It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:43 pm 

For the most part the rosters of th A-10 are players from the East. Dont know if you consider Ohio the east but there is a considerable Ohio presence on some squads..Duquesne and St. Louis have a good number of Midwest kids.....What is unusaul is that there a lot of foreign players...2 schools, including #1 Davidson have 6 foreign players...but total 7 have 3 or more foreign players.
I am curious to see how being in the A-10 is going to change our recruiting....I would love to see us take 5 Chicago kids and dominate!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:43 pm 

Dayton is super talented. It's no surprise they beat Kansas and Miami this year with the talent they have. Their youth has shown though in some BAD losses (including three very early season home losses). If they can keep that roster in tact, they'll be big time favorites in the A10.

Plus they have a huge, loyal Chicago alumni base. They'll be all over Gentile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:04 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
For the most part the rosters of th A-10 are players from the East. Dont know if you consider Ohio the east but there is a considerable Ohio presence on some squads..Duquesne and St. Louis have a good number of Midwest kids.....What is unusaul is that there a lot of foreign players...2 schools, including #1 Davidson have 6 foreign players...but total 7 have 3 or more foreign players.
I am curious to see how being in the A-10 is going to change our recruiting....I would love to see us take 5 Chicago kids and dominate!

I think we should definitely expand our recruiting footprint East and internationally. Chicago is an easy place to fly to for international kids, and LUC is a great school. We'll always get the 1-2 local guys that are a good fit, but let's replace our Omaha and Kansas City pipelines with East Coast and Europe.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:19 am 

With the tourney bid locked up, can’t help but think what a boon this is for our program while moving to the A10. Very few teams make back to back NCAAs; think currently the only squads to make consecutive tournament appearances are blue blood programs and high majors: Kansas (31 consecutive), Mich St (23), Gonzaga (21), North Carolina (10), Villanova (8), Virginia (7), Purdue (6), Michigan (5), and the one outlier is Iona (5). While we aren’t at a crazy consecutive streak, it just goes to show how hard it is to make the tournament multiple times with the same classes, it’s an accomplishment in which the team should revel.

It’s a big deal make consecutive tournaments back to back as a program, we will be carrying great momentum to the A10 next year as a team that can compete and make the tournament. Additionally, this can only raise our profile recruiting more. If ever there was a time to seal the deal with a prospect like Klintman it is now, we can point to our history and show that 4/5 years we were in a post season tournament (NCAA/NIT), which few programs can say. I’d also expect to see us get more looks at high level transfers as well; this whole recent run has been fueled with good recruiting and transfers. With the success we’ve had, why wouldnt some guys at power 5s that aren’t playing as much not look at Loyola.

The future is bright Ramblers!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:13 am 

Mertz2003 wrote:
natetheskate wrote:

I think we should definitely expand our recruiting footprint East and internationally. Chicago is an easy place to fly to for international kids, and LUC is a great school. We'll always get the 1-2 local guys that are a good fit, but let's replace our Omaha and Kansas City pipelines with East Coast and Europe.

Defensively, we have to lock down Chicago so that we aren't losing players to other A10 teams. It's fine if players are going to bigger conferences and programs but Chicago has to be ours in conference.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:12 pm 

AMDG wrote:
Mertz2003 wrote:
natetheskate wrote:

Defensively, we have to lock down Chicago so that we aren't losing players to other A10 teams. It's fine if players are going to bigger conferences and programs but Chicago has to be ours in conference.

Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about that, although Dayton has a history of getting Chicago players. Also, paradoxically I think broadening your recruiting base in order to get the best players actually ends up making you more attractive to local kids, because the team is better. If you look at how Illinois has been building, outside of Ayo, they have built the program around recruiting from all over, which in turn is now making the top prospects want to stay home because Illinois is now considered a top program. Not a perfect parallel, but you never want to be over-reliant on local recruiting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:51 pm 

Lets see — a final four, a sweet 16, NIT and now back to the dance. And this is the time to change recruiting tactics?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:50 pm 

For those worried that the A-10 tournament wouldn't be as exciting as Arch Madness...check out the quarterfinals on USA Network. At least the lower bowl is packed in an NBA arena (can't tell if there's anyone in the upper deck), and the crowd is pretty into it. And this is in DC...it is in Brooklyn the next two years, which is the best NBA arena I've been to. I'm excited to spend the weekend in NYC next year!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:51 pm 

Another note is that the money we earn in the tournament this year will stay with the Valley. I would assume we will be sharing the A-10 money, so we should be rooting for more A-10 teams in the tourney and hope they advance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:57 pm 

Mertz2003 wrote:
For those worried that the A-10 tournament wouldn't be as exciting as Arch Madness...check out the quarterfinals on USA Network. At least the lower bowl is packed in an NBA arena (can't tell if there's anyone in the upper deck), and the crowd is pretty into it. And this is in DC...it is in Brooklyn the next two years, which is the best NBA arena I've been to. I'm excited to spend the weekend in NYC next year!

Not sure what game you're watching, but it's far from packed for SLU/St. Bona.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next