It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: MOSER/upcoming Year
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:37 pm 

Oklahoma's season comes to an end in the first round of the Big 12 tourney. Defeat came at the hands of Oklahoma State, who beat Oklahoma for the third time this year. Only put up 49 points. The seat is definitely a little warm in Norman. They are in the toughest conference in the country (for one more year, at least) and seem pretty far behind. I do wonder sometimes if he regrets making the move.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:23 am 

It was a bad move in the sense that LU was gonna give him big money and he would have had the seniors coming back. Who knows, maybe Krut comes back if Porter is here for another year. He would have gotten us to the dance, maybe do better than Drew did and he could have had time to find a better fit for himself. He should have at least stayed until the seniors who he brought in were done. They made him what he was.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:19 am 

Mudville21 wrote:
It was a bad move in the sense that LU was gonna give him big money and he would have had the seniors coming back. Who knows, maybe Krut comes back if Porter is here for another year. He would have gotten us to the dance, maybe do better than Drew did and he could have had time to find a better fit for himself. He should have at least stayed until the seniors who he brought in were done. They made him what he was.

He had a pretty big money offer on the table. Plus more money for assistants, recruiting, travel, etc. Plus Cubs season tickets in the 1914 club (which are hard to get and very pricey). I wonder if it would have made any difference if he would have known about the upcoming A10 move.

He said he wants to stay at OU, but after this season, I gotta wonder if he doesn't look to make a move to ND or something. Pressure will be immense next year to make the tourney.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:33 am 

Porter Moser got a 6 year deal at $2.8 million per year.
He went to the tournament last year. He has at least two more years - unless he leaves voluntarily or next season is terrible.
Although this season was not good, they did beat some good teams.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:36 am 

Rambler88 wrote:
Porter Moser got a 6 year deal at $2.8 million per year.
He went to the tournament last year. He has at least two more years - unless he leaves voluntarily or next season is terrible.
Although this season was not good, they did beat some good teams.

He went to the NIT last year. Missed out on the dance.

If next season is bad, I think he will very much be on the hot seat (depending on circumstances, recruiting, etc.). They start in the SEC in 2024. It'll be a hard sell to their big money boosters to make the big move to the SEC with a coach who has missed the tourney three straight years.

All that being said, I am rooting for him. And Gordon, Dildy & Custer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:47 pm 

I feel really bad for Porter. He’s a great coach that just made a poor decision going to Oklahoma, instead of holding out for a “basketball school” job, which he deserved.

I would love to know - but he’d probably never say - if Krutwig would have come back for the 2021-2022 season had Porter stayed. My guess is he would have and Loyola would have had the most veteran team in NCAA basketball, coming off the sweet 16, and probably would have picked up one more big time guy from the portal. The 22’ team with Krutwig and 1 more guy could have been a legit title contender. Real possibility we win Atlantis and the program buzz is huge all season. The A-10 move would have been announced and Moser would have had the ability to recruit higher caliber players…. or parlay it into a bigger job at a BASKETBALL school. He would have been EVERY school’s top candidate.

At Oklahoma now, he’s now a .500 record (padded by non-con wins) coach with an uncertain future, needing a quick talent fix to save his tenure, in the toughest conference in basketball, with the worst arena, worst fan support, and a dead-last finish. That’s a rough sell to portal kids he desperately needs to save his job.

You have to think he’s 100% committed right now to getting that Notre Dame job, which is a dream setup for him, if a deal can be worked out between the schools. If Porter can’t get the ND job, i think he’s out at Oklahoma after next year.

From Loyola’s end - I bet we’re going to have a cupcake non-con schedule next year to pad wins for Drew (which I agree with). I would assume we will schedule to try and get at least 8 wins in non con, and hope that we can go 9-9 or 8-10 in A-10 play. 16 to 17 wins and .500 in the conference next year shows improvement and progress worthy of staying the course. I don’t care who is at the helm as long as we are improving the program each year. I hope Drew thrives.

My realistic expectations for us next year are:
1. Finishing in the top 10 in the A-10.
2. Finishing with a winning record

My standard for needing to make a change after next year:
1. Finishing with an overall losing record.
2. Finishing in the bottom 4 in the A-10 (and not making the A-10 tourney semi finals).
If either of those 2 things happen, we are officially trending downward and we’ll need to fix it. Those are the only end-of-year, on-the-court, outcomes where I would lose complete faith in Valentine.

My hope is we go at least .500 next year and we keep building. BUT - if we’re under .500 or an A-10 cellar dweller again next year … and Porter’s not at ND and out of a job… we should do everything to bring him back. Option B - Power 5 assistant.

Really hoping Drew hits portal home runs and we get back on track. I’m going to root hard for him and the team.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:54 pm 

Georgetown has an opening.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:18 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
I feel really bad for Porter. He’s a great coach that just made a poor decision going to Oklahoma, instead of holding out for a “basketball school” job, which he deserved.

I would love to know - but he’d probably never say - if Krutwig would have come back for the 2021-2022 season had Porter stayed. My guess is he would have and Loyola would have had the most veteran team in NCAA basketball, coming off the sweet 16, and probably would have picked up one more big time guy from the portal. The 22’ team with Krutwig and 1 more guy could have been a legit title contender. Real possibility we win Atlantis and the program buzz is huge all season. The A-10 move would have been announced and Moser would have had the ability to recruit higher caliber players…. or parlay it into a bigger job at a BASKETBALL school. He would have been EVERY school’s top candidate.

At Oklahoma now, he’s now a .500 record (padded by non-con wins) coach with an uncertain future, needing a quick talent fix to save his tenure, in the toughest conference in basketball, with the worst arena, worst fan support, and a dead-last finish. That’s a rough sell to portal kids he desperately needs to save his job.

You have to think he’s 100% committed right now to getting that Notre Dame job, which is a dream setup for him, if a deal can be worked out between the schools. If Porter can’t get the ND job, i think he’s out at Oklahoma after next year.

From Loyola’s end - I bet we’re going to have a cupcake non-con schedule next year to pad wins for Drew (which I agree with). I would assume we will schedule to try and get at least 8 wins in non con, and hope that we can go 9-9 or 8-10 in A-10 play. 16 to 17 wins and .500 in the conference next year shows improvement and progress worthy of staying the course. I don’t care who is at the helm as long as we are improving the program each year. I hope Drew thrives.

My realistic expectations for us next year are:
1. Finishing in the top 10 in the A-10.
2. Finishing with a winning record

My standard for needing to make a change after next year:
1. Finishing with an overall losing record.
2. Finishing in the bottom 4 in the A-10 (and not making the A-10 tourney semi finals).
If either of those 2 things happen, we are officially trending downward and we’ll need to fix it. Those are the only end-of-year, on-the-court, outcomes where I would lose complete faith in Valentine.

My hope is we go at least .500 next year and we keep building. BUT - if we’re under .500 or an A-10 cellar dweller again next year … and Porter’s not at ND and out of a job… we should do everything to bring him back. Option B - Power 5 assistant.

Really hoping Drew hits portal home runs and we get back on track. I’m going to root hard for him and the team.

In your scenario, Porter agrees to come back and Coach the Ramblers after the school fires one of his top former assistants, who he’s close with, after 3 years…that included an NCAA birth and two years trying to rebuild in a tougher conference.

Respectfully, and without even considering the money OU would still owe him, I would fully expect Hell to freeze over before that would happen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:01 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:

This has got to be the big WHAT-IF scenario, for a lot of us.....

Last year it was up for grabs.

IMO, the way the 2021 March Madness bubble chaos was playing out and how locked in and perfectly coached they were, we were title contenders right then had we not come up with a dud vs. Oregon St.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:18 am 

RamblerRagas wrote:
ToledoRambler wrote:

This has got to be the big WHAT-IF scenario, for a lot of us.....

Last year it was up for grabs.

IMO, the way the 2021 March Madness bubble chaos was playing out and how locked in and perfectly coached they were, we were title contenders right then had we not come up with a dud vs. Oregon St.

Probably the biggest "what if" in my sports life. Maybe right next to "what if Aundre Jackson didn't get hurt in the F4 game?"

We were the top defensive team in the country in 2021. We finished 16-2 in the MVC, handed multiple MVC teams their worst ever conference losses and won every Arch Madness game by double digits. We dismantled G-Tech and Illinois. We had the 'right' gameplan for Oregon St. but just got ice cold. If we would have returned Moser, Krut & everyone else that actually did come back, there's no doubt that we would have been a top 10 team most of the season and a legit title contender. Hurts to think about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next