It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: MOSER/upcoming Year
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:48 am 

Hey, look I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but Drew Valentine will be here at least 5 years.
He had 11 new players this year. The young players he has recruited are promising. He will get to coach them.
Catholic schools don't fire coaches like other schools. It's not in our DNA.
Look at Ewing, I realize he is Ewing, but his team's were pathetic. He got six years.

Porter is getting paid. He'll be fine. He needs to beat Oklahoma St. to stay there long term.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:52 am 

Rambler88 wrote:
Hey, look I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but Drew Valentine will be here at least 5 years.
He had 11 new players this year. The young players he has recruited are promising. He will get to coach them.
Catholic schools don't fire coaches like other schools. It's not in our DNA.
Look at Ewing, I realize he is Ewing, but his team's were pathetic. He got six years.

Porter is getting paid. He'll be fine. He needs to beat Oklahoma St. to stay there long term.

Agree on the first part. I'm supportive of Drew and agree we need to give him more time. Firing a first-time coach after one bad year is just not a smart way to run a program. Anyone who thinks he should be fired needs to learn a bit more about how college athletics work.

On the second part, I think Porter is in trouble...not this offseason though. Hope he jumps to ND for his own sake.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:08 am 

goramblers2011 wrote:
RamblerRagas wrote:
ToledoRambler wrote:
I would love to know - but he’d probably never say - if Krutwig would have come back for the 2021-2022 season had Porter stayed. My guess is he would have and Loyola would have had the most veteran team in NCAA basketball, coming off the sweet 16, and probably would have picked up one more big time guy from the portal. The 22’ team with Krutwig and 1 more guy could have been a legit title contender. Real possibility we win Atlantis and the program buzz is huge all season. The A-10 move would have been announced and Moser would have had the ability to recruit higher caliber players…. or parlay it into a bigger job at a BASKETBALL school. He would have been EVERY school’s top candidate.

This has got to be the big WHAT-IF scenario, for a lot of us.....

Last year it was up for grabs.

IMO, the way the 2021 March Madness bubble chaos was playing out and how locked in and perfectly coached they were, we were title contenders right then had we not come up with a dud vs. Oregon St.

Probably the biggest "what if" in my sports life. Maybe right next to "what if Aundre Jackson didn't get hurt in the F4 game?"

We were the top defensive team in the country in 2021. We finished 16-2 in the MVC, handed multiple MVC teams their worst ever conference losses and won every Arch Madness game by double digits. We dismantled G-Tech and Illinois. We had the 'right' gameplan for Oregon St. but just got ice cold. If we would have returned Moser, Krut & everyone else that actually did come back, there's no doubt that we would have been a top 10 team most of the season and a legit title contender. Hurts to think about.

Well we would have gotten rolled by Villanova in the title game, but I guess would have been cool to make it even further. But Final Four, and then a graceful exit where we show everyone we were right there with Michigan, was arguably better optics-wise.

Right there with you on 2021-22 though. Will always respect Krut's decision, but he deserved a senior year with fans in the stands.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:49 am 

The thing about Oklahoma, and it’s not a small thing, is that it is a football school. Football isn’t just the fist thing they care about, it’s at least the top three or four things. That is where the money comes from and where most of the focus is. When Lon Kruger stepped down, that was a job I thought Porter would leave for…because of the type of school it is. They have a great tradition, but they’re also generally more patient than a basketball-first Power 5 school. So while the fans may be screaming, I think his seat is not as hot there right now as it would be other places he could’ve went to.