Illinois State 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Indiana State 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Missouri State 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
UNI 24%  24%  [ 17 ]
Southern Illinois 17%  17%  [ 12 ]
Valpo 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 70
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:54 am 

This has been discussed here and there over a few topics. Thought it would be nice to have a central place to talk about and get a better gauge of what the overall consensus for us fans might be.

Left UIC off since I think most would want to play them even if they weren't a Valley team, and without a history with Murray State or Belmont it didn't feel right to include them. You can select however many of the 9 current members you want.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:18 am 

SIU is the most logical regular opponent because of the affection with coaches. They will always want a chance to play in Chicago for recruiting.

UIC should be on the schedule every year for obvious reasons. I'd really love the City to set up a Chicago college basketball jamboree type day with three games on one day featuring Loyola, Depaul, UIC, Northwestern, Chicago State and maybe someone like NIU.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:35 am 

AMDG wrote:
SIU is the most logical regular opponent because of the affection with coaches. They will always want a chance to play in Chicago for recruiting.

UIC should be on the schedule every year for obvious reasons. I'd really love the City to set up a Chicago college basketball jamboree type day with three games on one day featuring Loyola, Depaul, UIC, Northwestern, Chicago State and maybe someone like NIU.

Absolutely agree with this. Chicago should be doing a Big 5 type tournament that Philly does every year with Penn, Nova, St. Joes, Temple, and La Salle. Chicago easily could do a Loyola, DePaul, Northwestern, UIC, Chicago St/NIU or even Notre Dame every year, it’s such a missed opportunity to get the city excited and behind college hoops.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:45 am 

I don't think there should be any special attention given to MVC. However, the A10 results in a lot of travel so I'd like to limit the miles in the off season.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:12 pm 

Based on my anecdotal interactions with fans at Arch Madness this year, and the almost unanimous hatred for Loyola on other teams' fan boards, it is not likely fans of MVC schools want to play us.

And come to think of it, Loyola didn't really schedule too many games with its former Horizon League teams, except for UIC.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:19 pm 

Its funny. The dummies that go onto social media have not been cool, but my experience talking to fans at Arch this year were actually pretty good. Most were polite and after we pasted NIU, they knew we were going win. Got a lot of compliments on how well we were playing. The older fans who traveled to Arch and stayed even their school was eliminated, they had no beef with us and wished we would have stayed.

So, sometimes we all fall into the trap that a few loud mouths represent the entire fan bas or MVC when they do not.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:50 pm 

I heard way to much chirping about Loyola's "rough" and "mugging" style of play that the refs were allowing us to get away with.

The more knowledgeable Valley fans want us to do well in the NCAA because it means more $ for the conference and its schools; but that opinion was dwarfed by feelings of "nice to see you go if you think you're better than us."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:51 pm 

m52 wrote:
I heard way to much chirping about Loyola's "rough" and "mugging" style of play that the refs were allowing us to get away with.

The more knowledgeable Valley fans want us to do well in the NCAA because it means more $ for the conference and its schools; but that opinion was dwarfed by feelings of "nice to see you go if you think you're better than us."

From my POV, we are below average in the Valley vis-a-vis physicality and extracurricular, off-the-ball bumping and elbowing. Didn't see any Drake players with a bruise over their eye like Lucas Williamson, or a long scratch along their upper right arm like Norris got. Drake, Bradley, and Missouri State are all way more physical and hard-fouling than we are.

And as for the refs "allowing us to get away" with physical play, it also works the opposite way.... How is it that we average 15 foul calls for 20+ games with a variety of refs from different leagues, but against Drake, Bradley, UNI, and Missouri State ONLY we got called for an average of almost 22 fouls and in the regular season championship game 32 fouls (4 fouls more than we'd ever been called for in any game as a member of the MVC) leading to 42(!!!) free throw attempts by the league's leading free throw percentage team?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:01 pm 

The Valley was extremely physical and defense oriented long before we joined, and I don’t see that changing. The SIU teams with Mullins weren’t nicknamed “Floorburn U” for nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:08 am 

I wouldn't prioritize the MVC any more than Moser is prioritizing playing Loyola