It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:56 pm 

Let's have some fun.

I've started a Ramblermania bracket contest on the ESPN Men's Tournament Challenge page... The group is Ramblermania, and it's open to all (e.g. anyone who reads this message-- you don't have to be a member of Ramblermania, but it's a good idea). You get to create three brackets per person.

The winner gets their choice of a framed Loyola men's basketball memorabilia piece valued at approximately $125, or a $50 gift card. Second place will get an actual set of very cheap steak knives via Amazon valued at approximately $20.

Here's the link to the group: https://fantasy.espn.com/tournament-cha ... ID=4787718

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:18 pm 

Great idea JCT, thanks for setting this up for some fun and all you do for the board. Looking forward to those steak knives!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:01 pm 

Bump.

Let's get some more folks involved...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:53 pm 

Hey, everybody, we have a winner and a 2nd place finisher. Medejer won the contest by predicting Kansas to win the National Championship and by earning 1110 points along the way. If Medejer will contact me at e.fivesales@gmail.com I will get your information and send you your choice of a piece of Rambler collectible memorabilia worth approx. $120 or so OR a $50 Visa gift card.

A regular member of the board, bmh_twosix, came in 2nd, and wins the set of steak knives. Yes, it's a real prize. bmh_twosix also picked Kansas, but fell behind on points in the Elite Eight round. I will contact you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:03 pm 

JCT:
You should have mentioned that the reference to the steak knives was from the classic movie, GlenGary, GlenRoss starring Al Pacino, Jake Lemon, Kevin Spacey, Alex Baldwin (actually he played a real prick but it was easy as he was just being himself), Allan Arkin. The company sold real estate parcels in Arizona but the office was in Chicago near the elevated downtown and it rained the whole time.
Baldwin comes in and announces the watch he has on is worth more than anyone's year salary. He really insults everyone.
There was a contest. First prize was a new Cadillac, second prize "a set of steak knives" and third prize "you get to keep your job."
Pacino is going to win the contest until his "boss" Kevin Spacey ruins the sale Pacino needs by saying something stupid about the deposit check not being deposited downtown and the customer wants it back. Pacino's rant to Spacey's face is a classic.
One of the best movies ever.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:08 pm 

David Mamet is responsible for choosing all the prizes on Ramblermania. Next year it's a buffalo nickel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:00 pm 

JCT wrote:
David Mamet is responsible for choosing all the prizes on Ramblermania. Next year it's a buffalo nickel.

Pretty sure third prize was "You're fired" but my memory fails me even when it comes to one of the greatest screenplays ever written.

If anyone knows what Grofaz is (I may have fucked up the spelling) you get bonus points.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:21 pm 

NuncEstBibendum wrote:
JCT wrote:

Pretty sure third prize was "You're fired" but my memory fails me even when it comes to one of the greatest screenplays ever written.

If anyone knows what Grofaz is (I may have fucked up the spelling) you get bonus points.

Yes, third prize was you're fired. You stumped me on Grofaz.

By the way, I got third place in the bracket contest, so if someone else is doing the preview next year, you'll know what happened.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:44 pm 

JCT wrote:
NuncEstBibendum wrote:
JCT wrote:

Yes, third prize was you're fired. You stumped me on Grofaz.

By the way, I got third place in the bracket contest, so if someone else is doing the preview next year, you'll know what happened.

Grofaz was from Homicide so I digressed a bit there. But powerful nonetheless. And a highly recommended film for any Mamet fan.

Last edited by NuncEstBibendum on Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:44 am 

Third prize was not "you're fired!". It was "you get to keep your job!" Baldwin says it.