It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:47 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
My post-game thoughts:

1. Before anyone freaks out too hard - go back and look at the Michigan State and Auburn highlights on YouTube. This team is perfectly capable of playing with big boys at a high level. They’re just in a mid season slump right now - and despite that - they keep winning. 3-20 from three is not what this team is. Had they been just 6 for 20, it still would have been bad but they would have had a lead and forced Valpo not to run the clock. They will clean it up.

2. Veteran leadership saves the day again. Amazing job by Braden to have the confidence to knock down big shots in the overtime.

3. Wow, did Valpo players implode. I’m blown away at all the mistakes they made down the stretch in regulation.

4. Drew - please stop starting Hutson. He’s a project with potential but we are obviously better off with a smaller Knight. If we keep having these slow starts and don’t change anything, it’s concerning. We need to get our offense going out-of-the gate, and Hutson stifles our ability to do that. I don’t care if we give up points early if we are also scoring points early, and Knight gives us a far better chance at doing that. If you don’t trust Hutty in the second half, why do you put so much faith in him in the first half??? Bring him off the bench for relief minutes and take the pressure off of him.

5. To Keith Clemons - Loyola fans are behind you! If you start playing more - great! If things don’t get better for you this season - you’ve still been an awesome part of this program. I hope we see you have a break out game soon.

Right on the money on everything. This team will be fine…not many teams win games shooting 3/20 no matter who you play and we got it done. Valpo is top-heavy, but they’ve got some solid top level talent.

And completely agree about Hutty. Knight just makes us so much better right now on both ends. Bring Hutty off the bench for relief minutes, especially against bigger teams. He’s still so young, and coming off the bench may relieve some pressure off of him. Still think we may need to look to the transfer portal for a third big next year with Knight graduating and no incoming freshman bigs, but that’s a question for another day.

The whole Clemons situation is so weird…you have to think it’s still the lingering injury especially after tonight. We shoot so poorly and our guys are obviously tired, and he still hardly plays. Just doesn’t make sense without the injury explanation. But as you said, Rambler Nation is behind him 110%! He’s meant so much to this program these past few years and has been a class act all the way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:56 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
Also…

Auburn beats #22 Alabama tonight - good for us
Texas puts the hurt on #26 Oklahoma tonight - good for us.

Auburn might be ranked #1 next week. They will at least get some votes for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:59 pm 

JArsy_22 wrote:
ToledoRambler wrote:
My post-game thoughts:

1. Before anyone freaks out too hard - go back and look at the Michigan State and Auburn highlights on YouTube. This team is perfectly capable of playing with big boys at a high level. They’re just in a mid season slump right now - and despite that - they keep winning. 3-20 from three is not what this team is. Had they been just 6 for 20, it still would have been bad but they would have had a lead and forced Valpo not to run the clock. They will clean it up.

2. Veteran leadership saves the day again. Amazing job by Braden to have the confidence to knock down big shots in the overtime.

3. Wow, did Valpo players implode. I’m blown away at all the mistakes they made down the stretch in regulation.

4. Drew - please stop starting Hutson. He’s a project with potential but we are obviously better off with a smaller Knight. If we keep having these slow starts and don’t change anything, it’s concerning. We need to get our offense going out-of-the gate, and Hutson stifles our ability to do that. I don’t care if we give up points early if we are also scoring points early, and Knight gives us a far better chance at doing that. If you don’t trust Hutty in the second half, why do you put so much faith in him in the first half??? Bring him off the bench for relief minutes and take the pressure off of him.

5. To Keith Clemons - Loyola fans are behind you! If you start playing more - great! If things don’t get better for you this season - you’ve still been an awesome part of this program. I hope we see you have a break out game soon.

Right on the money on everything. This team will be fine…not many teams win games shooting 3/20 no matter who you play and we got it done. Valpo is top-heavy, but they’ve got some solid top level talent.

And completely agree about Hutty. Knight just makes us so much better right now on both ends. Bring Hutty off the bench for relief minutes, especially against bigger teams. He’s still so young, and coming off the bench may relieve some pressure off of him. Still think we may need to look to the transfer portal for a third big next year with Knight graduating and no incoming freshman bigs, but that’s a question for another day.

The whole Clemons situation is so weird…you have to think it’s still the lingering injury especially after tonight. We shoot so poorly and our guys are obviously tired, and he still hardly plays. Just doesn’t make sense without the injury explanation. But as you said, Rambler Nation is behind him 110%! He’s meant so much to this program these past few years and has been a class act all the way.

They mentioned some of Clemons’ health issues during the broadcast. Sounds like a tough situation. I have a feeling he’ll contribute before the season is over. But that’s based on nothing except a feeling.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:36 am 

Being there the last two games, it’s definitely not the same home court advantage without the student section. Crowds have been great but not the same amount of noise/disruption the student can create. I may end up owing Loyola some money for damages from the banging I’ve been doing against the new chair back in front of me to up the noise in their absence.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:56 am 

Great comeback - I will add this though, a team with a frosh walk on point guard who played 41 minutes due to injury of the starter, took us to 2OT. Bradley was missing its best player in the narrow escape.

This is not the same team that played so well in the Bahamas. Something is going on — Best case is that it’s the long lay-off, worse case is a staff beginning to lose the bench players.

I like Drew — but as a fan base — we have to be prepared for a few years of growth in the job...which can be bumpy. I think we’re in one of those bumps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:24 am 

Fortunate to get a win due to Valparaiso imploding with TO's and some improbable 3 pointers. We might not have been able to eke this one out had it not been some generous technicals called on Valpo.

I also agree about Hutty, for now. I always thought Welch deserves more minutes too.

I think the announcers' analysis, particularly wentzel's, was spot on, especially on Clemons. I wonder if Saint Thomas might get some of his minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:52 am 

Great comeback.
Give credit to Norris and Kennedy for stepping up.
Give credit to Coach Drew for getting them the ball.

Our offense requires us to hit 3s. Shooting 15% from outside should result in losses - about half of those shots were wide open. It was not good.

If we execute outside then they defense can't collapse on Hutson and Knight.

A couple of points - I would not say that Valpo blew that game as much as Loyola's defense pressured them into mistakes. The turnovers were caused by the defensive pressure.

I will give credit for the freshman's play. I though we should have pressed him from the beginning. The "walk-on" issue - is a Covid-related issue. There are so many kids in the transfer portal and so many super seniors - it makes it difficult for two stars players like him to get a look, much less a scholarship.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:00 am 

I really enjoyed the color guy on the broadcast last night. Was that Pete Gillen? Real straight shooter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:43 am 

Just a note on the walk on Ruedinger…he had a few D2 offers, then after the season ended last year both North Dakota and Valpo offered walk ons.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:19 am 

It seems like it's always tougher to get open and run a smooth offense in coference games. The teams know each other so well. Our focus on defense and getting stops to come from behind will serve us well.

The problem the past two games in my view has just been the starting five not generating much offense. Last night they combined for eight points at halftime. Kennedy ended up with a strong game, but he started slow. Teams are going at Hutson. I think it's worth making a change to try and shake it up a little bit.

What did they say about Clemons?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next