It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:35 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
So, Colorado State lost. That should be the top 25 slot we need.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have not been ranked in-season since the 80s, right? I am pretty sure I've never seen us play a game with a ranking by our name.

We were ranked last year in February. At that point in the season, we were 17-3 overall and 12-1 in the MVC.

It was the first time we were ranked during the regular season since 1985.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:38 pm 

I absolutely think (hope?) that all of the craziness and travel played into how we looked for about 25 minutes. We looked like we were running in mud, and some clearly looked gassed in the huddles. But, those last 5-10 minutes were like a shot of adrenaline, it was good to see.

Also great to be back at Gentile for the first time in two years. The place REALLY came alive late in the game, even without students there. A stark contrast to the games against Bradley when we first joined the MVC!

This is also going to make going into work Monday, with a Bradley grad co-worker, a lot better. Not gonna lie, I was really dreading that with around 15 minutes left.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:49 pm 

LU Rambler12 wrote:
ahunte1 wrote:
So, Colorado State lost. That should be the top 25 slot we need.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have not been ranked in-season since the 80s, right? I am pretty sure I've never seen us play a game with a ranking by our name.

We were ranked last year in February. At that point in the season, we were 17-3 overall and 12-1 in the MVC.

It was the first time we were ranked during the regular season since 1985.

Thanks. I completely forgot. But I also didn't go to any of those games ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:06 pm 

The Valley is just such a grind. Drake barely survives in Evansville against the likely last place Aces. SIU survives a late rally @Valpo to get a big road win and move to 2-0. And then UNI stays hot and gets a big time road win at Missouri State to move to 3-1 in MVC play. Panthers are clicking and looking like they may be a threat (as was expected in preseason). Absolutely need to hold serve at home this year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:30 pm 

I don't know if T25 is a guarantee. Colorado St. will fall, but we were 28 in AP and everyone else 21-27 came out of today looking good, unless I'm missing something that happened this week.

Regardless, impressive grit to come back and get the W. Would have been easy to pack it in when everything was looking bleak with 14 minutes left. Definite room to grow, but this team is tough.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:49 pm 

Yeah, that was a clown post by me. Sorry, all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:53 am 

I’m still in awe of the amount of depth we have this year. By my (amateur) count we had 11 guys play, and in a game as close as this, having options is so important. The 5 spot is a microcosm of that. Vs USF, Welch stepped up and was huge, and today it was Knight. Think a large part of why we were able to win today despite really poor shooting and some missed FTs was our depth. If can be a different guy(s) on any given night, which is absolutely huge.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:41 am 

could be lots of reasons. lack of play over the last month, not much time to recoop after USF, also Salt Lake City is about 4500 above see level...Denver 5300, time to prep for Bradley, but we looked sloppy...not first time this year. Mask gave us problems. I am hoping Hutty continues to develop but he has patches were he looks awkward. Knight and Welch play well but can get moved around down low by bigger guys... Valpo..has two guys playing both around 6'9 235.(Kittier and Krikke)...and on the court at the same time. But a gutsy win and you need those.
.but I really thought Clemons would be getting more minutes by the time conference play rolled along. I was told b4 the season started that this would most likely be a season long issue..
Even though we are struggling at center I love the versatility the lineup has to play different positions. I think we had some possessions where Hall and or Ugauk were playing center...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:49 am 

also just want to put in that Tate Hall may run hot/cold from 3 but he always contributes a ton of little stuff during a game. getting a loose ball, making a great pass. a defensive stop...just little stuff that adds up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:30 pm 

I second the kudos to Tate Hall. Had a chance to re watch the game - he was fantastic and a key to the comeback. Had a couple of nice driving baskets, several tipped rebounds and some great D - his normal hustle contributions that can go unnoticed. He also took a shot to the head in that rebound scrum the led to Tellaveinen's (sp?) second 3.....but was able to shake it off. Great game Tate!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6