It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Loyola joining A-10
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:44 am 

JPSchmack wrote:
Um, as our A-10 brothers, maybe you could have tipped us off to go OVER SCREENS on AJ Green, instead of under? Dear Lord!

I'm hoping UNI rides your coattails into the dance. That was not a fun day.

If that's the level of scouting in the A10, I think we'll be just fine ;)

Just kidding. As others have said, thanks for the warm welcome. It's quite a contrast from our Valley invite.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:41 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:
Um, as our A-10 brothers, maybe you could have tipped us off to go OVER SCREENS on AJ Green, instead of under? Dear Lord!

I'm hoping UNI rides your coattails into the dance. That was not a fun day.

If that's the level of scouting in the A10, I think we'll be just fine ;)

Just kidding. As others have said, thanks for the warm welcome. It's quite a contrast from our Valley invite.

Merry Christmas fellow Jesuit basketball fans! To say the moves Loyola has made to improve and enhance all of its sports programs is an understatement. Will live vicariously through your program. Good news in Detroit another Dad/Son combo is coming to an end. The problem will continue at Detroit until leadership changes. Some ray of light is possible in that we are in the process of hiring a new President, which alumni like me would like either a strong minded Jesuit from Loyola or Gonzaga come to Detroit. I know dare to dream…

Congrats on the conference move and will watch on TV as Loyola continues to advance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:57 pm 

LOL.... The last time we joined a new conference, this is how it went...

https://mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3068

The last 11 pages of posts are Wichita State fans looking to have a fist-fight with all comers....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:45 am 

JCT wrote:
LOL.... The last time we joined a new conference, this is how it went...

https://mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3068

The last 11 pages of posts are Wichita State fans looking to have a fist-fight with all comers....

Great find, JCT.

I’m particularly struck by the eventual irony of this statement:

Quote:
I calculated the RPI numbers of the MVC without CU and WSU, but with Loyola and compared that to the RPI of the Horizon without Loyola. Guess what - The Valley is the Horizon in that scenario.

Fast forward to the Summer of 2017. Wichita State leaves, and the Valley could potentially be on its way to being the Horizon. Except for one thing: Our run to the Final Four a few months later. Some fans of other Valley schools will refuse or struggle to admit it, but….we saved the reputation of the MVC. The Valley today would be as strong as ever if the traditional MVC schools had upheld their end of the bargain and gotten back to being potential top 100 schools. They didn’t. As such, this move by us is overall a smart move, even though I love the Valley and the local relationships to other schools. Almost every face to face interaction I’ve had with fans/alums of other schools has been met with a complete understanding the move. There have only been one or two who were a little mad about us leaving, and to them I simply had one reply: You didn’t want us anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:00 pm 

Well — of course the MVC fans were complaining about us joining—- we were Terrible! And with absolutely no recent history of success to lean back on.

As for the A10 — my feelings haven’t changed. Bad move.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:45 am 

The color commentator on last night's game at SIU touted the strength of the MVC, saying it was recently ranked as the 9th strongest conference, and even ahead of the A10. Did anyone else catch that?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:17 pm 

I did.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:29 pm 

There is one (more obscure) rating system where the MVC moved ahead of the A-10 and Mtn West...that is not the case in KenPom and Torvick. The A-10 has better teams at the top (especially once we join), but due to having 14 teams they have more bottom feeders as well.

In terms of tourney resume, a conference with more Quad 1 teams and more easy wins is ideal anyway. The Valley is the worst type of conference to be in with 0-1 Quad 1 wins available and no off-nights either.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:34 pm 

m52 wrote:
The color commentator on last night's game at SIU touted the strength of the MVC, saying it was recently ranked as the 9th strongest conference, and even ahead of the A10. Did anyone else catch that?

Yes, I did. I don't know the source... The way I remember hearing it, it was a coaches poll or something. Right now, the A10 is ranked 10th in Ken Pom and the MVC is a close-behind 11th. I guess some sharp math folks could figure out what the KenPom median team strength figure would be with next year's A10 and MVC teams. Might be interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:45 pm 

Mertz2003 wrote:

In terms of tourney resume, a conference with more Quad 1 teams and more easy wins is ideal anyway. The Valley is the worst type of conference to be in with 0-1 Quad 1 wins available and no off-nights either.

This is my thinking as well. Maximize Q1, and as long as you don’t fall to the LaSalle/Fordham cupcakes it’s a good position to be in. MVC is a minefield of realistic Q3/Q2 losses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next