It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:02 am 

Sunday, January 2, 2022 1:00 p.m.
Gentile Arena, Chicago, Illinois

Loyola men's basketball is back on the court Sunday for the first time since December 10--a 23-day layover due to Covid-- and it's not even against the team they thought they'd be playing. SIU is dealing with their own Covid outbreak that caused the postponement of their game in Carbondale, so the NAIA St. Xavier Cougars are headed to Gentile Arena for a much-needed tune-up game before conference play resumes (hopefully?) on Wednesday night in Normal.

The Ramblers have faced off against four other Chicago teams this year and come out victorious against Chicago State, UIC, DePaul, and Roosevelt. St. Xavier will be their fifth opponent from the city. St. X has already played one game against a D-I opponent this year when they lost 74-52 in Milwaukee against UWM.

The Cougars are coached by Robert Ford in his first season. They're 8-9 on the season, but a respectable 5-4 in the very competitive CCAC conference, which features two teams in the NAIA Top 25 rankings. SXU is likely to start 6'6" junior guard Jaeden King, 6'0" senior point guard Maurice Chambers, 6'2" senior guard Joshua Evans, 6'8" senior forward Jack Halverson, and 6'3" guard/forwad Charles Campbell.

Evans is their leading scorer, averaging 17.8 per game while also leading the team in rebounds with 7.7. He also leads the team in minutes, assists, turnovers, and steals. King is not far behind in scoring at 15.1 ppg while also snagging 5.1 boards per game. Chambers (13.3) and Halvorson (12.9) are also double-digit scorers. Tino Sebalj is a 6'9" junior forward who loves to shoot the three-- he's fired up 73 attempts coming off the bench. That's a respectable 38.4% average, and he scores 5.9 per game in 19 minutes off the bench.

Sunday's game will be free admission with proof of a vaccination or negative test, and seating will be general admission.

Loyola game notes: https://loyolaramblers.com/documents/20 ... 1_2_22.pdf

St. Xavier game notes: N/A

TV/Streaming video: ESPN+ https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=4d ... 59d5f7ee38

Radio/Streaming audio: https://loyolaramblers.com/watch/?Live=95&type=Live

Live stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=381568

Vegas odds: N/A

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:26 am 

I wonder how hard we tried to get a good replacement game. Lots of quality teams available due to other cancelations. I would have liked to see another Q1 opportunity, but I'm sure there were a lot of balancing factors (travel with the weather; playing an unfamiliar team on the road with little time to prep; at-large profile is in the OK spot now and we'd be risking it if we took a loss). A little disappointing that we were able to land @Wisconsin so quickly last year but stuck with an NAIA team this year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:38 am 

I hope you didn’t spend too much time on this again, JCT…. Oof…

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:50 am 

Oh come on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:22 am 

Ya gotta be freaking kidding me with this. Whatta joke.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:05 pm 

When we (hopefully) step on the court again this week, it’ll be roughly a month since our last game. That’s not ideal.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:11 pm 

How do I apply for a refund?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:06 pm 

More bullshit. Play the games!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:16 pm 

I've basically forgotten everything that happened earlier in the season. I think we almost beat Michigan State? I saw someone list Ryan Schweiger as our second leading scorer and I was like, "Oh yeah, I forgot we have those Ivy League guys."