It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:00 am 

Not to be pedantic, but it should be "SLU is farther west." ;)

https://www.dictionary.com/e/farther-vs-further/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:35 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
Not to be pedantic, but it should be "SLU is farther west." ;)

https://www.dictionary.com/e/farther-vs-further/

You're so pedantic.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:29 pm 

AMDG wrote:
I'm interested to see if being the westernmost team in an eastern conference is going to be a benefit or detriment in more national recruiting.

So far, it hasn't proven to be so, with all four transfers either having played in the midwest or being from chicago.

I'd like to see that first, big east coast recruit that we get when competing with other east coast schools, kind of like Dallas Comegys with De Paul

I can't see it being a detriment at all. I would look at it more that we are at our own level in the midwest with SLU and Dayton...clearly head and shoulders above any mid-majors in the region and should have a competitive sell vs. bottom-feeder power conference teams like DePaul and NW. We were already recruiting MI well bc of Drew's ties. The only area this might hurt us in is KC and Omaha, but those aren't exactly basketball hotbeds.

Also, looking at SLU's roster, being in the A10 doesn't seem to be hurting them at all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:32 pm 

Mertz2003 wrote:
AMDG wrote:
I'm interested to see if being the westernmost team in an eastern conference is going to be a benefit or detriment in more national recruiting.

So far, it hasn't proven to be so, with all four transfers either having played in the midwest or being from chicago.

I'd like to see that first, big east coast recruit that we get when competing with other east coast schools, kind of like Dallas Comegys with De Paul

I can't see it being a detriment at all. I would look at it more that we are at our own level in the midwest with SLU and Dayton...clearly head and shoulders above any mid-majors in the region and should have a competitive sell vs. bottom-feeder power conference teams like DePaul and NW. We were already recruiting MI well bc of Drew's ties. The only area this might hurt us in is KC and Omaha, but those aren't exactly basketball hotbeds.

Also, looking at SLU's roster, being in the A10 doesn't seem to be hurting them at all.

Doesn't seem to hurt Creighton or Marquette.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:23 am 

Antonio Reeves to Kentucky. Hopefully for his sake he does not have a similar experience as Yesufu had on Kansas' bench this year. Another major talent gone from the MVC. Meanwhile, the A10 is loading up on talent and quality coaches; it may be tough for us to even crack the top 4 in the conference.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:51 am 

m52 wrote:
Antonio Reeves to Kentucky. Hopefully for his sake he does not have a similar experience as Yesufu had on Kansas' bench this year. Another major talent gone from the MVC. Meanwhile, the A10 is loading up on talent and quality coaches; it may be tough for us to even crack the top 4 in the conference.

In a good year for the A10, top 4 in the conference could get you an NCAA bid, with 5 being on the bubble. That’s the huge difference between the A10 and the MVC.

Last edited by 01grad on Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:54 am 

It's kind of funny that people here want us to recruit team-first guys who value winning and are willing to sit on the bench for a year, then bring up Yesufu who went to Kansas and won a national championship like it'sa bad thing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:59 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
It's kind of funny that people here want us to recruit team-first guys who value winning and are willing to sit on the bench for a year, then bring up Yesufu who went to Kansas and won a national championship like it'sa bad thing.

He also still has a few years of eligibility left, if I recall. We won’t know if it was actually a bad move until his college career is over.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:01 am 

ahunte1 wrote:

Good point. We don't know if it was a bad thing for him; it depends what his expectations were in transferring to a top P5 program.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:42 am 

Interesting developments with the NIL. Isaiah Wong a guard for Miami threatens to transfer if his NIL money isn’t increased

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-sports/2022/04/130646/miami-guard-isaiah-wong-demands-better-nil-deal-or-hell-transfer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next