It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ramblers growing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:45 am 

It looks like time in the weight room has paid off.

Saint Thomas has gained 15 pounds & is now 6-7 215.

Marquise Kennedy gained another 5 pounds & is now 6-1 190.

and

Jacob Hutson grew another inch & is now 6-11 240.

Post subject: Re: Ramblers growing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:19 pm 

Weird, I have to go to the gym to try to stop growing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:12 pm 

Trey might have continued growing past 6’5 too, looking at this picture he’s right up there with Edwards

https://www.instagram.com/p/CecJ-UdrqoY ... RhNmQxMjQ=

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:21 am 

It is fun to try to read the tea leaves from the instagram posts on the Loyola basketball official instagram, but I'm curious what everyone thinks the lineups will look like come preseason. Obviously it's impossible to read into one second practice clips on instagram, but it's all we have in the offseason! I think Norris, Kennedy, Golden are the most likely to be locked in starters, leaving 2 wing/PF spots open. I think it seems pretty obvious that Valentine has targeted long, athletic, hybrid types (Trey Lewis, Jayden Dawson, Sheldon Edwards, Jeameril Wilson, Jalen Quinn). They are all guys who can guard multiple positions on D and stretch defenses out on offense, hopefully 35%+ from the 3 point line. I think whoever can give the best defensive effort has the best chance of that crew for a lot of playing time. Phil Alston is probably the most intriguing guy to me, as I think he could really be the wildcard on this team. If he can even shoot 33% from 3 point range, he is going to be VERY difficult to guard. My one worry for a lineup with Kennedy and Alston is the lack of 3 point shooting on the floor- if defenses are ok with letting multiple guys shoot from deep and they are both sub 30%, the lane is going to be pretty clogged for those 2 guys who do their damage at the rim. Having Golden be competent from 3 definitely helps with the spacing.

I think it's very likely Saint Thomas starts. He has the potential to be a superstar on the offensive end. I really don't take his shooting stats from last year into account as its very hard to shoot at a good clip when you come in cold off the bench for 5-6 min a game. I think he starts and takes a big step forward this year.

So in my mind, the most likely opening day lineup would be Norris, Kennedy, Thomas, Alston, Golden. Then we have a ton of options off the bench for the wing spot- all the guys listed above plus Ben Schweiger who I have no real grasp on. Again, I think defensive competence will initially dictate substitutions as Valentine searches for the best lineups combos. We obviously won't be going 12 deep every game, so a few of those guys will separate themselves, but I really don't know who. Of the freshmen, I think Trey Lewis has a super high ceiling.

I think Quinn will be minutes behind Norris and Hutson behind Golden. Welch may get some time behind Alston, especially against teams that have a little bulk in the frontcourt. But I am most excited to see how the glut of seemingly competent and talented wing guys we have mesh. I think the early part of the season will be spent trying to find the best lineups and finding chemistry between lineups, but by the time the conference games roll around, we will probably be playing 8-9 guys max and I absolutely cannot wait to see how the minutes get distributed out!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:54 pm 

If it’s anything like last year, I don’t think Drew will go much further than 9 deep on a consistent basis. With that in mind I think those 8-9 will be:

Norris
Kennedy
Thomas
Alston
Wilson
Edwards
Golden
Hutson
Welch

Norris will play 30+ minutes every game, so Quinn may get spot minutes but more likely I think Kennedy/Edwards soak up the point guard minutes on the rare occasion he does sit. Center rotation I think will look very similar as last year with Golden taking Knight’s place. I think Edwards takes the Schweiger role as a bench scorer (with better defense). Between Wilson, Thomas, and Alston, 2 of those 3 will start on the wings and the other will get solid minutes (ala Tate Hall last year). It’ll be interesting. Love the potential of all the freshmen + Schweiger, I just don’t see how any of them get serious minutes this year. Basically I see starters as

Norris
Kennedy
2 of wilson/Thomas/Alston
Golden

With Edwards, the remaining wing who doesn’t start, Hutson, and Welch as the main bench guys

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:49 am 

Good and interesting question. Last year we saw some of the transition from Coach Moser to Coach Valentine. I thought part of that was players were more free on offense as opposed to Coach Mosers one more pass offense. I think Norris and Kennedy are givens along with Golden. My gut tells me that we will be going with experience which means Edwards and then a toss up between Wilson and ALston. Saint Thomas will have a bench role again this year. I agree that subbing at the center position will depend on the situation. Really hoping that Jacob Hutson will have improved over the off season.Which of the youngsters will get some playing time off the bench will depend who performs and learns the system leading up to the season.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:20 am 

I think my biggest question mark for the team, similar to last year is who takes the ball when the offense breaks down. Besides Kennedy, I don't think we have a super obvious candidate for another guy who can iso and create a good shot on his own when the shot clock is running down. Hopefully we have one or two guys who step up in that regard. With so many new guys (and seemingly so many talented new guys), it's exciting to think about the possibilities with this team. I'm sure someone will pleasantly surprise us

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:26 am 

Trey Lewis certainly showed that he could break down a defense and create shots but really curious to see if any of the freshman get playing time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:53 am 

Ramblers41 wrote:
I think my biggest question mark for the team, similar to last year is who takes the ball when the offense breaks down. Besides Kennedy, I don't think we have a super obvious candidate for another guy who can iso and create a good shot on his own when the shot clock is running down. Hopefully we have one or two guys who step up in that regard. With so many new guys (and seemingly so many talented new guys), it's exciting to think about the possibilities with this team. I'm sure someone will pleasantly surprise us

I think Saint has the potential to drive to the basket and finish well, a la Marques Townes. The fact that he's got 3 inches in height, a couple inches in wingspan, and about 10-12 pounds extra is a plus. Saint seems more shy to drive to the basket for fear of fouling more than contact, which is the way you want it. He's got a good amount of confidence and aggressiveness, so let's see him learn to drive and finish or dish.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:42 am 

Ramblers41 wrote:

I also think Edwards has that ability. Maybe I just still have some lingering nightmares about how he killed us twice last year, but I remember him hitting some very tough iso shots against us.