It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dan Muller
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:56 pm 

Of all the few conversations I ever had with Porter Moser, one thing that was always apparent was how much his getting fired from Illinois State left a mark on him. Obviously, in the end, it was a mark that he used as a motivator as he moved forward in his career, but a stinger nonetheless. I couldn’t help but think of that when I heard the news today that Dan Muller was being replaced. 5 years ago, he had that program humming, and was absolutely robbed of an NCAA bid. Who knows what would’ve happened in the years that followed if they got that bid. And then things went south in a hurry. Just another reminder that success can evaporate quickly in this business. I do wish him well.

The obvious next question is who will replace him. I, and I’m guessing maybe a few others here, might have a suggestion…a guy that went to school there years ago and coached on our sidelines for a decade+. But, a part of me also wonders how attractive that job actually is now, especially from the perspective of someone who has been Porter’s right hand man for years?

Post subject: Re: Dan Muller
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:18 pm 

With everyone bringing up Matt Gordon, it makes me think of Tony Stubblefield. He said he stayed at Oregon for years despite offers to be a head coach, one reason being that the pay was higher as an assistant at a high major school compared to a head coach at a low or mid major school. It may benefit Matt to stick with Porter longer. We'll see, it will definitely be interesting to see what happens with that program.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:53 pm 

although was extended the option of coaching out the season Muller has decided to leave and the team will be coached by assistant Brian Jones. Wonder how the team will respond to this ???? as we gotta play em..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:16 pm 

Great guy or not, I'm not really sure why you'd stay on anyway. The Greg Lansing and Barry Hinson situations were bad enough, but even they hadn't been fired before they coached at Arch Madness. Also what was the team going to say? No coach we never liked you and we want you to leave? Very awkward all around.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:39 pm 

Porter was fired from Illinois State and it left a bad taste in his mouth. I feel that ONE of the reasons he left Loyola was to prove to the AD's at Little Rock and ISU what a mistake they made.
Ironically the guy that fired Porter at ISU was AD at Kansas for awhile and is now AD at New Haven University. He sure moved up in the world; and Porter is in the Big 12 and getting a good laugh. I have to say Porter's record is 14-11 and even though struggling in the Big 12 he has some impressive wins and put together a good squad; very impressive since he had only three returning players.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:21 pm 

25yearstreak wrote:
Porter was fired from Illinois State and it left a bad taste in his mouth. I feel that ONE of the reasons he left Loyola was to prove to the AD's at Little Rock and ISU what a mistake they made.

Was he fired from Little Rock? I thought he just took a better job.