It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:41 pm 

Scream wrote:
Two years after that the 2016-17 season had started 10-2 including a near miss at North Carolina State, but ended with maybe the lowest low for me, looking awful losing to a mediocre SIU for the third time that year in the first round Arch Madness with Milton due to graduate. Coming home on the longest train ride of my life, I recall one of our most stalwart fans quoting Larry Farmer to me, "It's never going to happen at Loyola."

A little more than a year later, it really did happen.

That was such a depressing game. Just felt hopeless. Milt went to the line late in the game when it was close, and I remember thinking, "He's going to miss both." Sure enough, he did. But on the other hand, I hit a three-pointer at halftime to win a Casey's gift card. So that was a positive.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:31 pm 

Oops, sorry; forgot to include the 3-point shot among my MVC high points.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:44 am 

Well I think that officially wraps it up....our last MVC competition, the outdoor Track Championships...and off we go....gonna miss the Valley...I feel like we were the villian in a Marvels movie...for what ever reason.but made for some great competition and unlike the Marvels movies the villian persevered !!!
good by Bradley, good by Drake
good by MSU...what a fake.
Good by Southern good by Trees
good by UNI could always hit the threes
Good by Birds good by Beacons
good by Aces...were going to the freakin
A-10

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:48 am 

ADDENDUM

UNI ...could alway hit the 3s......Except this year in Semis when we held them to 1 field goal in 15 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:35 pm 

I'm going to stick exclusively to Valley games/experience and try to add ones that people haven't necessarily mentioned already.

Worst:
Never beating Wichita. Even though we weren't expected to win the game, the Arch Madness game in 2016 hurt a little. We were in it and we winning late until Ron Baker went Ron Baker on us.

Our home game against Illinois State in 2015. I just remember Montel James going 2-11 from the free throw line and missing a lot late. We lost by 3. To his credit he really worked on his free throws and got a lot better after that (more on that later)

Arch Madness Semi-Finals against Bradley in 2019. Felt like we were the better team, but the refs let Bradley play overly physical. I think it was their fewest fouls of that season and probably their fewest fouls in a game in a long time.

Best:
2018 Championship was just all happiness, but 2022 was more satisfying. After hearing the first couple years how we were a terrible choice, this past year we got crap for thinking we were "too good" for the Valley, and everyone was against us. To win the tournament when it was us vs. everyone else was so satisfying

2016 Home game against Indiana State. 2OT win where Montel James was 18-20 from the line. I remember the crowd and students getting on Brandon Murphy missed a free throw and he was shook

2015 Arch Madness game against Indiana State. Just a perfect game, and I think it's still the Arch Madness record for biggest blow out. That trip as a student was fun too! They planned things better for us than the year before, and we even got a free night at the Hilton at Union Station after the team advanced to the semis.

In 2018, my brother and I stayed in the Indiana State hotel for Arch Madness. They lost to Illinois State in the semifinal. On the morning of the final, we saw Greg Lansing getting something from the vending machine on our floor. We didn't want to bother him so we didn't say anything, but he actually just started talking to us, wishing us luck, saying he was rooting for Loyola, but obviously wished he was playing in the game. It was a cool moment, and I always rooted for him and Indiana State after that. I was honestly sad when he was fired.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:41 pm 

High: Beating Tennessee in the NCAA Tournament. I lived in TN for 5 years-- it's hard to find a more obnoxious fanbase than 'Vol Nation. Even better, attending the game in Dallas-- it was clear we had as many or more fans than UT had. This is a school renowned for it's traveling fans. In typical UT arrogance, their fanbase figured this would be a walkover and they'd save their money for the next week's Th/Sat session. Too bad 'Vol Nation-- you got Kuster'ed.

Low: Hard to say, since I lived out of the country even before the time LUC joined the Valley until early 2018 (somewhere along the way LU picked up the C). It was difficult to follow the Ramblers when I was out of the country so the most memorable game after my personal dark ages was that UWM loss when we had such a good team. I have a personal history with that school which made it all that much more difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:45 am 

Cruyff wrote:
High: Beating Tennessee in the NCAA Tournament. I lived in TN for 5 years-- it's hard to find a more obnoxious fanbase than 'Vol Nation. Even better, attending the game in Dallas-- it was clear we had as many or more fans than UT had. This is a school renowned for it's traveling fans. In typical UT arrogance, their fanbase figured this would be a walkover and they'd save their money for the next week's Th/Sat session. Too bad 'Vol Nation-- you got Kuster'ed.

Low: Hard to say, since I lived out of the country even before the time LUC joined the Valley until early 2018 (somewhere along the way LU picked up the C). It was difficult to follow the Ramblers when I was out of the country so the most memorable game after my personal dark ages was that UWM loss when we had such a good team. I have a personal history with that school which made it all that much more difficult.

Ga. Tech fan base was obnoxious! LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:13 am 

The Valley is beneath you now. Welcome to the Atlantic 10!