It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:39 am 

Ryan Schweiger is proving himself to be a very important member on this team. His offense kept us in the game. He was a spark off the bench and I'm looking forward to seeing how the coaching staff utilizes him in some of our bigger games this season.

On the other hand, I'm surprised that Keith received so few minutes. I wonder if he's rusty, or if he's still fighting through his injury.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:44 am 

Ryan getting some national recognition:

I really like his well-rounded offensive game. He can, of course, shoot the three. He can also get to the rim on drives. And what he showed for the first time in the UIC game is he can post up smaller players. He has great court vision and never panics or seems to be in a hurry. Very crafty player.

One "crafty" move of his is to use his off hand while dribbling to hook his defender to open up space for himself. He did that two or three times in the UIC game and never got called for the offensive foul.
I predict he'll have a few called against him during the course of the season though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:42 am 

I’m guessing they’re still playing it safe with Clemons?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:52 pm 

swellafelon wrote:

I really like his well-rounded offensive game. He can, of course, shoot the three. He can also get to the rim on drives. And what he showed for the first time in the UIC game is he can post up smaller players. He has great court vision and never panics or seems to be in a hurry. Very crafty player.

I said at the open practice that he reminds me of Tate Hall because he can both shoot it and also get to the basket. He seems to get easier shots in the paint than Tate does, however. Whereas Tate muscles through contact, Schweiger can use his long arms to get free. Good rebounder, too. He's playing great.

I also wish we hadn't played Lucas 39 minutes, but it is what it is until Clemons gets back fully. Hopefully he can.

I'm giving the coaches the benefit of the doubt here and assuming we will improve, but we have allowed a lot of easy baskets in transition and off cutters. I wonder if this is a defensive communication issue. Krut was super vocal..

Not to mention UIC and FGCU getting loose for threes in the same spot repeatedly to start the second half. I hate seeing that out of halftime.

But our offense has been so effective when we aren't forcing it inside that it hasn't mattered. I'd like to see Hutson be stronger with the ball and quicker to make decisions. Would help our flow even if he is passing more.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:20 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
swellafelon wrote:

I said at the open practice that he reminds me of Tate Hall because he can both shoot it and also get to the basket. He seems to get easier shots in the paint than Tate does, however. Whereas Tate muscles through contact, Schweiger can use his long arms to get free. Good rebounder, too. He's playing great.

I also wish we hadn't played Lucas 39 minutes, but it is what it is until Clemons gets back fully. Hopefully he can.

I'm giving the coaches the benefit of the doubt here and assuming we will improve, but we have allowed a lot of easy baskets in transition and off cutters. I wonder if this is a defensive communication issue. Krut was super vocal..

Not to mention UIC and FGCU getting loose for threes in the same spot repeatedly to start the second half. I hate seeing that out of halftime.

But our offense has been so effective when we aren't forcing it inside that it hasn't mattered. I'd like to see Hutson be stronger with the ball and quicker to make decisions. Would help our flow even if he is passing more.

Ahunte, you may know and I looked at the scholarship chart, couldn’t really tell. Do you know if Knight and Schwieger get an extra year after this one or is it one and done?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:41 pm 

Pretty sure they do not have another year available.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:22 pm 

Bummer, they have been fun to watch.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:51 pm 

Swella, your post about Norris reminded me that he did something yesterday that I don't think I'd ever seen before.

We're winning late, UIC scores and the clock is running. Norris lets the inbounds pass roll near half court as time ticks down, but kicker is the shot clock didn't start until he touched the ball!

Obviously you see the trailing team do that in order to freeze the game cock, but I never thought of freezing the shoot clock when you're ahead.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:56 pm 

I noticed that too, and the game clock DID keep running, but should it have?

My first thought was the game clock shouldn't have started until Norris touched the ball, but upon further reflection I think the running game clock was correct since UIC didn't call a time out after they scored.

Maybe Ramblermgr can chime in here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:45 am 

Swella, I will have to watch the tape. I hope I didn't make a mistake. Sec. 11 Art. 9 of the rules book states the clock shall stop after a made basket at 59.9 seconds or under.

Example: A field goal is successful with 1:02 showing on the clock but the throw-in doesn't take place until 0:57 is showing on the clock. The clock should not have stopped at 59.9.

The rule reads that the field goal has to be successful with 59.9 seconds or less on the clock, for it to be stopped.

Also it is when the ball goes thru the net. So if the ball starts to go past the rim (at 1:00.05) but does not clear the net until (59.8) the clock stops. If it clears the net at 1:00 the clock keeps running even if the throw in doesn't happen until 56.2 or whatever.

In conclusion, if the ball clears the net at 59.9 or under the game clock should stop. If it cleared the net at above 59.9 the clock should have run but not the shot clock.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next