is in the same boat. Our guys are struggling just being in the A10. The player profiles have to change and the next question is are you good enough to to get those guys to come.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:13 am 

There is a non-zero chance that 9 of the 10 Big 12 teams make the tourney. Right now, 8 of the 10 are "in", with Texas Tech as the 9th team that is on the bubble fringe. The only team that is assuredly OUT of the field is Oklahoma.

Would be pretty ironic for Porter to jump to OU in part because of the ample opportunities the B12 (and soon, the SEC) has to put its team in the tourney...only to be single B12 team left out of the tourney.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:47 pm 

m52 wrote:
goramblers2011 wrote:
Watching some OU games this year, it's clear that some of their guys just aren't B12 caliber athletes. Oklahoma State was faster and stronger than OU. I saw a tweet questioning whether Porter and his staff have the 'chutzpah' to push some players out to make room for B12 caliber transfers. I'm not sure that's the way Porter operates. Which kind of goes to what some of us were saying about his coaching style and 'culture building' and overall philosophy translating to big-time college hoops.

I think Porter looks to jump to ND after the season is over. Whether ND wants him is another question.

PM is so far 31-25, and 9-17 in the Big 12 in his two seasons there. The OU fan base is happy about his impending departure, saying he was a "bad fit."

ND would be crazy not to want him; it would make MBB relevant at least for a short bit, and more so if he wins there in a tough ACC.

If you are Notre Dame, you are in the National Spotlight and you have money. If you are going after a Coach, I assume you go after a bigger name than Porter Moser and it's a National search. Why wouldn't ND go after Shaka Smart or someone like that. Shaka is at a Jesuit school like Porter, but he has shown he can win in bigger environments, conferences. He's also younger than Porter and been more successful. Here's a comparison:

Shaka Smart
Born: April 8, 1977
Alma Mater: Kenyon (1999)
Career Record (major schools): 14 Years, 313-161, .660 W-L%
Schools: Virginia Commonwealth (163-56), Texas (109-86) and Marquette (41-19)
Conference Champion: 0 Times (Reg. Seas.), 3 Times (Tourn.)
NCAA Tournament: 9 Years (7-9), 1 Final Four, 0 Championships

VS.

Porter Moser
Born: August 24, 1968
Alma Mater: Creighton (1990)
Career Record (major schools): 19 Years, 325-273, .543 W-L%
Schools: Little Rock (54-34), Illinois State (51-67), Loyola (IL) (188-141) and Oklahoma (32-31)
Conference Champion: 3 Times (Reg. Seas.), 2 Times (Tourn.)
NCAA Tournament: 2 Years (6-2), 1 Final Four, 0 Championships

If I was leading the search...Shaka would be at the top of the list!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:19 pm 

Shaka would be nuts to leave his current situation. He has Marquette rolling and seems to really be enjoying himself, his team and the overall environment up there. Especially to go to yet another school where football is king and basketball is basically an afterthought. But I don't disagree that he will be a great get for ND. Can't hurt to reach out and make him say 'no'.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:25 pm 

Comical on the ND job. Marquette has a top 10 budget for mens basketball year in, year out. ND is usually around 35-40 in annual budget.
Shaka would never leave to be 2nd fiddle behind football and have a significantly smaller budget w very little NIL $ compared to what he has in Milwaukee (which is rumored to be about $1.4m for this seasons team).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:37 pm 

A reliable source told me that the Fordham AD told him that Moser was offered the Notre Dame job but turned it down for unspecified contractual issues.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next