It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:40 pm 

I thought I was a sane person, but now beginning to wonder?
I can’t seem to get over yesterdays game, or the Drake loss at home. Am I the only one? Was I delusional to see a higher ceiling for this team? Certainly, early on, without Krut, (I’m calling him Krut like we’re personal friends but have never spoken with him), I had concerns but became a true believer as the early season carried on. I now have an irrational dislike for Garrett Sturtz, who I also have never met, and same with AJ Green. Green should be given kudos for overcoming broken bones and coming back better! I just can’t give it out. My quality of life is now tied to the success of these and future Ramblers… Having witnessed the Illinois game in Indy, I became hooked for this program and its people.
Seeing a sea of BEAT Loyola shirts in tv yesterday was tough to comprehend. Kind like, where did all those kids go wrong? Worse, I couldn’t see they’re no different than our fans.
So on a decent Sunday at home I’m distracted from how good my life really is, and how grateful I am for everything and everyone good in my life and already worried about Arch madness, how much we don’t like Bradley, or Drake, or whoever comes along as well as life in the A10…
Ok, I’ve said my piece and feel better. Time for lunch and a good walk with my dog who has sat with me through this entire stretch.
Thanks for listening.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:46 pm 

Classic case of Ramblermania right there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:02 pm 

I always say enjoy the ride. Having meaningful games this time of year and being on the bubble was a dream a decade ago. 3 weeks from today our season will likely be over so let’s enjoy this special team.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:17 pm 

In a similar boat, I really thought how we played at the beginning of the season should result in winning the conference. Still excited for STL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:41 pm 

enjoy the ride,, the little things,,,kids developing, upsets , hustle, etc....and championships and NCAA bids are cheeries on top. We have come a long way baby....we are now rightfully upset when we DONT get a bid or win the Conference....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:00 pm 

The “beat Loyola” t shirts are a compliment

It’s fun to have a passion. Don’t look to dampen it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:10 pm 

I think this season should provide some perspective on how utterly insane it is that we went to a final four and sweet 16 (and beat Illinois) and how incredible of a player Krut was for us. He was a generational player at the mid-major level. Don't forget what a massive accomplishment it is for a mid-major team to even make the tournament, let alone to win multiple games there. For more perspective, Illinois probably has 5x the budget of Loyola and tons of built-in advantages, and they haven't made a Sweet 16 since 2005.

In order to maximize your enjoyment, I'd recommend keeping expectations in-line with the realities of college basketball. The magical run of 2018-2021 should be appreciated as such and not be made the expectation.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:04 pm 

In a similar boat. I’m feeling a lot like how I felt the year after the final four run. Sure we lost some guys, but we still had Custer, Krut, Townes etc so I had really high hopes. That year we went 20-14 and lost our first game in the NIT. I think it’s very easy to get super high after a successful season and always want more. Last year was a sweet 16 run and we returned all but one guy (albeit one of the best Ramblers ever), so naturally we expected a lot this year. Plus with the recent success in the MVC and jump to the A10, I feel like we all sort of looked past the MVC a bit and all expected only a couple MVC losses. With the recent success, it feels like it’s “go on a run in March Madness or bust,” but here’s an insane stat: of all teams in division 1 basketball, there are only 7 that have a current streak of over 5 years in a row making the tournament. Sustained success in NCAA basketball is almost impossible, especially at a school like Loyola. We still have a lot to go this season so let’s see what we can do, but we have to appreciate what’s going on now

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:43 pm 

The word "fan" comes from "fanatic." These feelings are normal. I'm right there with you--I take the losses really hard, as my wife can attest!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:44 am 

Dont forget the one part of this Rambler Renassaince has been the game day atmosphere...going to games and the student section filled....the one man tuba guy in the band...the rowdy , racsious Rambler fans on their feet after an LU run.....that part we control. WHile many may think we are in for a rought ride in the next year or two...hope we can continue to do our part , the part that we can control moving forward....