It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:09 am 

Think this is going to be long.
First point is that a lot of our troubles last night were due to a well coached ISUb squad. I thought they were very well coached.
1. This is the second team that has played us straight up man to man w/o much double teaming making it harder for us to get clean 3 point looks. They also got back on D further limiting 3s....That 3 from Norris at the end of the half was his first shot. they forced us to go one on one to the basket....where only Marquis had success....and then second half they helped out on him....We tried to take advantage at the start of the 2nd half by getting the ball to Hutson in the post unsuccessfully.....until Schwiegert, Knight and Williamson started having success going one on one...we struggled with the O....and still got 88.....ISUb also did a great job of not leaving their feet when we got to the hoop...They also forced the ball to one side making it difficult at times to swing the ball . They also trapped Norris on the wing not letting him reverse or get to the baseline. So selective double teaming. A lot of these were are defensive tactics in the past.
2. Offensively ISUb made it rough on us by really great spacing, and cutting a guy through the lane...tough and exhausting and making it really tough for us to double....and some of our guys were having to guard quicker guys w/o help....I applaud their Offensive scheme and our hustle..
3. I agree with the Welch comments...I think Welch is skilled and has some bball moxy,,,do not know why he is not getting time and Hutson is.
4. Williamson was a WARRIOR last night....he was full out brilliant at both ends of the court...
5. Schwiegert is a cool , cucumber....
6. Marquis Kennedy has really made strides offensively and defensively
7. Great to get a Conference win on a night where we were challenged on both sides of the court....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:11 am 

Completely agree on Welch. Watching the past four games closely, I am not sure what Hall brings to the table that Welch doesn't--better on defense perhaps but not as serious of an offensive threat. Hall led the team in turnovers today. Welch has shown the ability to hit from deep and slip free for easy layups. We are going to need him next year. I just don't understand it.

The defense was certainly concerning. But in Atlantis, we held two top 25 teams (including one of the top offensive teams in the country to 63 and 62 points. But giving up 77 to FGCU and 76 to Indiana State causes pause.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:28 am 

Just to play some devils advocate, I think the question of Welch not getting minutes comes more from the expense of Hutson than Hall. Hall is more of a 3/4, and is a little quicker (meaning he can guard closer to positions 2-4). I think he also had more of an ability to take defenders off the dribble and a quicker 3-point shot release. My bigger question is why is Welch not getting some of Hutty’s minutes? I understand that Hutty is our only true “big” (being 6-10 and about 240), but he still really struggles with low-post offense. I think Welch gives us more of an offensive lift, especially when we play smaller teams like ISUb (their big was tall but more of a stretch 5 than anything else). He’s also a little more mobile defensively than Hutty, IMO. Don’t get me wrong, I think Hutson is still very important to this team, but his low post offense can be maddening at times.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:06 am 

440Rambler wrote:
Guy in 111 was just training for $2 beers at Wintrust on Saturday. Got to be in peak physical condition for the rivalry game!

Wow amazing news, I'm going with a large group of friends on Saturday I had no idea they were offering $2 beers. Looks like I might be falling on Depaul fans.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:16 am 

Part of the reason we're having higher scoring games is because we're taking shots earlier in the shot clock - which i'm fine with. I love the extra pass but in years past we'd occasionally overpass out of a great shot and end up settling for just an okay one because defenses would catch up. This also leads to more possessions for the opposing teams.

It's also worth noting that mid major teams are trying to beat us by just jacking up threes as seen by Indiana State (27), UIC(24), and FCCU (34). We defend the paint really well in pick and roll to make getting to the basket tough, so opponents are just taking threes even if they're not typically shooters (Wilbar from INST took 6 yesterday after only taking 5 on the season).

It's a chess match, and we still won by double digits.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:15 am 

Hutty's development is important and he needs minutes, but I find it hard to believe that we can't taper 5 minutes off from Hutty and 5 minutes from Hall to get Welch in the game and see if he can be an asset, particularly against smaller teams.

If the goal is to try and get in the paint more, I would rather see Welch and Hutty out there at the same time, with Welch trying to back someone down in the post and Hutty on the wing ready to shoot the three or cut to the basket for a pass or offensive rebound.

I just think Welch can help us this year, and most importantly will have to help us next year, so any effort to get him involved now would be beneficial -- more so than Hall, who I love, but is not our future and not currently putting up stats that make him the far-superior option.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:24 pm 

Hall gets minutes because of his ability to defend the wing and his three pointer. He's not in the same category as Welch. Every year people on this board pine for more Welch minutes and yet they never come. Have to trust the coaching staff on that one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:40 pm 

Hunti was correct AGAIN we were NOT ready ALMOST cost us