It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:19 am 

On the front page of the Ramblermania.net blog, here's an article on why the move to the A-10 makes sense for Loyola. Facts, figures, data, observations, etc.

http://www.ramblermania.net/stories/loy ... ce-july-1/

Reply below with your thoughts..... agree.... disagree..... befuddled.... perplexed.... outraged.... unsure...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:48 am 

You post a well-reasoned and persuasive analysis of Loyola's decision to move to the A-10, John.
I am not enamored of the shift from a midwestern to an eastern conference but recognize that the advantages outweigh the inconvenience of the increased travel.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:30 am 

TO JC,

This is a forum for basketball. I DO NOT CARE THAT YOU like TRUMP. He is a bad person

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:49 am 

Glad to see the "front page" is open for business again. Thanks for writing, JCT!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:46 am 

Great write up!

One thing in the back of my mind that was triggered again when you discussed the media market is the A10 TV deal. Does anybody have details on that, where games are typically broadcast? I know similar to the MVC, some of the lower tier games in a given week are ESPN+, but wondering where we’ll be able to catch the other games.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:25 pm 

Dansen wrote:
Great write up!

One thing in the back of my mind that was triggered again when you discussed the media market is the A10 TV deal. Does anybody have details on that, where games are typically broadcast? I know similar to the MVC, some of the lower tier games in a given week are ESPN+, but wondering where we’ll be able to catch the other games.

Tacking on to your question, I wonder if the ESPN+ games will also be broadcast on the local NBC Sports Chicago channels?

According to this press release (https://atlantic10.com/news/2021/9/9/a-10-mens-basketball-schedule-highlighted-by-76-national-tv-and-digital-games.aspx), the A10's three national TV channels are ESPN, CBS Sports and NBC Sports.

Post subject: A-10 TV
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:32 pm 

Dansen wrote:
Great write up!

The A-10 has tv media deals with multiple media outlets.

CBS Sports Network
ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU (mostly Friday night conference games)
NBC Sports (used to be on the NBC Sports Network which shut down - now on other NBC properties such as USA Network)
All home games of A-10 members not on a TV feed are typically available via the subscription ESPN+ streaming service

In addition, several A-10 members have deals with local tv outlets for games

The A-10 Tournament Championship game is traditionally in recent years on the main CBS network on Selection Sunday. Most of the earlier rounds games have been carried by either CBS Sports or an NBC property. The opening night play in games last year were streamed on ESPN+.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:57 pm 

I assume we would have heard of the A10 was going to 20 conference games by now. So I assume they will stay at 18. Wish they went to 20. Usually in the near future the A10 announces scheduling pairings (not the schedule).

It was on June 10th last year!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:42 am 

ramblermgr9599 wrote:
I assume we would have heard of the A10 was going to 20 conference games by now. So I assume they will stay at 18. Wish they went to 20. Usually in the near future the A10 announces scheduling pairings (not the schedule).

It was on June 10th last year!

Correct. There has been no announcement of adding more games to the conference schedule. Several league members have been opposed to this when proposed in the past. It is expected that the home and home pairings will for now shrink to just four teams (had been five for several years). Would mean each team would then play the other ten members once with five at home and five on the road.

The A-10 home and home partners are selected using multiple criteria. Geography and tradition are a factor and that is why these match-ups occur every season - VCU-Richmond, LaSalle-SJU, URI-UMass. The league also tries to schedule the perceived to be stronger teams in the league for more games against one another to improve their ratings and increase their NCAA odds.

I would think that the Ramblers will regularly play both St Louis and Dayton most years twice. The other home and home partners will likely always be changing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:55 pm 

Dansen wrote:
Great write up!

I've been told we'll have more info in July, but I don't expect it to be too much different from the MVC.