It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:08 pm 

JCT wrote:
I think my expectations are realistic.... we're about the 35th to 40th best team in D-I this season. Not a top 25, but in the lower range of at large teams. That means to me that we should be able to beat 1 or 2 borderline ranked teams, and that we will probably lose 2 or 3 games against mid-level MVC teams. MSU wasn't ranked headed into this tournament, but they will probably be ranked #23 to #25 on Monday even with the loss to Baylor. Auburn was #19 with an OT loss to #22 UConn and a convincing win over us. The KenPom numbers aren't far off the AP rankings, but put us close enough to these teams that we should be able to pull a minor upset.

We knew this tournament was coming up for 2 years. As a team that needed at least one win to secure a likely at large, we knew the importance of these games. But we had long stretches where we looked (insert your term for not good and/or lost).

We have to play really well and get a win today over ASU.

Totally agree with your commentary JCT. Opportunities were there v. MSU. Taped yesterday's game but haven't watched it yet. Looks like it got away from them late as the score was pretty close throughout, at least when I was following on my phone. Have to salvage something today. Really wanted a win against Pearl...ughh.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:33 pm 

Momentum is important. It's reasonable that portions of the fan base, myself included, are critical right now. Gotta get a win tonight and clean up the self inflicted wounds. Conference season starts this week, and it's no fun to feel worse about Valley chances than I did at the start of the week.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:31 pm 

Auburn just absolutely dominated Syracuse.

A win tonight would be a nice end to the trip.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:09 pm 

“Hutson is bigger than anyone Arizona State has”

Definitely a different matchup than the last two days

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:39 pm 

Resilient game from the boys. Encouraged to see it, we're a better team than ASU and we are playing that way. Credit to the coaches and players for digging deep and getting up for this one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:05 pm 

What a game by Hutty.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:18 pm 

If we shoot 46% from three I bet we’ll beat a lot of teams. Definitely an ASU team that’s a step down especially defensively, but glad to see the ball moving and the team bounce back. Was wondering when Hutty would show off his range again, guess it was all this game! Makes me wonder if we could have dragged the MSU center outside the paint more.

Current rotation is pretty clear, didn’t even go down the bench until the very end of this one. Feel bad for Welch being on the outside, was hoping he could get some more minutes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:20 pm 

Really great to see us end the trip with a game like that. Technically that was the 7th place game…but we weren’t the 7th best team in the Tournament.

And I think we all knew Hutty could shoot, but opposing coaches are probably sweating a little more knowing that they’ll have to game plan for that outside shot the rest of the year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:12 pm 

It wasn’t the tournament we were all hoping for but nice to come out with a win there. Really enjoyable game to finish off the tournament and get us ready for Valley play. I was also thinking just how great it is to see Loyola play on national television consistently like this just a reminder how far this program in the last 10 years.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:56 am 

First of all we all love LUC Basketball. We can have discussions and if we disagree it’s OK. I can be harsh at times, but the really good teams will get the details right. The precision required to win a conference tournament, get to the dance and have a run can’t be underestimated. We are still working on this stuff, but we have to get it right. We could have beat MSU and Auburn if we were a little more precise.

Anyway, I have harped on moving the ball and bodies. We saw the beauty of the offense when we set screens, have movement. We got some great look from 3 today because we were popping the ball and moving. Here are some fun facts from our first 7 games:

Game 1 Coppin: 38 baskets, 31 assists, 12 turnovers. WIN
Game 2 FGCU: 33 baskets, 23 assists, 10 turnovers. WIN
Game 3 CSU: 33 baskets, 22 assists, 12 turnovers. WIN
Game 4: UIC: 29 baskets, 13 assists, 6 turnovers. WIN
Game 5: MSU: 22 baskets, 10 assists, 14 turnovers. LOSS
Game 6: Auburn: 21 baskets, 11 assists, 18 turnovers. LOSS
Game 7: ASU: 26 baskets, 20 assists, 11 turnovers. WIN

You can see by just these numbers that when we do not move and share the ball, we lose. We also had our two biggest turnovers games in our two losses. I know the counter argument is, well many of those games were against lesser teams, but the shots we have gotten in the high assist games have been noticeably better. Our 3pt stats are also better and those shots have been in much better rhythm in the games where we have moved and passed the ball.

Game 1: 20-46 3’s
Game 2: 8-21 3’s
Game 3: 11-23 3’s
Game 4: 8-14 3’s
Game 5: 7-20 3’s
Game 6: 5-18 3’s
Game 7: 12-26 3’s

It’s not complicated. Move the bodies, move the ball, don’t turn it over and this team win a conference championship, go to the dance, and make a run.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and let’s go get Indiana State and DePaul this week!