It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:10 pm 

Just posted a new article on the front page of the Ramblermania.net site.... (**it's about frickin' time, JCT!!**)

2013-2022: Looking Back on Loyola's Time in the Missouri Valley Conference

Would love to see what everyone thinks about the MVC years-- best moment, worst moment, fun experiences, best road trip, etc. Share your MVC memories here...

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:59 pm 

Best moments, a tie between the Arch Madness Tournament championship in 2018, and the win over Illinois in 2021.
Worst moment, the first round Arch Madness loss to Valpo in 2020.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:31 am 

how bout an up and downer?....got to attend the last regular season game against Bradley at Bradley.(19/20 season).always special. my dad was part of the group that got the Civic Center built and my brother always attended...For this game we were right behind the bench...plus I grew up a Bradley fan as a kid, following Joe Allen. Carver Center was packed and Bradley fans in their usual mood. Great game,intense, physical, loud...came down to a last second missed shot by Bradley.......week or so later drove down to St.Louis and yep....we got dunked by Valpo
Overall I loved the Valley experience,,, the every game blood baths of the regular season. and chatting with other teams fans at Arch Madness....gonna miss it.
I believe this Sunday at the Outdoor Track Championships will be our last school competition in the Valley...

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:42 am 

When we joined the MVC, Bradley fans were some of the loudest to chirp about how we weren’t good enough for the conference. Because of that, Milton Doyle’s shot to beat Bradley in our first MVC tournament game will always stand out.

A low point for me was sitting at a games at Gentile where opposing fans outnumbered Loyola fans. A specific game against Illinois State in either 2016 or 2017 (I think) sticks in my memory. Oh how times have changed since then.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:39 pm 

A lot of the highs/best moments have been mentioned already. I’ll add a couple more under the profile moments that I’m fond of

- 28 point drubbing of Indiana State at 2015 Arch Madness (my first Arch Madness game)
- Beating Creighton at home in 2015 (nice to beat the team we replaced at home)
- Beating SDSU in the MWC/MVC matchup in 2016 (Aundre Jackson going 11-12)
- Florida 2017 (obviously)

Some lows:

- Boise State 2017 (what a contrast from Florida a month later)
- @ Missouri State in 2019 losing by 35
- Missouri state home in 2022, ending the 30 game home winning streak
- losing to U-Indy in 2019

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:21 pm 

Dansen wrote:
Boise State 2017 (what a contrast from Florida a month later)

Even crazier: that wasn’t a month later, it was roughly a week later. I think the game right after Boise was UIC, who we absolutely destroyed, and then at Florida a few days after UIC.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:03 am 

01grad wrote:
Dansen wrote:
Boise State 2017 (what a contrast from Florida a month later)

Even crazier: that wasn’t a month later, it was roughly a week later. I think the game right after Boise was UIC, who we absolutely destroyed, and then at Florida a few days after UIC.

And then to add to the craziness, we lost 3 of the next 4, including getting smoked by 17 @UW-Milwaukee and then dropping the MVC opener @MoSt and the third MVC game vs Indiana State. Big asterisk for the Milwaukee game was that Custer & Richardson were both out. But the talent we had should have been more than enough to beat them. I do miss those road trips up north though!

Agree with a lot of the lows/highs already mentioned. Losing to Furman on a last second dunk in 2018 sucked--first loss of the season after the F4 run. The Arch Madness losses to Bradley and Valpo the two years after the F4 run also sucked.

But so many great highs. Handing multiple teams their biggest ever MVC losses. Winning Arch Madness 3 times in 5 years. The Larry Bird trophies. The buzzer beater in our first Arch Madness game over one of the fanbases that looked down on us the most.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:24 am 

I did forget one low, probably because I’ve tried to block it from my memory since it happened: the last 10 minutes of the Michigan game.

And now that I’m having this flashback, I’m going to shut my office door and cry a little.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:32 am 

01grad wrote:
When we joined the MVC, Bradley fans were some of the loudest to chirp about how we weren’t good enough for the conference. Because of that, Milton Doyle’s shot to beat Bradley in our first MVC tournament game will always stand out.

A low point for me was sitting at a games at Gentile where opposing fans outnumbered Loyola fans. A specific game against Illinois State in either 2016 or 2017 (I think) sticks in my memory. Oh how times have changed since then.

There was a time in either the late '80s or early '90s when the Valley kicked our tires or more likely we approached them. Supposedly Bradley was the most outspoken about us NOT joining at the time. Ultimately, the MVC realized Loyola did not have the facilities nor the will to upgrade its facilities and compete with Valley schools' athletic budgets. Sadly, when we heard this, we knew they were right. In the end, it appears we joined the Valley at the right time, a time when the University was willing to back athletics and jump into a better conference, and we caught lightning in a bottle with Porter Moser who was the absolute right fit for the program at that point in time. I hope the A-10 move works out just as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:12 pm 

01grad wrote:
...A low point for me was sitting at a games at Gentile where opposing fans outnumbered Loyola fans. A specific game against Illinois State in either 2016 or 2017 (I think) sticks in my memory. Oh how times have changed since then.

That ISU game was a low point for me too. But it was the impetus to begin discussion of reconfiguring seating in the arena which has made a huge difference.

The Valley highs and the lows are all woven together. A high point was our first MVC victory, an 89-57 beautifully executed beat down of Missouri State (11-2) at Gentile in 2014. Before that I didn't really know if we could compete in the Valley, although from there we won only three more conference games.

A little more than a year later we had a 24-win season and a CBI championship. Two years after that the 2016-17 season had started 10-2 including a near miss at North Carolina State, but ended with maybe the lowest low for me, looking awful losing to a mediocre SIU for the third time that year in the first round Arch Madness with Milton due to graduate. Coming home on the longest train ride of my life, I recall one of our most stalwart fans quoting Larry Farmer to me, "It's never going to happen at Loyola."

A little more than a year later, it really did happen.