It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:01 pm 

Sparky beating Creighton cant hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:03 pm 

Arizona State just upset Creighton, in Omaha, in one of the ugliest games I’ve seen in a while. Neither team looked good at all. But that should eliminate one team for now that was also receiving votes.

Depaul also survived UIC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:08 pm 

01grad wrote:
Arizona State just upset Creighton, in Omaha, in one of the ugliest games I’ve seen in a while. Neither team looked good at all. But that should eliminate one team for now that was also receiving votes.

Depaul also survived UIC

Needed that to help DePaul remain a Q1. If ASU gets Bagley back and wins some games in the Pac12 they should become a Q2.

I can't believe we're the only top 100 NET team in the MVC. What a disappointment.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:46 am 

Besides our current #16 in the NET, Haslametrics has us at #9....
https://www.haslametrics.com/ratings.php

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:20 pm 

Unofficially #30. 42 points this week, 20 last week.

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-colleg ... oll?week=7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:45 pm 

Depaul beat #20 ranked Seaton Hall today. Hopefully they can use this game to garner some momentum and pick up a few more wins in the Big East. Would definitely help our metrics a bit.

Other than that, we gotta quit it with these close games against the bottom of the Valley. The win against Valpo knocked us down a few NET spots and in kenpom.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:40 pm 

Too much emphasis on being Ranked.

Right now after last two OT games at HOME we do not deserve to be ranked. Since the COVID pause we have won 3 games, and while the OT wins showed guts and toughness, they were not well played games by LU. Since the pause we have not moved the ball and the bodies. We have reverted back to a lot of dribbling and one on one play. Even the win against USF was really just one on one with USF not having a defender who could handle Schwieger.

Just go back and watch the Vanderbilt game where the ball and the bodies were both moving. The pause set us back a little as we were really settling into a good rhythm every night out. I expect as we get our legs back and used to playing again, we will get back into our motion game.

We will be ranked at some point this season, so the complaining it a little funny to me. All we got to do is keep winning. Right now, based on last two games not being ranked does not bother me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:52 pm 

I think being ranked is an important indication that your program has acquired some respect. That's the primary reason I care about it. You see how a lot of schools can move up easily in the rankings or get ranked pre-season, and others have to be excellent without any blemishes or slip-ups just to hang on in the bottom rungs. You see how there are a lot of schools that are ranked despite being mediocre according to the efficiency metrics, and you see some that aren't ranked despite being high in the efficiency/performance rankings NET, KenPom. Some of it is conference affiliation; I think being in the A10 might help us a bit in that regard....

Though the committee swears it doesn't, I think being in the rankings on a regular basis vs. not being in the rankings probably has SOME affect on seeding (or even tournament selection). Yes, the selection committee is comprised of "experts" who review particular sets of metrics, but you can't tell me they aren't more sympathetic to programs that appear regularly in rankings and/or have a history in the tournament.

It's also important for recruits and their parents to see, and even for general name recognition for prospective students. Rankings are also tracked historically, providing a measuring stick for program recognition over time. I think all those things are true to some extent, so I'll admit I'm a bit fixated on getting us into the rankings when we have an opportunity.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:30 pm 

Plus it's fun!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:48 pm 

#RankLoyola, baby!

(Ill-Okla-LUC back-to-back-to-back this week is also pretty fun)